The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

21 minutes ago, Nelson said:

If Brown gets to where he wants to get in football managment, then he’ll have to manage far bigger egos than Tomi Adeloye.  And that’s assuming Adeloye even has that big an ego in the first place - I’m amazed at the number of people on here who know him so well thatthey can opine on the type of person he is and/or take at face value every daft utterance that came out of Lee Bullen’s mouth.  

Personally, I couldn’t care less if he has a big ego so long as he scores goals, which history suggests he absolutely would.  

I thought it was more about the training and game stats showing a lack of effort than his ego. Even Calum on the media team called this out on a few occasions. If the tempo wasn't suitable for Bullen it would have been interesting to see how Brown took to it

11 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So Bullen was just flat out lying then. Or what about the fact he's had more clubs than birthdays.

When did I say he was lying?  He made a throwaway comment at the vision night about him being a confidence player who needed a bit of “managment”.  That seemed to be a jumping off point for some people to conclude that he’s an unmanageable prima donna.  People who seem to know the guy better than his mammy, apparently.  And yes, Bullen did drop him in favour of Fraser Bryden way back at the start when we still thought he was the Messiah and we were neck deep in the “he’s one of our own” pish.  But he was brought back into the team pretty quick and scored the goals that kept us up.

People also seem to forget that whatever his reservations, Bullen wanted to retain Adeloye for the following season, which suggests he did see his worth.

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

I thought it was more about the training and game stats showing a lack of effort than his ego. Even Calum on the media team called this out on a few occasions. If the tempo wasn't suitable for Bullen it would have been interesting to see how Brown took to it

Callum didn’t portray himself in the best light when discussing Tomi, so possibly best to say his opinion is absolutely irrelevant. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Callum didn’t portray himself in the best light when discussing Tomi, so possibly best to say his opinion is absolutely irrelevant. 

I also remember another poster on here who is connected to the club and only posts positive news also referenced it 

10 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

I think it was called out by someone on the media team at half time in a game in which Adeloye wasn’t even playing.  I vaguely remember some posters on here getting pretty upset about it as they felt (unfairly I think) that there was a whiff of something unpleasant about their stereotyping of a black player as “lazy”.  I personally think Bullen was probably right - he’s a confidence player whose performance in any given match is largely dictated by how good his first touch of the day is.  He also caught Covid just after Bullen arrived which might have affected him more than was realsed at the time.  If he performed consistently the way he did when he came on against Kilmarnock in the 2-1 game at Rugby Park, then he would probably be playing at a decent level rather than bouncing from one club to the next.

9 minutes ago, Nelson said:

When did I say he was lying?  He made a throwaway comment at the vision night about him being a confidence player who needed a bit of “managment”.  That seemed to be a jumping off point for some people to conclude that he’s an unmanageable prima donna.  People who seem to know the guy better than his mammy, apparently.  And yes, Bullen did drop him in favour of Fraser Bryden way back at the start when we still thought he was the Messiah and we were neck deep in the “he’s one of our own” pish.  But he was brought back into the team pretty quick and scored the goals that kept us up.

People also seem to forget that whatever his reservations, Bullen wanted to retain Adeloye for the following season, which suggests he did see his worth.

"and/or take at face value every daft utterance that came out of Lee Bullen’s mouth." That would be here.

"That seemed to be a jumping off point for some people to conclude that he’s an unmanageable prima donna." Or maybe it was the interviews he gave where it went into it in more detail than just a throwaway comment 

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

"and/or take at face value every daft utterance that came out of Lee Bullen’s mouth." That would be here.

"That seemed to be a jumping off point for some people to conclude that he’s an unmanageable prima donna." Or maybe it was the interviews he gave where it went into it in more detail than just a throwaway comment 

Can’t say i remember any other interviews where Bullen was particularly harsh on Adeloye.  I think it was obvious that his relationship with James Maxwell had broken down long before the end of that season, but Adeloye finished the season strongly, scored the goals that kept us up and was evidently wanted by Bullen for the following season, though the suspicion was he wanted a London based club which he ultimately got.

Bottom line is that he scored 12 goals in a rank rotten Ayr side and had a very healthy goals per minutes return for  Partick last season.  The Partick fans seem pretty keen for him to come back, which should probably tell us something.

On the other hand, George Oakley has rarely got into double figures for a season throughout his career with last season at Morton being a real outlier for him.  2 league goals in 9 suggest double figures might be pushing it for him this year too.  McKenzie has scored about 2 league goals in the last 2 seasons.  The idea that Adeloye wouldn’t add much needed goals to our options just seems a bit daft to me.  Unless McLennan can be reasonably prolific I suppose, though based on his interview, he clearly doesn’t see himself as a part of a front 2.

38 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

My guess is different rules form when it’s SPFL to non SPFL, Viviani did similar last season jumping from Gretna to glenafton to Troon

Exactly that. The rule only applies to the top four divisions.

Adeloye was a bright spot in an otherwise shite era. He hasn't really done a lot since and that's a pity. People spend a inordinate amount of time dwelling on him.

McAlear guaranteed a 30-yarder today.

A loss today and people might as well reconcile themselves with a mid-table finish. A lot of players haven't been good enough recently, if they were ever good enough in the first place, and need to step up or this team will look very, very different next season regardless of where it finishes.

Edited by Thumper

30 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Adeloye was a bright spot in an otherwise shite era. He hasn't really done a lot since and that's a pity. People spend a inordinate amount of time dwelling on him.

McAlear guaranteed a 30-yarder today.

A loss today and people might as well reconcile themselves with a mid-table finish. A lot of players haven't been good enough recently, if they were ever good enough in the first place, and need to step up or this team will look very, very different next season regardless of where it finishes.

We are currently eight points above mid table…

Livingston are a decent side, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see us lose and drop off to battling for third/fourth but I don’t see why a loss today would mean a mid table finish. 

At the same time, there’s no reason we can’t win today and get some momentum back with players returning. 

Edited by No_Problemo

It was discussed earlier in the week, but Watret out and McAllister still in is rancid. My assumption is that McAllister will still be at CB but we’ll see. 

As is Murphy on the bench - didn’t even notice that one. 

Edited by No_Problemo