The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

There’s a need for protection, but it’s not like he’s been playing two games per week for months. His need for rest is being hugely exaggerated.

Agreed. He'll need an occasional rest as this is his first season at this level and he's still going to be growing. If he picks up a niggling injury it's important for his long term good we don't keep playing him. Look at Kieran Tierney. His issues are supposedly down to playing through injuries when he was younger.

29 minutes ago, Iain said:

Didn't realise we had so many sports scientists amongst the support.

I agree...the guys work about one and a half hours a day and a good part of that will be stretching and light ball work... Kieran Tierney would have been playing 60!games a season. Compared to around 45 if you are an ever present in an Ayr strip...I think the squad will have one really hard work session per week at this part of the session(possibly a Tuesday) for an hour..surely a super fit 18 year old can deal with that under the supervision of a sports scientist. There are 16 year olds playing first team football for Barcelona + international football ...

37 minutes ago, conley said:

I agree...the guys work about one and a half hours a day and a good part of that will be stretching and light ball work... Kieran Tierney would have been playing 60!games a season. Compared to around 45 if you are an ever present in an Ayr strip...I think the squad will have one really hard work session per week at this part of the session(possibly a Tuesday) for an hour..surely a super fit 18 year old can deal with that under the supervision of a sports scientist. There are 16 year olds playing first team football for Barcelona + international football ...

Doesn’t feel like those 60 games a season at a young age have done Kieran Tierney much good long term though. 

48 minutes ago, conley said:

Yep, with multiple nutritionists, physios, sport scientists, fitness coaches and personal trainers monitoring them with state of the art equipment and likely personal chefs :lol:

11 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Doesn’t feel like those 60 games a season at a young age have done Kieran Tierney much good long term though. 

I was pointing out that There is no comparison between the workload of Tierney at a young age and that of Watrets

13 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Yep, with multiple nutritionists, physios, sport scientists, fitness coaches and personal trainers monitoring them with state of the art equipment and likely personal chefs :lol:

I mean you don’t need multiple of any of those things - we have access to a nutritionist and have a physio and sports scientist. 

It’s a different world, but you don’t need a personal chef to support a young player to recover and to manage their development. There isn’t any complex equipment required either.

I’m sure it would be nice, but not having it doesn’t mean that Watret can’t play thirty odd games in a season. 

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I mean you don’t need multiple of any of those things - we have access to a nutritionist and have a physio and sports scientist. 

It’s a different world, but you don’t need a personal chef to support a young player to recover and to manage their development. There isn’t any complex equipment required either.

I’m sure it would be nice, but not having it doesn’t mean that Watret can’t play thirty odd games in a season. 

At the top level, they'll be on strict diets etc and have all these teams making them certain meals to be had a certain times, you see it all the time on they football documentaries. I am not saying Watret not having all that carry on will stop him playing X amount of games, but they guys are at the top level and that helps towards it.  Lamal for instance will have a more developed body/physique at a younger age than Watret due to having all that available. 

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

At the top level, they'll be on strict diets etc and have all these teams making them certain meals to be had a certain times, you see it all the time on they football documentaries. I am not saying Watret not having all that carry on will stop him playing X amount of games, but they guys are at the top level and that helps towards it.  Lamal for instance will have a more developed body/physique at a younger age than Watret due to having all that available. 

There’s no reason players at our level can’t be on strict diets with specific meal timings - it isn’t anything complex. It just involves more personal responsibility at this level, but ultimately it’s a choice. 

There’s obviously numerous companies that can put together your meals now too. 

There’ll obviously be things like cryochambers etc etc that give you an extra edge, compared to traditional ice baths. And obviously personal physios/massage therapists etc make a difference but at these clubs you are looking at seventy plus games per season. 

2 hours ago, conley said:

This sounds like a delightfully relaxed profession. surprised more people don't take it up.