The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

24 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Away travel seems to have changed quite a lot since covid.

Lot more people happy just going up in cars or taking a train to Glasgow and making a day out of it before veering off to a nearby game (seen as most teams are around the central belt)

Fact also the bus price now somehow makes trains look cheap is a big factor too. Remember probably only about 6 years ago it used to be like £10/£12 to get supporters bus to an away game only an hour away, not £20...

Due to there being no busses for a couple of seasons the majority of folk who used to travel on bus to most  away games have now found alternative means of travel. The strict rules regarding drink on the bus also put a lot of people off. Obviously I completely understand why the driver/folk running the bus put the rules in place as it’s them that get punished if the bus is stopped and drink is found. 

This season the league is pretty central with our furthest away game being about an hour and a half away at Kirkcaldy. I prefer travelling by train and having a few drinks in the town were playing at pre/post match then back in Glasgow. Would probably be most tempted to get bus again if it left in enough times to allow for a few drinks before the game but I’d imagine a lot of folk that get it would rather just go straight to ground and straight home. 

8 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Toll bar bus stopped running due to getting raided by police on way to morton.

Praise be the polis for ridding the world of Ayr fans having a drink on the way to the football.

Much better than pesky tasks like attending break-ins.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Praise be the polis for ridding the world of Ayr fans having a drink on the way to the football.

Much better than pesky tasks like attending break-ins.

2_swr_ayp_170219booze.jpg

Crime won't crack itself

35 minutes ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Think the last time i was in the drouthy was 2010. Can't mind it ever being open after that. The ship shut yonks ago, and the river cottage was only a few years back. 

Weird how many buses used to run out of different pubs in Ayr. My Dad ran a bus from the checkers when he ran it a thousand years ago I'm sure, there was one out the drouthy, latterly the ship and river cottage. Now where is there? Just the toll bar? 

The Chase had one for the Falkirk QF a couple years ago I think.  The last time I was on any Ayr bus for a game was from The Wallace for the League Cup semi against the vermin, but that was ages ago obviously, and likely a one-off as well.

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Yes, and if you look at posts on here you'll see that while people will always moan about something, the moaning about the owner has pretty much evaporated. And there's nobody suggesting that Brown was a mistake. So people choose to moan about the things that still need improved. Right now that pretty much boils down to the fullbacks, and the biscuits. If Brown could address the former and the owner the latter people would have even less to moan about.

Hearing of a major fall out between the club and the academy, has anyone else heard this?

Problems with communication led to young players missing out on training with first team. This in turn led to members of the first team staff messaging u18's players directly to organise. Davie White not happy he'd been missed out and had chucked his toys out the pram (which actually seems to be more about him being frozen out of the 1st team set up). all academy players been stopped from training with first team and no staffing support to academy in the other direction.

A number of promising young players have left to join our pals in East Ayrshire, seems to be a bit of a revolving door for players going by the academy social media. 

Younger age groups, being lead by parents of the players or coaches from boys clubs. Given how excellent we are constantly told the academy is..... im a bit surprised by this. 

Seems a bit of a mess.

1 minute ago, AyrUnited_78 said:

Younger age groups, being lead by parents of the players or coaches from boys clubs. Given how excellent we are constantly told the academy is..... im a bit surprised by this. 

Seems a bit of a mess.

Can't comment on the rest, but I do know one parent who's stepped in to coach their daughters group, as they were being left to themselves whilst coaching focussed the 'A' group.

39 minutes ago, AyrUnited_78 said:

Hearing of a major fall out between the club and the academy, has anyone else heard this?

Problems with communication led to young players missing out on training with first team. This in turn led to members of the first team staff messaging u18's players directly to organise. Davie White not happy he'd been missed out and had chucked his toys out the pram (which actually seems to be more about him being frozen out of the 1st team set up). all academy players been stopped from training with first team and no staffing support to academy in the other direction.

A number of promising young players have left to join our pals in East Ayrshire, seems to be a bit of a revolving door for players going by the academy social media. 

Seems a bit of a mess.

Hard to imagine the Ayrshire Post wouldn't be all over a story like this if it were true

4 hours ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Now where is there? Just the toll bar? 

I was in the Toll the morning of the Falkirk game and two different people called the bar asking when the bus was leaving. Of course three quarters of the staff had absolutely no idea what they were talking about, along with 100% of the regulars.

4 hours ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Weird how many buses used to run out of different pubs in Ayr.

That was when there were pubs in Ayr. I was out with a pal a few weeks ago on a Monday night and for a laugh we did a Sandgate pub crawl. We were literally the only people in Billy Bridges.

Twenty years ago the Subway on Carrick Street used to need a bouncer on the door in the middle of the week. A neutron bomb would have done less damage to Ayr than what's happened since then.

Edited by Thumper

1 hour ago, Iain said:

Hard to imagine the Ayrshire Post wouldn't be all over a story like this if it were true

Nothing against VOR and this isn't specifically at him, but Scottish football journalists have a very nearly 100% record of failing to eat the goose that lays the golden eggs. The biggest scoop in my lifetime was ignored by nearly everyone except a crackpot blogger until it was physically impossible to hide it.

There was a regular bus from the Ship Inn the season after we got promoted as I used it a few times including up to Dingwall on a double decker - Shankland scored but we got beat, think Josh Mullen scored a cracker.  

Also got a bus a couple of times in the Akinyemi season- one to Hamilton on a Friday night and then to Falkirk in cup and Partick in playoffs - Partick one was from Smiths as I think the Ship had shut by then.  

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

That was when there were pubs in Ayr. I was out with a pal a few weeks ago on a Monday night and for a laugh we did a Sandgate pub crawl. We were literally the only people in Billy Bridges.

Twenty years ago the Subway on Carrick Street used to need a bouncer on the door in the middle of the week. A neutron bomb would have done less damage to Ayr than what's happened since then.

Aye, Ayr's pretty deid. I moved out in 2012, and it was on the cusp of going completely to shit then. Every subsequent return sees one more place closed  and a vape shop or phone repair shop opened in it's place.

10 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Be interesting to see if Mutch plays for Stranraer tomorrow night in the Scottish cup, maybe indicate if he has a future at Ayr. 

Yes it’ll be interesting to see if he plays . Thought it was an odd interview with Rob McLean. Not sure if it was a hint of fighting his way back in or giving other clubs the news that he’s back fit . If I remember correctly the boy gave up a good job in the oil industry to go full time with us ! Hasn’t quite worked out this far .

11 hours ago, AyrUnited_78 said:

Seems a bit of a mess.

While taking this with a huge pinch of salt, if this is the case it doesn’t reflect very well on anyone. 

Affecting the development of players, both by not letting them train with the first team and limiting staffing are equally poor. 

22 minutes ago, railwayend said:

Yes it’ll be interesting to see if he plays . Thought it was an odd interview with Rob McLean. Not sure if it was a hint of fighting his way back in or giving other clubs the news that he’s back fit . If I remember correctly the boy gave up a good job in the oil industry to go full time with us ! Hasn’t quite worked out this far .

He’s the most experienced of all the keepers we have but has also proven to be not that good. 
I am sure that in January, Stone and McIntyre will be off, I wouldn’t like to go in to the sharp end of the season with Mutch and Russell as our two goalkeepers.
Keeping Mutch, loaning out Russell and bringing in a new keeper to compete with Mutch would be my preferred scenario. 

31 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Keeping Mutch, loaning out Russell and bringing in a new keeper to compete with Mutch would be my preferred scenario. 

Agree, Stone would probably be fine for the season if he plays a run of games. Russell isn’t ready to be a no 1 at a Championship club yet.

Cheeky request from Brown to Celtic for Scott Bain for 5/6 months?