Wasps -vs- Sons - The Final.

6 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Well that one was indicative of the reaction in the press box. They thought red. Shocked them at least. 

There was no challenge anywhere near a red card tonight. The 2 challenges it is suggested should have been were hardly yellows. The closest anyone should've been was Ross Stewart who, after being booked, continued to throw himself about too much.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, squeezeboxson said:

There was no challenge anywhere near a red card tonight. The 2 challenges it is suggested should have been were hardly yellows. The closest anyone should've been was Ross Stewart who, after being booked, continued to throw himself about too much.

You're not too far away on Stewart. I thought his yellow was  a pretty needless foul and the ref let him off with a late challenge after it.

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

You're not too far away on Stewart. I thought his yellow was  a pretty needless foul and the ref let him off with a late challenge after it.

He was your best player by miles tonight. But he seems to throw himself about a bit too much. I just hope he hasn't injured Handling too badly because our squad is pretty thin as it is and we've had more than our fair share of injuries this season.

Furthermore, the last thing Danny needs is another injury.

6 minutes ago, somerset_lad said:

Well your job is to provide match updates but shouldn't it be a true reflection on whats actually happened. I understand when it's your team it can be hard not be a bit one sided but when you're describing some of Dumbarton's fouls as "shocking" or "ferocious" when they're not whilst getting beat it can look a lot like sour grapes.  

Again what's true?  If you want me to report: Yellow card Player then that'll be true but then why not watch live text on the BBC for that? If I spice it up even with a little hyperbole then I don't see how that takes away from the game. If anything it adds something to the story. Maybe one you don't agree with but I'm sure you can learn to live with it.:lol:

Again what's true?  If you want me to report: Yellow card Player then that'll be true but then why not watch live text on the BBC for that? If I spice it up even with a little hyperbole then I don't see how that takes away from the game. If anything it adds something to the story. Maybe one you don't agree with but I'm sure you can learn to live with it.:lol:

Didn’t say you had to turn into a robot on Twitter but it makes it look like you’re throwing toys out the pram when you over exaggerate fouls committed by Dumbarton. I’m sure the Alloa fans might find it funny but to everyone else it looks a bit embarrassing.

I might not fully agree with it but I don’t think I’ll worry about it next season when we’re in different leagues.

Dumbarton got their tactics spot on- whether they had done their homework or played their normal game (unsure since i havent seen them all season obviously) is immaterial. We played in a similar fashion at Starks Park defending a lead. No one cares about how its done at this stage, the result is everything.

A draw might have been a fairer reflection of the game overall but fair play to the visitors.

Both teams put it about a bit at times and nothing wrong with that. Still in the tie for Sunday.

Well your job is to provide match updates but shouldn't it be a true reflection on whats actually happened. I understand when it's your team it can be hard not be a bit one sided but when you're describing some of Dumbarton's fouls as "shocking" or "ferocious" when they're not whilst getting beat it can look a lot like sour grapes.  

No its not his "job" to provide bland updates on a game, there are plenty of sites where you can get those.
If a fan is doing twitter updates for a club I expect it to be as a fan. I don't always agree with other fans around me at matches as we all see the same incidents differently but I get why they react the way they do. And equally if the tweets involve ripping the pish out of the opposition, their fans, the officials or even the governing bodies that should also be fine.

Us sons fans were all very apprehensive before this game. I think we all thought alloa would give us lots of problems and that we may struggle against their attacking threat. Whilst we still lack quality up top and have relied on another wonder strike to find us a goal. Our defence was excellent and has been all season, can't really fault the centre halfs this year. What tonight proves is that there is quite a gulf between league 1 and the championship and I reckon whatever one of us wins on Sunday will struggle next season against 9 FT teams, which I believe would be the 1st time in our 6 years in the championship there hasnt been another PT team.

43 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Us sons fans were all very apprehensive before this game. I think we all thought alloa would give us lots of problems and that we may struggle against their attacking threat. Whilst we still lack quality up top and have relied on another wonder strike to find us a goal. Our defence was excellent and has been all season, can't really fault the centre halfs this year. What tonight proves is that there is quite a gulf between league 1 and the championship and I reckon whatever one of us wins on Sunday will struggle next season against 9 FT teams, which I believe would be the 1st time in our 6 years in the championship there hasnt been another PT team.

Think I was one of the only ones who wasn't overly worried about Alloa as such. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting us to run over them. Equally, I didn't expect them to steamroller us. I expected a tough and close match and yeah, I was nervous in the lead up to the match. But once we got in front we looked very comfortable.

As for the part in bold, this is also something I have been saying all season. It was highlighted most of all when we beat Raith way back in the cup. It was our most comfortable looking  victory of the season in my opinion even though at the time Raith were flying in the league.

Just hope we can get our noses in front in the 2nd leg and take it from there!

Delighted to get the win albeit by means of decidedly grim tactics.

Coupled of key moments in the match:

- The goal, which was magnificent.

- Kirkpatrick going off injured, removing Alloa’ s primary means of unlocking  our defence.

- Mango’s tackle, from which he swaggered away like Conor McGregor. 

Shout out to our central defenders who demonstrated that they are Championship level  They were just generally excellent. 

Good performance from Carswell and the much-maligned Nisbet. It was good to see a striker playing as a striker and I think he’s worth a start on Sunday. Burt offered more than Handling and should start on Sunday.

I’m anticipating a fast start in the 2nd leg. Whoever scores next will be in the Championship next season I reckon. And it could go either way.

Clear gap between champ and div 1 bearing in mind we were 17 behind 8th. 

Lastnight I wasn’t worried about all the Alloa possession as majority of it end up back with us. Yes I would have liked us to move 10 yards collectively further up but other than that game pretty mush as expected.

Dumbarton got their tactics spot on- whether they had done their homework or played their normal game (unsure since i havent seen them all season obviously) is immaterial. We played in a similar fashion at Starks Park defending a lead. No one cares about how its done at this stage, the result is everything.
A draw might have been a fairer reflection of the game overall but fair play to the visitors.
Both teams put it about a bit at times and nothing wrong with that. Still in the tie for Sunday.

Yep, I don't have a problem with Dumbarton's tactics. Getting the early goal encouraged them to keep doing that.

With Kirky going off we lost some of our goal threat, but I thought we played well overall - Flanny and Robbo were class - and probably should have got a draw. Dowie and Barr were rock solid for Dumbarton who looked a cut above Raith Rovers.

Ref was spot on as well.

The Alloa twitter stuff is a bit sour grapes, but hey.

They'll feel we shitfested it, but had the shoe been on the other foot, they'd have done exactly the same thing. As one of their fans has admitted on here they did against Raith.

They'll feel they're still very much in the tie which they are, but I feel that given we did counter a fair few times second half, although didn't work clear openings, that we're more than capable of seeing it through on Sunday. All to play/shitfest for.

Archived