The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Probably the best performance we've had in a while, arguably since we lost dowds.

Only thing lacking was a finisher in final third and still the odd brain fart at the back which we were deadly punished for.

Apart from that there was really nothing in it.

Felt with Dowds we could go toe to toe with Falkirk and Livi but without I've a gut feeling they're both slightly ahead and 3rd is best we can hope for. 

Make or break January to get us a proper replacement for Dowds

I've only seen a small sample size of Ayr this season so could easily be wrong but I felt the Dowds injury was especially unfortunate. The attack which began the season firing so impressively was structured so Dowds could excel. I imagine that's partly why Brown went for 4-4-2 (Livi and Falkirk both only play with one striker who doesn't score often). So it wasn't just losing a really good player but also a player that was key to the tactical set up. This slight dip in results could just be a period of re-calibration since the Dowds loss. Brown will soon find the best way to compensate.

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

I've only seen a small sample size of Ayr this season so could easily be wrong but I felt the Dowds injury was especially unfortunate. The attack which began the season firing so impressively was structured so Dowds could excel. I imagine that's partly why Brown went for 4-4-2 (Livi and Falkirk both only play with one striker who doesn't score often). So it wasn't just losing a really good player but also a player that was key to the tactical set up. This slight dip in results could just be a period of re-calibration since the Dowds loss. Brown will soon find the best way to compensate.

He'd tried changing to 4/2/3/1 on a couple of occasions since losing Dowds but yesterday was a 4/4/2 and it showed that it suits us best IMO 

27 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

anyone know how Ollie is getting on at east Stirling? 

Kept 2 consecutive clean Sheets in his past 2 games, 3 in total in 12 games 

also got a straight red card in one game for taking a player out mainly due to poor defending 

Edited by muZZa__44

If we’re being totally honest we have too many players who aren’t good enough starting regularly to mount a title challenge. Players like Russell, McKenzie, Reading and McAllister should be nowhere near the starting 11. Stone hasn’t been great however is quite clearly a better option than Russell. Not seen enough of McIntyre to really make a judgement on him. He played against Thistle done okay and hasn’t been seen since. 

I think it’s playoffs at best for us now, I expect Falkirk and Livingston to pull away. With the squads Thistle And Raith have they are surely going to improve at some point too. 

All a bit scunering after what was a really positive start. 

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If we’re being totally honest we have too many players who aren’t good enough starting regularly to mount a title challenge. Players like Russell, McKenzie, Reading and McAllister should be nowhere near the starting 11. Stone hasn’t been great however is quite clearly a better option than Russell. Not seen enough of McIntyre to really make a judgement on him. He played against Thistle done okay and hasn’t been seen since. 

I think it’s playoffs at best for us now, I expect Falkirk and Livingston to pull away. With the squads Thistle And Raith have they are surely going to improve at some point too. 

This is the fifth or sixth post I’ve seen where we’re lumping Reading into the same bracket as the likes of McAllister. 

I’d say that Reading has been one of our most consistent performers this season and had a really good game yesterday. You do worry if there’s a howler round the corner but at the minute he’s been great. McMann is obviously a better player and can play left back but I’d leave him where he is. He’s got a better view of the game in front of him and his distribution from centre back was really important for us at the start of the season. 

11 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

IMO, Reading (this season) and McKenzie shouldn’t be getting lumped in with McAllister. 

McKenzie clearly has a role to play in certain games as a squad player and occasional starter in certain games and Reading has been decent this season - though first half yesterday he was poor a few times. 

If McKenzie scored one of his chances yesterday his performance would rightfully be raved about, unfortunately he didn’t as it isn’t something he can do - being why he’s only a squad player. He had numerous really nice moments yesterday, and continues to improve though. 

Edited by No_Problemo

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This is the fifth or sixth post I’ve seen where we’re lumping Reading into the same bracket as the likes of McAllister. 

I’d say that Reading has been one of our most consistent performers this season and had a really good game yesterday. You do worry if there’s a howler round the corner but at the minute he’s been great. McMann is obviously a better player and can play left back but I’d leave him where he is. He’s got a better view of the game in front of him and his distribution from centre back was really important for us at the start of the season. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

IMO, Reading (this season) and McKenzie shouldn’t be getting lumped in with McAllister. 

McKenzie clearly has a role to play in certain games as a squad player and occasional starter in certain games and Reading has been decent this season - though first half yesterday he wasn’t.

If McKenzie scored one of his chances yesterday his performance would rightfully be raved about, unfortunately he didn’t as it isn’t something he can do - being why he’s only a squad player. He had numerous really nice moments yesterday, and continues to improve though. 

Reading was more confident/maybe given more freedom to go up and down the left hand side of the pitch earlier on in the season.

That has changed since he's lost McMann alongside him and LCB and Muprhy infront of him in LM

1 minute ago, Rb123 said:

Must really have too much spare time on your hand to go back about 7 weeks to find this...

There’s a search function it’s pretty easy it takes about 3 seconds. Just click the wee icon at the top and type in “pyramid”.

Can you give me the answer please.

1 minute ago, Rb123 said:

Reading was more confident/maybe given more freedom to go up and down the left hand side of the pitch earlier on in the season.

That has changed since he's lost McMann alongside him and LCB and Muprhy infront of him in LM

I think that’s a good point - and my guess is it is because of the loss of pace in the centre back positions. Hopefully we see more of that again now McMann is back. 

Murphy is obviously an excellent player to link with too and some of the combinations between those three players are great to watch. 

12 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I don't really find it scunnering. I would've taken a mid table finish at the start of the season. Considering how bad we were last season and the squad turnover required, I was expecting it to take a couple of seasons to get to a position where we can mount a proper title challenge. The good start got our hopes up but I'm fairly content with where we are at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

I don't really find it scunnering. I would've taken a mid table finish at the start of the season. Considering how bad we were last season and the squad turnover required, I was expecting it to take a couple of seasons to get to a position where we can mount a proper title challenge. The good start got our hopes up but I'm fairly content with where we are at the moment.

Absolutely agree. Obviously we'd all like to see promotion but it takes time to build and gel a team. A huge positive is having a lot of our best players on longer contracts.

We've definately made progress on and off the park this season and it's still early days. Teams will definitely start to take points off each other after the first quarter of the season is done. I'm happy with where we are just now.

I'd also say McMann is our most important player. Solid in defence and great distribution. Having him back is huge.

22 hours ago, itzdrk said:

No idea why we wanted to keep pumping the ball in for headers today.  Pointless.  

Oakley becoming a bit of a problem for me now.  Doesn't give us anything, first touch like Stonehenge and not much better finishing. 

thierry-henry(1).gif.49d80a083dddb9a95a391908dcacba2c.gif

sorry, gotta dash, got some other gloating business to take care of.