Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

That’s 7 unbeaten in the league now, drastic improvement from the start of the season. Definitely positives to take, just need to find that cutting edge to put teams away. Going forward it’s still a bit lethargic & lacking creativity. 

On to Stranraer next week I would make 2 changes to the starting 11 yesterday. Mykyta in for Skelly & Thomson on the right in for Allan.  
I think Allan’s a decent wee player, still young but he has pace to burn which would be useful coming on as a sub to stretch the game if required. 

2 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

That’s 7 unbeaten in the league now, drastic improvement from the start of the season. Definitely positives to take, just need to find that cutting edge to put teams away. Going forward it’s still a bit lethargic & lacking creativity. 

On to Stranraer next week I would make 2 changes to the starting 11 yesterday. Mykyta in for Skelly & Thomson on the right in for Allan.  
I think Allan’s a decent wee player, still young but he has pace to burn which would be useful coming on as a sub to stretch the game if required. 

Yes, have to agree. I didn’t see us stringing together a 7 game unbeaten streak, decent run.

5 hours ago, RateofKnots said:

There's the makings of a decent team.

It's whether the tactical set up is holding them back or not thats the worry.

I think it’s a lack of quality in the front areas 

11 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

How's big Russell McLean getting on at Station Park? I thought it was a bit of a kiddy-on signing but you can't really argue with five goals in seven games!

He looks lazy and uninterested most of the time to me but there is a very clear correlation between our upturn in results and his arrival in the team.  At the time looked a fairly desperate signing but could well pay off. 

2 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

He looks lazy and uninterested most of the time to me but there is a very clear correlation between our upturn in results and his arrival in the team.  At the time looked a fairly desperate signing but could well pay off. 

A remarkable footballer. When it clicks for him, he looks like he could be playing in the Premiership but his lack of application and body language is such a turn off that it's hard to believe he's still in the SPFL. Fair play to him though, and fair play to Forfar Athletic.

20 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

A remarkable footballer. When it clicks for him, he looks like he could be playing in the Premiership but his lack of application and body language is such a turn off that it's hard to believe he's still in the SPFL. Fair play to him though, and fair play to Forfar Athletic.

Given the paucity of our striking options up to then (the triangle of terror that was Skelly / Mutale / Ferguson) it was probably a risk worth taking in January, the 18 month length of his contract could yet prove to be problematic should we stay up (or even more so if we go down).

2 hours ago, farfirloon said:

Anyone making the trip to Stranraer on Saturday? I see there is a road closure, does anyone know how much of a hassle this is? Just trying to plan a leaving time from Forfar.

I'd go with teatime on Friday.

On 26/02/2024 at 14:25, Francesc Fabregas said:

How's big Russell McLean getting on at Station Park? I thought it was a bit of a kiddy-on signing but you can't really argue with five goals in seven games!

For me the thing that's stood out is not just that he's scored goals, but he's scored different types of goals, a tap in from being in the right place against Elgin, good finishes from further out against both Peterhead and Clyde as well as an excellent stooping header against Peterhead too. One of our major issues has been not having a natural goalscorer, really since John Baird left (not that I'm saying Rusty is anywhere near that level of player, he's obviously not).

Sure he'll be frustrating a lot, and it remains to be seen if historic reports of attitude issues re-occcur, but I'm happy having a lazy player if they can contribute the way he has so far. Now I've said that he probably won't score again this season!

On 26/02/2024 at 21:09, farfirloon said:

Anyone making the trip to Stranraer on Saturday? I see there is a road closure, does anyone know how much of a hassle this is? Just trying to plan a leaving time from Forfar.

Don't follow the official FB advice via Newton Stewart, that's 144mile extra from Girvan, turn right in Barrhill (follow station signs) head to Castle Kennedy...only 68 mile round trip.

2 hours ago, tbsouth said:

Don't follow the official FB advice via Newton Stewart, that's 144mile extra from Girvan, turn right in Barrhill (follow station signs) head to Castle Kennedy...only 68 mile round trip.

Thanks very much for that info bud👌🏻

1 hour ago, Bridie Vision said:

A few "supporters" have been banned and criminal charges raised against at least one individual following the fracas after Spartans and Peterhead matches.

https://www.forfarathletic.co.uk/item/5816-club-statement-28

Fair play to the club for the measures put in place.

I'm sure the Clyde supporters will appreciate this at the next fixture,  given what happened with the golf club wielding thugs at Stranraer!

23 minutes ago, macclyde+ said:

I'm sure the Clyde supporters will appreciate this at the next fixture,  given what happened with the golf club wielding thugs at Stranraer!

Thought you lot were up for a fight seen as the last time you were at Station Park your lads  were throwing punches at the stewards?🤣🤣

Joking aside, I agree. There is no place for that nonsense in football. Hope nobody was hurt in Stranraer! 

1 hour ago, macclyde+ said:

Clyde or Stranraer fans wielding clubs?

I feel our next 3 fixtures are going to determine if we are in a relegation dogfight for the remainder of the season, or if we can rest easy.

Home v Clyde

Home v Stenny

Away v Elgin.

Going on recent form,  I'm hoping we can pick up 4 points from them 3 games, but pick up zero and we will be in big trouble.

Anyone there on Saturday? How was it? Sound like so many other games I've seen this season.