The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

I didn't suggest he needed resting "every second week". And as much as I appreciate your efforts for king and country, I don't think the comparison is fair.

Yeah, it's definitely not fair... I was a riot and managed just fine with hard, physical work.

Wattret and every other 18 year old at this level are professional athletes. Now, nobody should be burnt out, but to suggest they can't cope with continuous weekly games, at the start of a season.... baffles me!?

Ps. I realise my post makes me sound like I did national service and I'm doing the old man yells at cloud things ha... but I'm only 40... And I still do a physically demanding job. 

They're athletes.

7 minutes ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

Yeah, it's definitely not fair... I was a riot and managed just fine with hard, physical work.

Wattret and every other 18 year old at this level are professional athletes. Now, nobody should be burnt out, but to suggest they can't cope with continuous weekly games, at the start of a season.... baffles me!?

Ps. I realise my post makes me sound like I did national service and I'm doing the old man yells at cloud things ha... but I'm only 40... And I still do a physically demanding job. 

They're athletes.

Fair enough. Let's agree to disagree - I have a relation who's a professional footballer in England and I know what he gets put through and it isn't easy.

Onwards and always AU

2 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

Fair enough. Let's agree to disagree - I have a relation who's a professional footballer in England and I know what he gets put through and it isn't easy.

Onwards and always AU

I'm in no way saying it's easy. I'm also not saying I'm right and you're wrong... I'm genuinely interested why that opinion is shared by a few of you on here? 

I personally feel, Browns training, hard graft and hard work has been a system shock (and then some) to not only our existing players, but also the one's that have came in. He's pushing hard as that's what brings success. Maybe a fair difference in fitness between Top flight and Championship players, but he know what professional footballs are capable of and has every right to get the best he can out of them. 

I'm sure, the line between pushing hard, getting the best and pushing to hard and far is something he's still trying to learn with Championship players...

6 minutes ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

I'm in no way saying it's easy. I'm also not saying I'm right and you're wrong... I'm genuinely interested why that opinion is shared by a few of you on here? 

I personally feel, Browns training, hard graft and hard work has been a system shock (and then some) to not only our existing players, but also the one's that have came in. He's pushing hard as that's what brings success. Maybe a fair difference in fitness between Top flight and Championship players, but he know what professional footballs are capable of and has every right to get the best he can out of them. 

I'm sure, the line between pushing hard, getting the best and pushing to hard and far is something he's still trying to learn with Championship players...

Good post - well done.

1 hour ago, F.T.O.F.1910 said:

I'm presuming any burnout potential would be mental rather than physical.   I know Brown's training is supposed to be more physical and intense than the remaining players from previous are used to but they won't be going through pre season style sessions every day.  

Young players haven't been through it all before and in his first season having a bit of a hard time in a 'big' game could have a negative impact.  It is generally better to take young players in and out, even Leo Messi only played 17 games at 18 :lol:

Dylan has also been away with Scotland for the first time and experienced pros can struggle coming back from Europe/international duty so that can be a factor as well.  

He looked himself making his runs and defending fine in the Scotland game and if the boy that was #4 would have made some simple passes instead of kicking the ball out for goal kicks all the time he'd have been involved more.  

From what I heard Brown wasn’t happy with Watrets performance against Falkirk and had a bit of a go at him saying he was too focused on the Scotland call up so I can see him potentially being dropped. I’d personally start him though as he’s a better option than McAllister. 

Feel as if Watret has gone off the boil a bit since all the Man United talk started

Also absolutely bonkers to throw McMann in from the start unless you're 100% sure he's fully up to speed (which I doubt)

Imagine the heads gone if he starts, lasts 10 minutes, goes off and he's not back to January...

Edited by Rb123

32 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'm presuming any burnout potential would be mental rather than physical.   I know Brown's training is supposed to be more physical and intense than the remaining players from previous are used to but they won't be going through pre season style sessions every day.  

Young players haven't been through it all before and in his first season having a bit of a hard time in a 'big' game could have a negative impact.  It is generally better to take young players in and out, even Leo Messi only played 17 games at 18 :lol:

Dylan has also been away with Scotland for the first time and experienced pros can struggle coming back from Europe/international duty so that can be a factor as well.  

He looked himself making his runs and defending fine in the Scotland game and if the boy that was #4 would have made some simple passes instead of kicking the ball out for goal kicks all the time he'd have been involved more.  

Pretty much this . There is a reason there are so few 18 year olds breaking through in Scotland. Dylan’s physicality looks a match for this division but the Falkirk left mid beat him to a loose ball in the first 5 mins and Dylan struggled after that . An experienced defender would have laid the Falkirk boy out at the next meeting and recalibrated from there . Dylan will have learned a lesson .

We persisted with the boy that was Forrest at the time because A) we had little other options B) we were way off the prizes back then . That’s not the case now .

The exception to this rule was a freak from Troon called Stevie Nicol . He was the last full back to break into our team in the Championship but that’s a fifty cap and European winner’s story . 

7 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Imagine the heads gone if he starts, lasts 10 minutes, goes off and he's not back to January...

No different to coming off the bench at 70 mins and getting minced by a tired Livingston forward . This is a bigger game than Falkirk, if match fit I’d play McMann for an hour , then move Nic over and get Dylan on . That’s just me though .

4 minutes ago, railwayend said:

Pretty much this . There is a reason there are so few 18 year olds breaking through in Scotland. Dylan’s physicality looks a match for this division but the Falkirk left mid beat him to a loose ball in the first 5 mins and Dylan struggled after that . An experienced defender would have laid the Falkirk boy out at the next meeting and recalibrated from there . Dylan will have learned a lesson .

We persisted with the boy that was Forrest at the time because A) we had little other options B) we were way off the prizes back then . That’s not the case now .

The exception to this rule was a freak from Troon called Stevie Nicol . He was the last full back to break into our team in the Championship but that’s a fifty cap and European winner’s story . 

Nice to see somebody else being called a freak from Troon.  A refreshing break. 

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Nice to see somebody else being called a freak from Troon.  A refreshing break. 

Read his book during Covid . Well worth a read , his pre match eating ritual would have been at odds with Scott Brown’s philosophy, but his ability to cover about 8 positions and out stat guys like Hanson , Souness and King Kenny would have been a perfect fit ..

1 hour ago, railwayend said:

Read his book during Covid . Well worth a read , his pre match eating ritual would have been at odds with Scott Brown’s philosophy, but his ability to cover about 8 positions and out stat guys like Hanson , Souness and King Kenny would have been a perfect fit ..

He’s was one of the thickest individuals to play football apparently. 

There are a few stories in his book, like stepping on a scale in a shop and thinking he’d put on 2 stone before his wife reminded him he was holding 2 bags of shopping. 

Bobby Conner told a story about him buying a motorbike and the then manager (McLean?) having a serious go at him for it, the potential of ending his career in a crash.

He came in the following morning and Conner said to him “what did the gaffer say to you yesterday? He’ll go daft if he sees you still have that bike” 

Nicol said to him, it’s ok, I parked it round the corner, he’ll never know. 

Nicol was standing in full leathers holding a crash helmet 

Edited by diegomarahenry

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

He’s was one of the thickest individuals to play football apparently. 

There are a few stories in his book, like stepping on a scale in a shop and thinking he’d put on 2 stone before his wife reminded him he was holding 2 bags of shopping. 

Bobby Conner told a story about him buying a motorbike and the then manager (McLean?) having a serious go at him for it, the potential of ending his career in a crash.

He came in the following morning and Conner said to him “what did the gaffer say to you yesterday? He’ll go daft if he sees you still have that bike” 

Nicol said to him, it’s ok, I parked it round the corner, he’ll never know. 

Nicol was standing in full leathers holding a crash helmet 

He worked for Patons during his playing days at Ayr and I’ve heard stories from old guys about how he was lucky he had ability in football as there was zero chance he was making a living doing anything else. 

He’ll have earned five times the amount that all those guys earned put together between his playing and managing days so it doesn’t mean much now. 

7 hours ago, JohnGAYR said:

Not if they were at Falkirk. Dylan should never have played so many games in a row. It was only because there was no one else.

He hasn’t played twenty games in a row, it was six or seven. 

There’s a need for protection, but it’s not like he’s been playing two games per week for months. His need for rest is being hugely exaggerated.

He can rotate with Musonda at times when everyone is back fit and McAllister doesn’t need to play RB. We can’t have someone as poor on the ball at full back at the weekend - it completely removes one of our strengths so far this season.