Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

1 hour ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Imagine the stick Aitken would be getting if that was him every week…

look at what he’s went on to achieve..  the amount of stick Aitken got was absolutely mental. 

Aitken has played his entire career to date in leagues 1 & 2. Skelly has spent the previous few seasons in the juniors. Hardly a fair comparison. Also Matty has essentially done a carbon copy of our 21-22 season. Scored a bunch until the new year. He has 2 goals in 4 months now.

the original point is that the blame should solely fall at the managers feet. 

Skelly by all accounts was the 4th choice striker on the shopping list. 

Skelly may not be a prolific striker for leagues 1 & 2, however, I bet if he was in the Stenny squad he'd likely get 10+ goals.

Likewise, if we still had Aitken he'd probably be on 5 or 6 for us. Yes, quality is important but also a lesser player will always do better in a strong cohesive team.

What we can all agree is that Forfar this year have no attacking impetus and are happy to slug out a miserable 0-0 week in week out.

1 minute ago, Bridie Vision said:

Skelly may not be a prolific striker for leagues 1 & 2, however, I bet if he was in the Stenny squad he'd likely get 10+ goals.

Likewise, if we still had Aitken he'd probably be on 5 or 6 for us. Yes, quality is important but also a lesser player will always do better in a strong cohesive team.

What we can all agree is that Forfar this year have no attacking impetus and are happy to slug out a miserable 0-0 week in week out.

I've seen teams that have been defensively based, but this year might be the first time I've seen one that has no interest in going forward at all from the dugout.

I've watched RMc chastise players for taking up attacking positions. 

How anyone at board level can watch that and think it's acceptable is bizarre.

Still, be even more fun in the summer when there are virtually no players left and no one decent wants to join because of the manager.

3 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Let’s be honest the teams just not good enough. That’s the bottom line, McKinnon tried to ‘ local lads ‘ approach & it’s backfired dramatically.

we have just three players signed up for next season in Marc McCallum, Matty Allan & Russell McLean. 
The only other players I would want us to keep would be

Adam Hutchinson(been very solid all season)

Mark Whatley(how Robson gets a game ahead of him every week is mystifying)

Craig Thomson(although recent performances haven’t been great, he’s clearly lacking confidence)

Stuart Morrison(arguably been our best player this season)

Andy Munro( keep him as back up, he has been pretty solid this season)

Daniel Scally (deserves a chance to gain full fitness and get a decent run in the side, if we can get a manager that’s willing to attack)

The rest can go. 

Would you not keep Nditi?

38 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

Would you not keep Nditi?

Nah, he’s far too erratic of a defender. Just my personal opinion. I think defensively he’s too much of a liability, he gets caught out of position far too much, going forward he’s a little bit better but i just don’t think he’s good enough. 

2 hours ago, May Rckinnon said:

Aitken has played his entire career to date in leagues 1 & 2. Skelly has spent the previous few seasons in the juniors. Hardly a fair comparison. Also Matty has essentially done a carbon copy of our 21-22 season. Scored a bunch until the new year. He has 2 goals in 4 months now.

the original point is that the blame should solely fall at the managers feet. 

Skelly by all accounts was the 4th choice striker on the shopping list. 

Let’s not forget Skelly hasn’t only been a junior player all his career…

im not saying that Aitken would be the answer either, just stating that the stick he got was mental. But I’d have him up front ahead of the options we do have in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, Bridie Vision said:

100% agree, this is my biggest gripe this year, we have absolutely nobody who will take the ball from defence and drive into attack, nobody!

How any "manager" can think you are going to be successful without a single player of that type in your starting 11 week after week really does beggar belief.

And ironically, in my opinion two of the players we have let go (Smokie & Patty) were the only 2 players in the squad capable of doing this, maybe Mykyta, but he seems to be getting the same treatment as Smokie & Patty now, obviously far too attacking and creative for Mckinnon.

Went into a wholesaler in Dundee on Monday with my Loons tammy on, guy behind the desk was a Lochee United fan and the first thing he said to me was that we must have some team if we can let Paterson & Moore go, they have both been outstanding since signing. I just sniggered and couldn't even manage an answer, some team indeed.

4 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Let’s be honest the teams just not good enough. That’s the bottom line, McKinnon tried to ‘ local lads ‘ approach & it’s backfired dramatically.

we have just three players signed up for next season in Marc McCallum, Matty Allan & Russell McLean. 
The only other players I would want us to keep would be

Adam Hutchinson(been very solid all season)

Mark Whatley(how Robson gets a game ahead of him every week is mystifying)

Craig Thomson(although recent performances haven’t been great, he’s clearly lacking confidence)

Stuart Morrison(arguably been our best player this season)

Andy Munro( keep him as back up, he has been pretty solid this season)

Daniel Scally (deserves a chance to gain full fitness and get a decent run in the side, if we can get a manager that’s willing to attack)

The rest can go. 

Would keep Marc and Matty, 'Rusty' can GTF.

Hutchison been very good and would like to see him stay, but i've been told he can't get away quick enough unfortunately.

Whatley and Robson both do the exact same for me, nothing creative. Would keep one of them maybe.

Thommo not done enough for me, would maybe keep him as a squad player/sub coming off the bench for impact.

Morrison, would definitley want to keep him but as a CH. Can't see him wanting to hang around tbh though.

Munro is another I would like to stay, but heard he is also wanting away.

Scally does nothing for me and wouldn't lose sleep over him leaving.

Totally agree everyone else can go, apart from Roberto for me.

2 hours ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

Let’s not forget Skelly hasn’t only been a junior player all his career… 

That's what makes the signing all the more mental.

He found his level after having his pop at the SPFL & DJ Ray MC decided to make him the main striker. 

It just seemed like a convenient & half arsed peice of recruitment. 

47 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

That's what makes the signing all the more mental.

He found his level after having his pop at the SPFL & DJ Ray MC decided to make him the main striker. 

It just seemed like a convenient & half arsed peice of recruitment. 

What makes it even more mental is some of our fans were absolutely creaming themselves over the signing.

1. McCallum - Already signed for next year, and definitley keep.

2. Nditi - Deserves another contract, but is likely on the move and will get a L1 side (someone like Montrose perhaps?)

3. Brindley - Uninspiring, not bothered if he leaves.

5. Matty Allan - Already signed for next year, that's good hopefully he'll be CB, rather than RB.

6. Morrison - Definitley would sign him up, hopefully he'll be CB, rather than CM.

7. Thommo - I like him but he's probably gone, let him focus on his fireman career. 

9. Skelly - back to the ferry for him to bang in 30 goals a season.

10. Whatley - keep either him or Robson, but not both. Does a job, but not an outstanding player.

11. Kinglis - has been a disappointment, maybe he'll go back to Brechin City.

12. Mykyta - loan so will go back, not really had much of a chance after a promising debut with 2 assists.

14. Seb Ross - I'd keep him, shown promise and has been about as creative as any player can be in this squad.

15. Hutchi - I'd keep him but as many have said, he's keen to get out of Station Park, and I don't blame him.

16. Robson - keep either him or Whatley, but not both. Does a job, but not an outstanding player.

18. Finlay Allan - loan player so he'll leave. The lad is very talented and will do well but going to Forfar was a mistake, he'll be loaned out to another club and I suspect will do well.

19. Munro - massively improved from the start of the season, but his time here is coming to an end and he'll leave us with a metaphorical handshake from me.

20. Mohammed - loan player so he'll go back. No strong opinion. 

21. Paris - backup GK so who cares if he stays or goes, he won't get ahead of Marc.

22. Scally - Had some okay games, he'll probably depart.

23. Rusty - Already signed, with his moaning attitude, I'll only be happy with him if he starts scoring regularly, rather than scores a brace one game, does nothing for the next five.

24. Lobban - loan player so will leave. Another pointless signing who did absolutely nothing but sit on the bench.

5 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

1. McCallum - Already signed for next year, and definitley keep.

2. Nditi - Deserves another contract, but is likely on the move and will get a L1 side (someone like Montrose perhaps?)

3. Brindley - Uninspiring, not bothered if he leaves.

5. Matty Allan - Already signed for next year, that's good hopefully he'll be CB, rather than RB.

6. Morrison - Definitley would sign him up, hopefully he'll be CB, rather than CM.

7. Thommo - I like him but he's probably gone, let him focus on his fireman career. 

9. Skelly - back to the ferry for him to bang in 30 goals a season.

10. Whatley - keep either him or Robson, but not both. Does a job, but not an outstanding player.

11. Kinglis - has been a disappointment, maybe he'll go back to Brechin City.

12. Mykyta - loan so will go back, not really had much of a chance after a promising debut with 2 assists.

14. Seb Ross - I'd keep him, shown promise and has been about as creative as any player can be in this squad.

15. Hutchi - I'd keep him but as many have said, he's keen to get out of Station Park, and I don't blame him.

16. Robson - keep either him or Whatley, but not both. Does a job, but not an outstanding player.

18. Finlay Allan - loan player so he'll leave. The lad is very talented and will do well but going to Forfar was a mistake, he'll be loaned out to another club and I suspect will do well.

19. Munro - massively improved from the start of the season, but his time here is coming to an end and he'll leave us with a metaphorical handshake from me.

20. Mohammed - loan player so he'll go back. No strong opinion. 

21. Paris - backup GK so who cares if he stays or goes, he won't get ahead of Marc.

22. Scally - Had some okay games, he'll probably depart.

23. Rusty - Already signed, with his moaning attitude, I'll only be happy with him if he starts scoring regularly, rather than scores a brace one game, does nothing for the next five.

24. Lobban - loan player so will leave. Another pointless signing who did absolutely nothing but sit on the bench.

Spot on 

5 hours ago, ForfarLoon84 said:

What makes it even more mental is some of our fans were absolutely creaming themselves over the signing.

They saw goals & thought that obviously meant he'd do it 2 levels above. 

2 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

They saw goals & thought that obviously meant he'd do it 2 levels above. 

All part of the long term vision for the future of the club.

Give it a couple of years and Skelly will be at a level where he can bang them in again.

I'll be honest here and say I was excited when McKinnon was brought in. I thought, wrongly, his experience, skill-set, and contacts would result in a strong re-build of the team. Well, clearly that hasn't worked and what's currently on show is something just short of disastrous. For me the final straw was the delusional post-match interview when he said some outrageous stuff, "there's nothing between us and the top of the league" ffs, which is nothing short of taking us all for idiots. I'm not sure what calibre of player could possibly be eyeing up Forfar as a good career move - especially if rumours about at least one player being keen to leave is true. That we're stuck with Ray McKinnon for next season is a huge worry. His standing within football circles will surely have taken a hit here. Unless turgid, boring, no invention is the norm, of course. But the likes of Stenhousemuir and their set up argues against that. What next? Clearly he's here until the end of the season. That gives the Directors some time to offer a) an apology to all the fans & sponsors for a dismal state of affairs of their making and b) a plan for the way ahead to offer survival from what might well be in the years ahead, a drop into the HL. Grim stuff all round.

1 hour ago, Dan Steele said:

I'll be honest here and say I was excited when McKinnon was brought in. I thought, wrongly, his experience, skill-set, and contacts would result in a strong re-build of the team. Well, clearly that hasn't worked and what's currently on show is something just short of disastrous. For me the final straw was the delusional post-match interview when he said some outrageous stuff, "there's nothing between us and the top of the league" ffs, which is nothing short of taking us all for idiots. I'm not sure what calibre of player could possibly be eyeing up Forfar as a good career move - especially if rumours about at least one player being keen to leave is true. That we're stuck with Ray McKinnon for next season is a huge worry. His standing within football circles will surely have taken a hit here. Unless turgid, boring, no invention is the norm, of course. But the likes of Stenhousemuir and their set up argues against that. What next? Clearly he's here until the end of the season. That gives the Directors some time to offer a) an apology to all the fans & sponsors for a dismal state of affairs of their making and b) a plan for the way ahead to offer survival from what might well be in the years ahead, a drop into the HL. Grim stuff all round.

Can’t really argue with any of the above, I would also add that although Irvine wasn’t great he at least appeared to try hard and care, the defeats seemed to hurt. Ray doesn’t give a flying fudge, or at least that’s the impression I get.

46 minutes ago, theSilverFox said:

Can’t really argue with any of the above, I would also add that although Irvine wasn’t great he at least appeared to try hard and care, the defeats seemed to hurt. Ray doesn’t give a flying fudge, or at least that’s the impression I get.

It's also telling that RMs best results came with GIs players.

4 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

Could not agree more on the Irvine front.

He was obviously keen & willing, just didn't have a clue how to turn it around when plan A failed & honestly I don't disagree with his decision to stick around until he was shown the door as opposed to some who wanted him to resign. it was his first management role. We scored some attractive goals & at times looked like a football team.

Irvine had everything to prove & it didn't work out.

McKinnon will feel he has nothing to prove & can go about giving nae fucks.

Board have created this mess. I understand irvines appointment was the cheap option that ultimately went south, but McKinnon on paper looked like a savvy piece of business but they'll never admit it's not working. I'd have so much more time & respect for those in control if for once they'd be willing to admit they got it wrong. At least this time they're saying nothing instead of the utter nonsense they were spewing in club statements when Irvine was nearing the end.

Watching an Irvine XI last season was painful, but forgivable.

Edited by May Rckinnon

2 hours ago, May Rckinnon said:

Could not agree more on the Irvine front.

He was obviously keen & willing, just didn't have a clue how to turn it around when plan A failed & honestly I don't disagree with his decision to stick around until he was shown the door as opposed to some who wanted him to resign. it was his first management role. We scored some attractive goals & at times looked like a football team.

Irvine had everything to prove & it didn't work out.

McKinnon will feel he has nothing to prove & can go about giving nae fucks.

Board have created this mess. I understand irvines appointment was the cheap option that ultimately went south, but McKinnon on paper looked like a savvy piece of business but they'll never admit it's not working. I'd have so much more time & respect for those in control if for once they'd be willing to admit they got it wrong. At least this time they're saying nothing instead of the utter nonsense they were spewing in club statements when Irvine was nearing the end.

Watching an Irvine XI last season was painful, but forgivable.

Don't mention the precious golf days...