Arbroath v Dumbarton | Dumbarton v Arbroath | Championship Play Off Semi

You have no way of knowing what the future holds, I in no way ever saw Dick Campbell sitting on our dugout, but 1 survival, 1 championship and a championship playoff later

If he carries on as he’s started Petrie could be managing Rangers in a few years. Somebody has to.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely it should be league 1 title and not championship?

No, 1 survival, 1 league2 championship, 1 championship playoff, which we played the 2nd leg of today

2 minutes ago, ecto said:

No, 1 survival, 1 league2 championship, 1 championship playoff, which we played the 2nd leg of today

Apologies, but you haven't been in the championship so it would be a league 2 title or win and not "1 championship and a championship playoff.

I’m struggling to think of any stage we were in danger but kept thinking if you keep giving a team the ball theneventually they might score.
at the risk of being lynched I thought nisbet did ok when he can on today

I felt the same, as much as arbroath had most of the play they never got behind us once; Dowie and Dill did well.

Thought there was some good game management late on between Nisbet and Stirling. Obvs not the late free kick we tried to keep in the corner.

Respect to Arbroath; they gave us two good games and maybe the only difference between us were our 3 cb's across the tie.

Apologies, but you haven't been in the championship so it would be a league 2 title or win and not "1 championship and a championship playoff.

It was a league 2 Championship

And a championship play off

Nothing wrong with what ecto said

16 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

I felt the same, as much as arbroath had most of the play they never got behind us once; Dowie and Dill did well.

Thought there was some good game management late on between Nisbet and Stirling. Obvs not the late free kick we tried to keep in the corner.

Respect to Arbroath; they gave us two good games and maybe the only difference between us were our 3 cb's across the tie.

I watched the first tie , something to do, 

as I’ve seen dumbarton  3 times in the league I thought Arbroath would struggle to score against them they have 3 very Street wise cb, killing the game, professional fouls, organising, aggressive, don’t get caught out very often,

the first game dumbarton looked like scoring on the break as Arbroath where all over the place at the back. for all the possession Arbroath had In the first game I felt dumbarton where comfortable , 

im not shocked at the result or the way the game played out

on a plus note decent league 1 next year

I think Arbroath are on the right track for sure, going for 2 successive promotions is no mean feat. Unfortunately Ayr (f/t)were rampant this Season, Raith (f/t) too for a while & Alloa hit form in spells, especially of late.

There is a noticeable difference between Championship and League 1 though.

What we have achieved the past 5/6 Seasons is pretty remarkable when you think about it.

Regards

I think Arbroath are on the right track for sure, going for 2 successive promotions is no mean feat. Unfortunately Ayr (f/t)were rampant this Season, Raith (f/t) too for a while & Alloa hit form in spells, especially of late.
What we have achieved the past 5/6 Seasons is pretty remarkable when you think about it.
Regards

Aye you’ve done brilliantly well

Obviously a huge gap and would have expected to finish bottom if we got up anyway but I reckon DC could’ve pulled off a few cracking signings if we’d went up

Not to be though, unfortunately it looks like Raiths league to lose but I’d fancy us to get in the play offs again next year

Would take seasons like this any day over being stuck in the bottom league which is just utter shite, so although it’s disappointing still got a decent looking season ahead to come up again

15 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Regards

Absolutely.

No part-time team will replicate what we have achieved.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye you’ve done brilliantly well

Obviously a huge gap and would have expected to finish bottom if we got up anyway but I reckon DC could’ve pulled off a few cracking signings if we’d went up

Not to be though, unfortunately it looks like Raiths league to lose but I’d fancy us to get in the play offs again next year

Would take seasons like this any day over being stuck in the bottom league which is just utter shite, so although it’s disappointing still got a decent looking season ahead to come up again

Yeah, for sure.

The Lichties have had a very decent Season.

Don't be banking on Raith being a certainty next Season though, they look like they're imploding & may end up Part-time.

We now face an Alloa side with 5 or 6 recent ex-Sons in their numbers :o

Our gameplan was surprisingly simple, we set out to get a goal and then sat deep to defend it, allowing Arbroath plenty of the ball without much end product.

Not sure backing off was the best strategy and would rather of seen us keep up the pressure rather than invite it.

In the end we got the result and I'm not sure about talk of needing to raise our game for Alloa. Looking at league 1 would suggest we face a similar challenge to the one we just successful negotiated.

Btw.. all the best to Arbroath for next season (expect against us if we are relegated).

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

That’s a crippling amount that willl destroy your budget. If you stay up then that will cause huge issues

Of course if we get relegated that amount won't cause any issues at all.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

One dimensional?

What could we actually do when you had so many men behind the ball? You got a throw in with about 15 minutes left, 4 players were forward and 6 of your players circled the 3 we had upfront, our defence spent most of the game on the halfway line, what were we supposed to do?

For 186 minutes all your team did was pump it long and work with the scraps. No shame in it, it's clearly worked for you this season but chances weren't taken when they came. If you don't understand why a team who have been getting beat most of the season are trying to shitfest their way through the play offs then that's not our fault. It's down to Arbroath to break it down but if it wasn't for a Dowie brain fart today you wouldn't have had a goal. Your attack was one dimensional and it never changed, hence why Dougie Hill easily stepped into our team and dealt with everything you had. 

For 186 minutes all your team did was pump it long and work with the scraps. No shame in it, it's clearly worked for you this season but chances weren't taken when they came. If you don't understand why a team who have been getting beat most of the season are trying to shitfest their way through the play offs then that's not our fault. It's down to Arbroath to break it down but if it wasn't for a Dowie brain fart today you wouldn't have had a goal. Your attack was one dimensional and it never changed, hence why Dougie Hill easily stepped into our team and dealt with everything you had. 

We’ve played good stuff this season, we haven’t been pumping it long all season.

I totally understand why you’ve tried to shitfest it, but surely then you can understand why we’ve played the way we have, your own fans have all admitted you’ve been sitting in deep, every player in your own half for most of it. Incredibly hard to play through.

Would’ve been good to see how it panned out if we had went infront. Saying we pumped it long for 186 minutes isn’t true either. Up until the first goal last weekend and after it had went 1-1 we did play through you, create chances and could’ve scored a few more.

With you having that lead today it was a totally different game.

19 hours ago, Housecaptain said:

I have been retired for 11 years and never once have I had to prove that I was entitled to enter by the concession turnstile until to-day .Either the ticket collector had poor eye sight or I have found the elixor of youth and now look 11 years younger than I actually appear. Obviously Dumbarton must be short of money when the go to these lenghts.

I had the same having to prove my age and actually take my bus pass out of its holder to show the photo. I've got into Faslane easier than get a concession at Dumbarton!

also in the match programme yesterday paul sherrin was named as our manager . come on dumbarton keep up [emoji33]

Has Paul Sherrin ever been our manager, if they put Paul Sherrin, then they were wrong twice [emoji6]

Archived