Kieran Tierney

30 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Why believe your lying eyes when a manager with clear motivations to be economical with the truth tells you something 

What do you think is motivating Arteta to be economical with the truth? I couldn't think of anything obvious.

Sounds to me form that interview that Arteta expects more from Tierney if he wants to be in the side. The way he says he "hopes" he is disappointed makes me wonder if he believes he has had his head turned by speculation as well.

Tierney has often looked like a complete monster playing for us, I remember when he wasn't available for the Czech game thinking we were fucked. When he has played for Arsenal he looks scared in comparison.

I don't think Arteta is managing him all that well, one of those players who maybe needs a more pat on the bum Klopp style boss, but I also don't think Arteta is going to change his mind unless he gets over whatever mental block is in his way and actually starts playing like he can. I am a huge fan but he needs to stand up for himself against Arteta and any other boy coming.

Young lad, big city etc etc. Fine. No-one else is going to fix it for him though. Arteta isn't his dad. Get out there and play like a lion or move.

P.S. May have got a bit carried away over a very short video clip. If all the above is true it points to Tierney being a sensitive, reflective and probably thoroughly decent human being as well which are all to the good. Doesn't rule you out of being a title winner but doesn't make you one either.

Edited by The Algebraist

On 18/08/2023 at 12:27, 2426255 said:

What do you think is motivating Arteta to be economical with the truth? I couldn't think of anything obvious.

Agreed but tbh, it really does look like Arteta isn’t being honest. Just because we don’t know why he’s doing it, doesn’t mean he isn’t, it just means we don’t know his reasons for it. 

Tierney is clearly done at Arsenal, Arteta has made it pretty clear (in his actions) that he doesn’t like his style of play and that he doesn’t include him in the team (and now the squad!). There is no point pretending that putting him on in the 70th min (or whatever it was) has any value or somehow speaks volumes that he’ll play this season when he hardly played him preseason and he’s leaving him out the squad entirely now.

What I don’t get is why Arsenal couldn’t work out a deal with Newcastle. Having some money for him, either now or next year, must surely be better than devaluing him more by not even having him in the match day squad? If his value has fallen, It’s their own fault for bombing him out the team. Why do they prefer to have him sit around doing nothing?

48 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Agreed but tbh, it really does look like Arteta isn’t being honest. Just because we don’t know why he’s doing it, doesn’t mean he isn’t, it just means we don’t know his reasons for it. 

Arteta's comments make more sense to me if KT's pushing to move, but Arteta prefers to keep him as part of the squad. If Arteta wants KT gone then what is the advantage of holding that back? Misleading doesn't play well with a fanbase in the longer term especially if KT is sold shortly after it's suggested he is part of the plans.

Tierney played a higher number of minutes during pre-season compared to Arsenal players who have since been sold. This suggests to me he is/was considered part of the plans at that time. The story of him leaving Arsenal doubtless has truth to it but the mystery around it seems needless.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Arteta's comments make more sense to me if KT's pushing to move, but Arteta prefers to keep him as part of the squad. If Arteta wants KT gone then what is the advantage of holding that back? Misleading doesn't play well with a fanbase in the longer term especially if KT is sold shortly after it's suggested he is part of the plans.

I am not sure, but why put a player on the bench all season, make it clear he’s not wanted (by literally playing anyone else that could vaguely play LB) and then think he’s not going to leave? Why would you then want that player to stay? He might be in the squad, but he’ll not play him unless it’s 10mins at the end of a game or everyone else is injured.

Arteta's handling of all this seems terrible. I hope him being left out tonight is indicative of him having a new club lined up. 

You'll never convince me that Tomiyasu is a better option at left back than Tierney. Whether it's inverting, overlapping, playing as a lcb in the build up, Tierney is just better all round.

Arsenal have been pretty miserable to watch this season so far, I hope they implode tbh

13 hours ago, eez-eh said:

The percentage of match day squads featured in (%MDSFI) set to receive a timely boost.

You joke, but you know that now the stats virgins will pounce on that as a valued metric to judge a player. 

20 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

You'll never convince me that Tomiyasu is a better option at left back than Tierney. Whether it's inverting, overlapping, playing as a lcb in the build up, Tierney is just better all round.

Arsenal have been pretty miserable to watch this season so far, I hope they implode tbh

At least with Zinchenko you can look at it and see that he is ridiculous on the ball, even if he is terrible defensively. 

Tomiyasu is bad enough, but then Kiwior getting on the bench in front of him is utterly wild. 

Edited by No_Problemo

7 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

At least with Zinchenko you can look at it and see that he is ridiculous on the ball, even if he is terrible defensively. 

Tomiyasu is bad enough, but then Kiwior getting on the bench in front of him is utterly wild. 

To be fair, Kiwior is a natural CB