Cove v's Cowdenbeath / Cowdenbeath v's Cove

5 minutes ago, Yur maw punts cooncil said:

Hopefully cowden kick on now, talk of they should be automatically relegated is nonsense. They we’r a championship club a not so long ago. Proves it could happen to any club. Hopefully they have the last laugh and start to climb the leagues emoji106.png

'WERE' is an important word here. Now they're the worst team in the entire SPFL and should be gone.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cowden only have to turn up for 90mins in one game in May to stay up. Cove have had to win their league (no easy feat) and come through a high pressure tie before even facing Cowdenbeath.

Scottish football playoffs are set up to reward mediocrity.  

Bottom two should be automatically down from Premier, Championship and League One with one down from League Two.   The playoffs should be between teams who are going for promotion.  There should be no second chance for teams finishing bottom/second bottom. 

Lowland/Highland League teams have to go through two sets of playoffs.  Bottom of L2 just one set and, for some bizarre reason, they get home advantage in the second leg every season.  It's all set up in favour of protecting teams from relegation when the best thing for the game is to see teams promoted and movement between the leagues.  

I also think it's fundamentally unfair to base things on playoffs between teams from different levels.  If a Highland/Lowland League team is promoted they will have a higher budget and improve their squad in League Two.  Also, if there is such a huge gap between League Two and the Highland/Lowland Leagues then the promoted team will go back down the next season anyway.

2 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Cowdenbeath will likely go on to finish 10th again next year due to a combination of an uninspiring manager, shite budget and laughable facilities - three bottom-placed finishes prior to the playoffs would have been enough for a vote to decide whether a club should retain their place in the leagues.

Was just about to ask if that rule had been disposed of when the play-offs were brought in; presumably the answer's yes.

Congratulations to Cowden. It's no time since we were both battling it out against Rangers and Hearts. There but for the grace of God, etc.

The fact that there exists a play-off between the champions of the two leagues below League 2 mitigates any perceived "chasm" - which, given every playoff tie since their inception has been tight, is clearly fiction anyway. Cowdenbeath will likely go on to finish 10th again next year due to a combination of an uninspiring manager, shite budget and laughable facilities - three bottom-placed finishes prior to the playoffs would have been enough for a vote to decide whether a club should retain their place in the leagues. The thought of them sneaking through a playoff tie again sickens me. The only team I can imagine challenging them for the wooden spoon next season, as things stand, is Edinburgh - unless MacPherson leaves QP or Albion Rovers have a mass exodus.

The past few years have shown us that there is very, very little between the top of the feeder leagues and the bottom of league two. Get the automatic rellies in.

Hopefully it’s Clyde in that position next year nobody will miss you boys, employing sex offenders.

Well they can continue to dominate their farmers league where they can score cricket score every week against 20 stone footballers.

What a thuggish team getting 3 players sent off in injury time, the highland league is a complete joke as these playoffs have proven time and time again.

Cove absolutely shat the bed in that second half and that's the reason they lost. The refereeing performance was genuinely horrendous with wrong decision after wrong decision going in Cowdenbeath's favour, but ultimately Cowdenbeath were comfortably the better team in the second half while Cove were completely flat. They were in control of the game at half time and they only have themselves to blame for allowing Cowdenbeath back into it in the first place regardless of how Cowdenbeath took control after they got back level.

Edit: I should add as I've focused on Cove there, Cowden came out absolutely flying in the second half and were excellent. I don't know what Bollan did at half time but it worked.

2 minutes ago, SmokedHaddock said:

The Highland league has teams who don't even want to be promoted, show me another league setup that has a situation like that?

I hear that, to an extent (and it is a problem that so many of the teams seem not t).  But just because some teams in that League have no ambition to be part of the SPFL, I don't see that that warrants placing unnecessary obstacles in front of those ambitious teams that DO want it (and have proven themselves to be the best the league has to offer over a long season).  Nor should it be a reason why the worst the SPFL has to offer does not get relegated.  If they are that much better than the non-league teams, they'll be back up in no short order. But I don't think they really believe they are that much better or that getting promoted again would be that easy.

Well done to the team. Let's put this shit season behind us and improve next season.

Wish I'd been there to see the scenes at the end. 3 red cards in stoppage time - tell me there will be highlights somewhere?

Scottish football playoffs are set up to reward mediocrity.  
Bottom two should be automatically down from Premier, Championship and League One with one down from League Two.   The playoffs should be between teams who are going for promotion.  There should be no second chance for teams finishing bottom/second bottom. 
Lowland/Highland League teams have to go through two sets of playoffs.  Bottom of L2 just one set and, for some bizarre reason, they get home advantage in the second leg every season.  It's all set up in favour of protecting teams from relegation when the best thing for the game is to see teams promoted and movement between the leagues.  
I also think it's fundamentally unfair to base things on playoffs between teams from different levels.  If a Highland/Lowland League team is promoted they will have a higher budget and improve their squad in League Two.  Also, if there is such a huge gap between League Two and the Highland/Lowland Leagues then the promoted team will go back down the next season anyway.

With tiny leagues of only 10 teams I think you might make a case for automatic relegation of the bottom club and a playoff for the second bottom... at most. Well done Cowden ... usually punching above your weight

If the teams who are champions can't beat a team who have struggled to get a win all season over two games do they actually deserve to be in the league ahead of them? They are obviously not better than them.

If you introduced a play-off between the bottom team in the Premiership and the top team in the Championship there would be plenty of instances where the Premiership team won. It'd still be a nonsense.

There have been four play-offs so far; three of them have been decided by one goal and the other was decided on penalties. The Edinburgh City v East Stirlingshire was just as close as the other play-offs and yet Edinburgh City haven't finished bottom since coming up and East Stirlingshire haven't been near promotion. Edinburgh City are hardly the biggest in terms of historically non-league clubs either. Annan is another example.

If Cove got promoted and gained access to the financial benefits of League Two, as well as greater publicity and almost certainly bigger crowds, then there's every chance that they'd be a good addition to the league. On the other side of that coin, can anyone say with confidence that Cowdenbeath would beat Kelty, East Kilbride, Spartans, East Stirlingshire etc. to the title as well as negotiating two play-offs to get back in? They wouldn't be odds on, put it that way.

For years just about every SFL fan in existence moaned about the SPL being a closed shop due to it only having one relegation spot.

Now many of the same people try to argue that results like today "are proof that there shouldn't be automatic relegation from the SPFL". Bunch of fucking hypocrites.

3 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Well done to the team. Let's put this shit season behind us and improve next season.

Wish I'd been there to see the scenes at the end. 3 red cards in stoppage time - tell me there will be highlights somewhere?

Some on Twitter 

Archived