The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I don't understand, from a career point of view, why any manager would jump from a promotion prospect that would help their career, too a relegation prospect at an equally unstable club. 

Surely Patrick aren't paying much more than what Ayr were?

Who knows. We will move on though...

A few of my dads mates were/are big Ayr fans so always had a bit of a soft spot for you lot.

Hope the whole compensation thing gets sorted amicably for both teams and you lot go on and pump the Dundee teams to the title (unless by some miracle McCall turns our rabble into promotion/title contenders of course).

If nothing else, would be a shame for McCall's legacy to be tarnished by the whole thing getting drawn out and messy.

Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the season.

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Stewart is a very good coach and under the new manager I'd want him to stay but don't want him as manager. The board always chose the cheap option so fully expect him to get it. 

McCall was not the cheapest option ! Some cheap things turn out to be real bargains 

It's quite amusing that the Ayr Advertiser lists Derek Adams as a 'former Kilmarnock striker'. To my recollection he played (briefly) for Ayr but never Kilmarnock?
Never played for Killie. Played only four games for Ayr on loan from Motherwell in 99-00 season.

8 minutes ago, Iain said:

It's quite amusing that the Ayr Advertiser lists Derek Adams as a 'former Kilmarnock striker'. To my recollection he played (briefly) for Ayr but never Kilmarnock?

Four games while on loan from Motherwell for us. Perhaps they are getting mixed up with Sandy Stewart, who was at Rugby Park briefly.

2 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

What can be more safer than a guy who knows all the players inside out , has worked with them for approx 15 months , attended and participated in every training session , this guy is far more experienced than most of the names being banded about , more the save  option than the cheap option in my opinion 

It's got to be Sandy Stewart for me, I can only comment on what I've seen with my own two eyes and that's the fact that our training and style of play appeared to change dramatically for the better when Stewart came through the door.

I'm not saying it was all down to him, however since he's been at the club we've played excellent possession based pass and move football which just wasn't there before his appointment, so if he's got ANYTHING to do with that style being adopted then we should 100% be offering him the top job right now, or at the very least tying him down as first team coach.

McCall has done very well for us, of that there's no doubt, however as much as he's done great things there's also been the relegation season where we were being outclassed by a poor Dumbarton side and were paying fortunes to dumplings such as Harkins and El Alagui so it's not all been sweetness and light as some would have you believe.

Having said that I'm still sorry to see him go but think that some need a reality check as it's certainly not the end of the world.

The main priorities after sorting out our Manager has to be attempting to tie down the likes of Forrest, McCowan, Harvie and Roscoe as they're our future and undoubtedly are being watched by many........

Edited by WATTOO

Did he not take charge when they were pretty much on their way down and manage to keep them up? Or was that when he came back as a player?
He got two or three scrappy wins against bottom six opposition. And then he lost a couple but they'd done enough.

Some Dundee fans saw the writing on the wall in those early defeats and didn't want him to continue the next season but he did... And the rest is history.

He's one of those 'philosophy' managers who would want to pass out from the back at all times. In no way would that suit us in this league.

Yes we want free flowing attacking football but defenders have to defend, and sometimes you have to grind it out.

It's very much a no from me.