Kieran Tierney

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I’m watching the game now. I think his passing has improved. It’s quite funny to see him come infield and play decent passes, the stuff he got dropped for apparently not being capable of at Arsenal. 

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Such a good efficient passer. Just a quality player, doesn't make many mistakes. Brilliant defender too.

I don't think either of you actually watched much of the game by the sounds of things.

Not to be hypercritical but he's not had his best game, kicked the ball out of touch a number of times, was on his heels and got skinned by their RW in the box which gave a good chance away, he was playing fairly deep a lot of the game but when he did get in a good crossing area the cross was poor, took an awful touch in the opposing box when a ball came in from the other side and fluffed up a big chance.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

I don't think either of you actually watched much of the game by the sounds of things.

Not to be hypercritical but he's not had his best game, kicked the ball out of touch a number of times, was on his heels and got skinned by their RW in the box which gave a good chance away, he was playing fairly deep a lot of the game but when he did get in a good crossing area the cross was poor, took an awful touch in the opposing box when a ball came in from the other side and fluffed up a big chance.

You're right, I didn't watch any of the Valencia game. I was speaking about KT in general and my comments weren't based around his performance against Valencia. They were based around previous games he's played for Real Sociedad up to the game against Barcelona last week and his performances for Scotland.

I agree with you in the sense that he plays quite a defensive role for Sociedad. They don't really get the benefit Scotland do in terms of his strengths going forward in terms of carrying the ball.  

Edited by 2426255

20 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Yeah I did watch the game. He made a few errors but I think you are overdoing a bit here. He did a lot of decent stuff as well, including the run upfield before the goal.

• 3 weeks later...

Knowing Tierneys record, can he play 3 * 90 minute games in 9 days?

Does he need managed through these games?

I would hope he could and depending on how it goes he is then off for a rest in the summer but I would worry if we are on 1pt going in to the Hungary game and Tierney is out injured.

According to flashscore he hasn't played back to back 90 minutes since December, hasn't played 90 minutes since March.

9 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Knowing Tierneys record, can he play 3 * 90 minute games in 9 days?

Does he need managed through these games?

I would hope he could and depending on how it goes he is then off for a rest in the summer but I would worry if we are on 1pt going in to the Hungary game and Tierney is out injured.

According to flashscore he hasn't played back to back 90 minutes since December, hasn't played 90 minutes since March.

From the 5 qualifiers that he was fit for he only played the 90 in 2 of them - both against Cyprus, which if you want to read into it you could point to the lower intensity of those games.

At home to Spain he played 75 mins.

Away to Norway 65 mins.

Home to Georgia 78 mins.

I’d say there’s no chance he plays the 90 in all 3. And I’ll be surprised if he plays more than about 60 mins tonight.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

From the 5 qualifiers that he was fit for he only played the 90 in 2 of them - both against Cyprus, which if you want to read into it you could point to the lower intensity of those games.

At home to Spain he played 75 mins.

Away to Norway 65 mins.

Home to Georgia 78 mins.

I’d say there’s no chance he plays the 90 in all 3. And I’ll be surprised if he plays more than about 60 mins tonight.

Personally I'd have Tierney sit in the stand the whole game tonight. I don't think we need to see him against Finland. He's important to how we play, he doesn't need minutes in his legs per se. McKenna (or if he's fit Cooper) can easily play the left sided centre back role.

I'd also sit Robertson, McGinn and Adams in the stand too to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Personally I'd have Tierney sit in the stand the whole game tonight. I don't think we need to see him against Finland. He's important to how we play, he doesn't need minutes in his legs per se. McKenna (or if he's fit Cooper) can easily play the left sided centre back role.

I didn't understand McGinn playing the full 90 last week. He has played a lot of games this season and will likely play every minute of the tournament.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2024 at 11:40, Skyline Drifter said:

It is impossible to tell if the injury would have happened anyway but Tierney can't play a lot of football now. It is sad for him but its pretty clear going by his record he can't do it. Why he played the full 90 in both friendly's was bizarre. He should have played 60 minutes v Finland and managed his time so he could play a role in every game in the group stage.

I agree with the others too, McGinn, Adams and Robertson have not been at their best. Robertson has been fine but that is all, Adams put in a shift last night but McGinn doesn't look his usual self.

I would ask, did we really prepare properly for the tournament in getting every one coming in refreshed and ready? The evidence so far suggests not.

18 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

I was well pissed off with the camera last night. No-one needed to see close ups of the lad in tears being stretchered off.

100% this, couldn't believe it and know if it was me lying there, I wouldn't want the world seeing it

19 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

I was well pissed off with the camera last night. No-one needed to see close ups of the lad in tears being stretchered off. Glad to hear he walked down the tunnel.

The actual incident didn't look like much to me, one that would hurt a lot but not necessarily cause a tear.

46 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

100% this, couldn't believe it and know if it was me lying there, I wouldn't want the world seeing it

Reading these two posts you'd think he'd died :lol:

Are we really in a society where we need to censor people crying at their football tournaments being over? Because I'm quite looking forward to the scores of wee English boys crying their eyes out in a week or so. 

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Reading these two posts you'd think he'd died :lol:

Are we really in a society where we need to censor people crying at their football tournaments being over? Because I'm quite looking forward to the scores of wee English boys crying their eyes out in a week or so. 

My comments wasn't really about society or censorship tbh. I just didn't think it was necessary, we don't normally do weird zoom ins on injured players.