The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

McCallisters slack pass, made when he was last man, was made under no pressure, to. livi player absolutely nowhere near an Ayr player. It’s like he has football Tourette’s. His brain decided to do the worst thing at that time. 
After that he just made a mess of every pass he made 

23 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We were absolutely fine in the opening stages of the game today, and largely dominated most of it so I don’t see how there was an issue in the middle of the park. 

The only reason we didn’t win the game was the failings of McAllister and particularly Oakley and McKenzie on top of that. We missed at least five clear cut chances. 

Posts like this make me doubt we are all experiencing the same objective reality.  

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Posts like this make me doubt we are all experiencing the same objective reality.  

The stats do tell a story of one team dominating...

Unfortunately the only stat that matters was not in our favour. 

There's little point in rotating players out due to pishness only for their replacements to then get rotated out in kind two weeks later.

It's going to be a long slog until January and Brown had better know exactly what he's looking for. Bullen was rightfully abused for signing a bunch of pointless wingers when long-standing problems hadn't been addressed.

Edited by Thumper

Really frustrating game. We were more on the front foot and more cohesive than against Falkirk and that was probably our best performance in a few weeks. Poor defensive errors killed us though. Having McMann back is a huge boost and, in retrospect, its a pity he didn't start. I also thought there was enough from McLennan and Bavidge to suggest that they have something to offer.

Some folk saying Livi weren't that good. Maybe not, but they were both clinical and cynical enough to suggest they'll not be far away. As for the challenge on Rus by Clarke - it looked out of control to me which is a straight red.

10 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

The stats do tell a story of one team dominating...

Unfortunately the only stat that matters was not in our favour. 

Livingston look a really strong, experienced and well organised team.  They don’t look like they have enough goals in them to run through teams 3 and 4 nil, but probably have enough quality to grind out results.  They seemed happy to drop back in the second half and back themselves to see out the game - risky approach I suppose, but they look properly solid defensively and are well schooled in the dark arts (there number 5 spent most of the afternoon falling on his backside and winning free kicks).   For me, they were better than us when and where it mattered.  I really don’t recall the 5 clear cut chances referenced above or the first half domination of the midfield.  For all the hype around Falkirk, I think Livingston will take some stopping over the season.

I’m basically happy with the job Brown is doing, but injuries have killed us a bit and perhaps our early season form raised expectations too high.  Given time I think he can get it right.  But when McKenzie and McAllister are in your starting 11, then you have to feel we are just a bit short of quality for this season.  

5 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

I don’t care what anyone says - we will never win the championship with Paddy, Nick and Mark in the starting 11

This has been the chat the last 2 or 3 weeks with me and my mates. We won’t win this league while we are starting these guys. And I know we have injuries before anyone points it out but they are too low a standard.

33 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Livingston look a really strong, experienced and well organised team.  They don’t look like they have enough goals in them to run through teams 3 and 4 nil, but probably have enough quality to grind out results.  They seemed happy to drop back in the second half and back themselves to see out the game - risky approach I suppose, but they look properly solid defensively and are well schooled in the dark arts (there number 5 spent most of the afternoon falling on his backside and winning free kicks).   For me, they were better than us when and where it mattered.  I really don’t recall the 5 clear cut chances referenced above or the first half domination of the midfield.  For all the hype around Falkirk, I think Livingston will take some stopping over the season.

I’m basically happy with the job Brown is doing, but injuries have killed us a bit and perhaps our early season form raised expectations too high.  Given time I think he can get it right.  But when McKenzie and McAllister are in your starting 11, then you have to feel we are just a bit short of quality for this season.  

Oakley missed two clear cut chances, McKenzie another two and Henderson as well. Two or three of those chances were absolute sitters. McKenzie and Oakley both missed from four yards out. 

I said we dominated most of the game, there certainly wasn’t an issue with the midfield . 

Livingston weren’t remotely solid defensively today, we had a ridiculous amount of chances but ultimately we didn’t take them.

2 minutes ago, Only me... said:

Only one way to find out for sure, Friday night showdown in the hospitality room. Should be plenty of foldable chairs and tables available for jumping on.1831811-722569114.jpg.c424d93d326682a516b6f660df2ab112.jpg

Drew's Ayr local is still the Toll. Might be worth getting someone to ask if he can bring the pain on the underachievers.

1 minute ago, Young Eddie said:

Lowest crowd of the four fixtures today was at Somerset for a top of the table match. We've still got a bit of a work to do on and off the park

A team fairly notorious for fairweather fans in the middle of October (disclaimer: I sure as f**k wasn't paying the better end of seventy bucks to get there and back and watered today) against a franchise with no fans. Not entirely surprising. Ayr would benefit more than any other Scottish team from a summer league.

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Oakley missed two clear cut chances, McKenzie another two and Henderson as well. Two or three of those chances were absolute sitters. McKenzie and Oakley both missed from four yards out. 

I said we dominated most of the game, there certainly wasn’t an issue with the midfield . 

Livingston weren’t remotely solid defensively today, we had a ridiculous amount of chances but ultimately we didn’t take them.

The only position there was an issue with was defence. If McMann started today then we don’t concede that first goal. I’m not sure who let Yengi free in the middle of the park to play that ball through but I can’t really blame Ben Dempsey as he’s been playing on his own in the midfield for large parts of this season. 

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The only position there was an issue with was defence. If McMann started today then we don’t concede that first goal. I’m not sure who let Yengi free in the middle of the park to play that ball through but I can’t really blame Ben Dempsey as he’s been playing on his own in the midfield for large parts of this season. 

I dunno, we haven't played well for ages*.  Guys like Henderson going under the radar that haven't really been at it. 

*We did today mostly 

Edited by itzdrk

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I dunno, we haven't played well for ages*.  Guys like Henderson going under the radar that haven't really been at it. 

*We did today mostly 

Today was probably the best we’ve played since the Raith games. Our press was really aggressive and we competed well for second balls. We could’ve done with better final passes on the counter attack but guys like McKenzie and Oakley are so clumsy so that doesn’t help. McLennan still looks a bit rusty but hopefully will get better. 

We need a shake up in the final third though. We aren’t scoring enough and before today we hadn’t been creating a whole lot of chances.

Not that I think Brown will abandon his 442/4231 but I’d like to see us move to something more like this with these players,

IMG_5087.thumb.jpeg.346ea255e2d7fc0f028a03275bc6a855.jpeg

Not that I’m convinced with Oakley but he’s the only striker remotely capable of holding the ball up right now. I was a big fan of the combinations on the left between Murphy, Reading and McMann at the start of the season but for me Murphy has to start every game he’s fit. Likewise, I’m not a huge fan of Syla but when Rus goes walkabout he leaves gaps in midfield and Syla would help patch them. I had considered Howley in there but I’m guessing he’s injured at the minute? 

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Today was probably the best we’ve played since the Raith games. Our press was really aggressive and we competed well for second balls. We could’ve done with better final passes on the counter attack but guys like McKenzie and Oakley are so clumsy so that doesn’t help. McLennan still looks a bit rusty but hopefully will get better. 

We need a shake up in the final third though. We aren’t scoring enough and before today we hadn’t been creating a whole lot of chances.

Not that I think Brown will abandon his 442/4231 but I’d like to see us move to something more like this with these players,

IMG_5087.thumb.jpeg.346ea255e2d7fc0f028a03275bc6a855.jpeg

Not that I’m convinced with Oakley but he’s the only striker remotely capable of holding the ball up right now. I was a big fan of the combinations on the left between Murphy, Reading and McMann at the start of the season but for me Murphy has to start every game he’s fit. Likewise, I’m not a huge fan of Syla but when Rus goes walkabout he leaves gaps in midfield and Syla would help patch them. I had considered Howley in there but I’m guessing he’s injured at the minute? 

IMO, we looked far better today so just need to continue with that. Murphy in for McKenzie most of the time though. McKenzie did well, but he just can’t miss those chances. 

At the moment Oakley doesn’t look good enough to be the focal point in the middle of a three either plus McLennan really started to come on to a game second half today. 

38 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

Howley was on the bench today, so assumed the injury was minor

I've seen nothing from Howley to suggest he's even remotely good enough for this level. Maybe it's a confidence thing as he's a young guy but he just doesn't look interested. If have Syla in there before him all day.