Dundee United 2018/2019

2 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

Ganja St Skemie

He plays across the road. Just avoided a jail sentence for spitting on someone...

2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Despite him clearly being a competent enough striker at his previous clubs I have been totally underwhelmed in any game he has played for us (that is only 4 or 5 I suppose).

I'm the same. I just worry if he signs for another Championship club that he comes back to haunt us.

Hopefully he is through the other side of his mental health issues no matter what happens.

1 hour ago, GrantB878 said:

We brought sturrock back to the club because of his knowledge of the English lower leagues, if we are not signing from there then why have we invested in this new ”scouting network”? The inverted commas is because there is none - certainly none in the 12 we have signed.

The point being we have invested in a scouting network with no clear strategy or signing policy.

Sturrock is chief scout, not English lower league scout. If the better players who are available aren't in the English lower leagues, where some non-league teams are paying £4k p/w, then should we forego those other options just to satisfy a perception that there's value down there? Maybe there isn't any value down there to be had. 

Your point was clear. I'm simply pointing out that it's based on a false premise.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The last tweet was a "match preview" with James Keatings. Would they/he do that if he was leaving?

What do people think of Keatings? Seen a lot of fans of other clubs saying they'd be happy if they signed him.

Based on his performances for us, he's absolutely garbage. He's clearly highly regarded elsewhere though so maybe last season was a blip. My concern is not just that he's been incredibly ineffective but that he didn't look like he was trying a leg. I'd be happy for him to go. Fair enough if he stays but I'd be worried if we were expecting to rely on him at any point.

Sturrock is chief scout, not English lower league scout. If the better players who are available aren't in the English lower leagues, where some non-league teams are paying £4k p/w, then should we forego those other options just to satisfy a perception that there's value down there? Maybe there isn't any value down there to be had. 
Your point was clear. I'm simply pointing out that it's based on a false premise.

The basis of the argument is he was brought back to the club to identify players within his skill set (as chief scout of england), There is no false premise:

"I am delighted to be back working for my club," he told United's website.

"I look forward to working hard and using my knowledge of the English game to bring talent to the club."

Of 12 signings there has been no one that fits that nature.

Guest DAVIDB69

Even if we get something for a short time out of these signings great, but I fear the vast majority will be utter shite

I haven’t seen enough of Keatings to judge him; again I reckon it’s hard judge him based upon how he’s being played and the formation. 

Playing in a two beside a target man may see the best of him.

I've always struggled to find anything I like about Dundee but tonight I had a kebab from eastern spice in lochee and it was brilliant.

Lochee's a bit of a shithole right enough  and i can't decide whether to nip across and have a couple of jars in the Albert bar or not, looks a proper pub.  

9 minutes ago, Gbud84 said:

I've always struggled to find anything I like about Dundee but tonight I had a kebab from eastern spice in lochee and it was brilliant.

Lochee's a bit of a shithole right enough  and i can't decide whether to nip across and have a couple of jars in the Albert bar or not, looks a proper pub.  

Why are you in Lochee?

Eastern Spice kebabs are excellent. Quite agree. Very good prices too.

The Albert is the only pub I'd go in on Lochee High Street. It is what it is. A friendly, proper pub.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

16 minutes ago, GrantB878 said:

The basis of the argument is he was brought back to the club to identify players within his skill set (as chief scout of england), There is no false premise:

"I am delighted to be back working for my club," he told United's website.

"I look forward to working hard and using my knowledge of the English game to bring talent to the club."

Of 12 signings there has been no one that fits that nature.

Your premise is that United should be signing players from the English lower leagues in preference to anywhere else. It presumes that there are players of sufficient quality available at an affordable price who are better than the guys we've signed already in Sturrock's first transfer window. It's narrow minded nonsense and simply another stick with which to beat the current regime. There are plenty of sticks available without dreaming up more.

How about we give the guys who have been signed the chance to demonstrate whether or not they're worthwhile before we start greeting that the scouting system isn't working. 

Incidentally, those comments were made when Sturrock joined the club in a different role. We signed Mohsni on the basis of Sturrock's relationship with him. It's simply not true that we haven't signed players based on Sturrock's knowledge of the English game but it's myopic in the extreme to suggest that we should only sign players based on Sturrock's knowledge of the English game.

19 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Why are you in Lochee?

Eastern Spice kebabs are excellent. Quite agree. Very good prices too.

The Albert is the only pub I'd go in on Lochee High Street. It is what it is. A friendly, proper pub.

I'm working up here and staying in a flat across from the Albert for the week.  Probably have a few jars  tomorrow night in there. 

The kebab was class. 

8 minutes ago, Gbud84 said:

I'm working up here and staying in a flat across from the Albert for the week.  Probably have a few jars  tomorrow night in there. 

The kebab was class. 

They are the best kebabs in Dundee. Their chicken pakora is good too. Avoid their pizzas.

Not that I ever eat that kind of stuff of course.

15 minutes ago, Gbud84 said:

The kebab was class. 

^^^^  Drug dealer.

On 24/07/2018 at 18:56, CaspianChris said:

I can not remember the issue that arose of memory, I have a feeling it might have been to do with a lack of all seater stadium with 6,000 capacity minimum but I might be wrong.  Was Falkirk still playing at Brockville back then?

We were, but pretty much had all the kinks worked out, but would need to groundshare for a season while new ground was being built. We had a deal with Airdrie sorted, but we're told to f**k off by the SPL so we shared with Stenny for a season. 

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Arbroath beating Ross County 2-1 just now.

Maybe we have underestimated the Lichties and a point wasn't that bad.

Christ, Csaba’s hacked Szamo’s account!