Kieran Tierney

Absolutely gutted with this. Tierney is arguably our most effective all-round defender and the back-line just isn't the same without him.

Although still not clear what the full extent of his injury is, that Arsenal website claims he had "discomfort" which surely can't mean a ligament rupture/tear? It's absolute agony. The Premier League finishes on the 22nd May so if his season is definitely over for Arsenal, just get him focussed on recovering in time for the WC play offs in June. Fingers crossed. 

41 minutes ago, monthefife said:

Absolutely gutted with this. Tierney is arguably our most effective all-round defender and the back-line just isn't the same without him.

Although still not clear what the full extent of his injury is, that Arsenal website claims he had "discomfort" which surely can't mean a ligament rupture/tear? It's absolute agony. The Premier League finishes on the 22nd May so if his season is definitely over for Arsenal, just get him focussed on recovering in time for the WC play offs in June. Fingers crossed. 

Knee surgery can be anything from two weeks of limited mobility to 6 months of no walking.  You'd imagine that if it was discovered in training, it's more likely to be in the region of the former.

In addition, "not playing again this season" when there's six weeks left isn't much of a statement.  We can remain hopeful, even if that's ends up being in vain.

Knee surgery can be anything from two weeks of limited mobility to 6 months of no walking.  You'd imagine that if it was discovered in training, it's more likely to be in the region of the former.
In addition, "not playing again this season" when there's six weeks left isn't much of a statement.  We can remain hopeful, even if that's ends up being in vain.
Yeah the "out for the season" line is - while accurate - a bit sensational given there's just over a month of it left.

Surely he has to play for Arsenal before the end of the season or he won't be playing for Scotland? I'd expect Arsenal would want him to have a good rest over the summer and rushing him back for Scotland is not in their plans.

2 hours ago, ahemps said:

Surely he has to play for Arsenal before the end of the season or he won't be playing for Scotland? I'd expect Arsenal would want him to have a good rest over the summer and rushing him back for Scotland is not in their plans.

Steve Clarke will not be interested in Arsenal's plans, and neither will Kieran Tierney. If he's fit enough to play then he will play.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Steve Clarke will not be interested in Arsenal's plans, and neither will Kieran Tierney. If he's fit enough to play then he will play.

You think there is a possibility Tierney's next game of football will be for Scotland?

So if Arsenals medical team think he needs a certain amount of time off after his surgery for his recovery and he isn't back playing for them it doesn't matter because Steve Clark can overrule them?

I'm pretty sure Tierney is still interested in Arsenals plans. He's a very committed player (to both club and country) and has been their captain at times this year, he will very much be interested in how they plan to get him back to full fitness.

8 minutes ago, ahemps said:

You think there is a possibility Tierney's next game of football will be for Scotland?

So if Arsenals medical team think he needs a certain amount of time off after his surgery for his recovery and he isn't back playing for them it doesn't matter because Steve Clark can overrule them?

I'm pretty sure Tierney is still interested in Arsenals plans. He's a very committed player (to both club and country) and has been their captain at times this year, he will very much be interested in how they plan to get him back to full fitness.

Steve Clarkes medical team can overrule them yes

Will they, extremely doubtful 

Yes. Scotland's games are 2/3 weeks after Arsenal play their last fixture, that's a lot of extra time to recover. This is not the time for diplomacy, it's a World Cup on the line and if our medical team think he's able to play then he will. I very much doubt he's going to be happy sitting in the stand and missing a shot at what could be his only World Cup because some doctors at Arsenal think resting up to be ready for their opening league fixture against Brighton in August is more important.

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Yes. Scotland's games are 2/3 weeks after Arsenal play their last fixture, that's a lot of extra time to recover. This is not the time for diplomacy, it's a World Cup on the line and if our medical team think he's able to play then he will. I very much doubt he's going to be happy sitting in the stand and missing a shot at what could be his only World Cup because some doctors at Arsenal think resting up to be ready for their opening league fixture against Brighton in August is more important.

To Arsenal their games are more important and they wont rush back a player who has a fairly poor injury record to benefit the Scotland team especially when the end of season offers a great opportunity for an extended recovery period.

I hope he plays and I hope there is no conflict with Arsenal but to think Tierney will totally dismiss what the Arsenal medical team want in his recovery is simply not reality.

I don't think Tierney will play for Scotland if he doesn't appear for Arsenal 1st, you do. Happy to disagree with you on this.

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

To Arsenal their games are more important and they wont rush back a player who has a fairly poor injury record to benefit the Scotland team especially when the end of season offers a great opportunity for an extended recovery period.

I hope he plays and I hope there is no conflict with Arsenal but to think Tierney will totally dismiss what the Arsenal medical team want in his recovery is simply not reality.

I don't think Tierney will play for Scotland if he doesn't appear for Arsenal 1st, you do. Happy to disagree with you on this.

The 2-3 weeks means the two don't need to be linked.  Players, after all, often don't play for their country on a Tuesday/Wednesday, but available for the club on a weekend.  This is just that situation reversed, albeit with up to 21 days' gap, and not 3.

Arsenal could perfectly well choose 'not to risk' a dead rubber in the final week, and he be perfectly fit to play.

Equally, he could be unavailable for Arsenal or Scotland until September.  Everything else is conjecture.

But it is perfectly plausible to play for us having not played for Arsenal.

3 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The 2-3 weeks means the two don't need to be linked.  Players, after all, often don't play for their country on a Tuesday/Wednesday, but available for the club on a weekend.  This is just that situation reversed, albeit with up to 21 days' gap, and not 3.

Arsenal could perfectly well choose 'not to risk' a dead rubber in the final week, and he be perfectly fit to play.

Equally, he could be unavailable for Arsenal or Scotland until September.  Everything else is conjecture.

But it is perfectly plausible to play for us having not played for Arsenal.

Get this measured and reasonable pish in the bin.

• 6 months later...
16 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Getting a bit concerning with his lack of starts now. On the bench again today not even for Zinchenko whos not even fit for the squad 😬

Wasn't long ago he was being linked with Man City as well.

It’s a bit weird that he did not play but I did wonder if they are trying to avoid him playing back to back matches since he played almost all of the game on Thursday night?

I remember Clarke saying he was hoping to rest him for at least one of the games in that triple header we had a few weeks back. Maybe just being cautious, especially with Zinchenko out.