Dundee United 2018/2019

4 minutes ago, Twinkle said:
46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
I don’t get the tactics.  Once again last night Safranko was isolated and starved of service.  How the f**k can Neilson not see this?
I think we have a decent squad now, they are just not being deployed properly.

Up against a team who were low in confidence and had been turned over by a fuckin junior team, we shouldve been swarming all over them in the first 10 mins. Press them high and let them make mistakes especially in those conditions. Instead, we sat in and let them play out from the back under almost zero pressure on the ball. Why we keep playing long high balls to a lone striker is a mystery especially as the 3 players in behind him were about 30 yards deeper. Another thing, it was blowing a hurricane last night and we have a centre half who can launch throw ins into the opponents 6 yard box. How many times did we utilise this, once maybe? I dont care if you are fuckin Barcelona or Real Madrid, there isnt a team on the planet that enjoys defending relentess balls into the box

That might be a hurricane in Dundee but it was just a bit windy for us, not nearly as bad as the County game, I thought you were poor at utilising the wind in the 2nd half having looked like you were waiting for the advantage all through the 1st.

1 minute ago, Aladdin said:

What's the script with aird? Even less creativity than usual without him.

The only thing I can think of (and it’s purely a guess) is Neilson is fed up with his lack of work rate.

He is lazy as hell, simply won’t track back, seems unwilling to go into a challenge.  All such a pity as he definitely offers something going forward.

14 minutes ago, Twinkle said:
56 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
I don’t get the tactics.  Once again last night Safranko was isolated and starved of service.  How the f**k can Neilson not see this?
I think we have a decent squad now, they are just not being deployed properly.

Up against a team who were low in confidence and had been turned over by a fuckin junior team, we shouldve been swarming all over them in the first 10 mins. Press them high and let them make mistakes especially in those conditions. Instead, we sat in and let them play out from the back under almost zero pressure on the ball. Why we keep playing long high balls to a lone striker is a mystery especially as the 3 players in behind him were about 30 yards deeper. Another thing, it was blowing a hurricane last night and we have a centre half who can launch throw ins into the opponents 6 yard box. How many times did we utilise this, once maybe? I dont care if you are fuckin Barcelona or Real Madrid, there isnt a team on the planet that enjoys defending relentess balls into the box

Since you took the shithouse approach and swapped ends you would think there must have been a plan to deal with it for 45 minutes then go for it.  

Dundee United still being absolutely shite wind or no wind obviously didn't factor into this masterplan.  

I’m sorry but I think people are being far too reactionary. He inherited a complete and utter shambles and up until last night had the best points return in the league from the point he came in (he may still do).
There’s been a massive overhaul on and off the pitch and if it’s going to work it’s going to take time.
There’s been poor performances and mistakes but every club in this league is struggling for consistency, we all know about Ayr’s recent issues and when I saw county against Morton the other week they were mince.
Last night was 1-0 loss away from home in horrendous conditions, we are still within touching distance.

I thought it was a bit off last night to have that fat bald lad on BT talking about qualifying for Europe through the league and winning cups when the current situation has you getting cuffed by Ayr and hero worshipping dross like Nicky Clark and Fraser Aird. Fair enough if you want to have longer term ambitions but maybe keep those in-house and focus on the job at hand publicly first and foremost. 

Gomis was rancid last night and if that's the level of signing you're bringing in then it'll be trips to Arbroath next year. 

1 minute ago, dregs 83 said:

I’m sorry but I think people are being far too reactionary. He inherited a complete and utter shambles and up until last night had the best points return in the league from the point he came in (he may still do).
There’s been a massive overhaul on and off the pitch and if it’s going to work it’s going to take time.
There’s been poor performances and mistakes but every club in this league is struggling for consistency, we all know about Ayr’s recent issues and when I saw county against Morton the other week they were mince.
Last night was 1-0 loss away from home in horrendous conditions, we are still within touching distance.

Honestly, you're only winning this league if neither County or ourselves pull our socks up, I think one or both will get their shit together.

Thinking negatively I was thinking how the f**k DUFC were level with us, on the positive side, we've been pretty humdrum(apart from an odd half or 2 here and there) for about 10 games and we're still level with the supposed big boys.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

I thought it was a bit off last night to have that fat bald lad on BT talking about qualifying for Europe through the league and winning cups when the current situation has you getting cuffed by Ayr and hero worshipping dross like Nicky Clark and Fraser Aird. Fair enough if you want to have longer term ambitions but maybe keep those in-house and focus on the job at hand publicly first and foremost. 

Gomis was rancid last night and if that's the level of signing you're bringing in then it'll be trips to Arbroath next year. 

Never saw the coverage, sadly at the game. Was the fat bald lad Ashgar?

Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

Never saw the coverage, sadly at the game. Was the fat bald lad Ashgar?

Unsure, there was a couple of them who were interviewed in a pre match feature at Tannadice. 

I wasn't particularly impressed with the owner either tbh. 

6 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

It doesn’t take time to change tactics in a game when you realise the tactics are wrong.  However if you don’t realise this then there’s something wrong.

Honestly, you're only winning this league if neither County or ourselves pull our socks up, I think one or both will get their shit together.
Thinking negatively I was thinking how the f**k DUFC were level with us, on the positive side, we've been pretty humdrum(apart from an odd half or 2 here and there) for about 10 games and we're still level with the supposed big boys.

The same could be said for us, when we were on our winning run we played some great football and turned over teams.
Overall since Neilson came in we’ve made up ground on both you and county to the point where we are still only 3 points behind and that’s despite having to endure a start of the season under I believe the worst manager in our recent history.
To say Neilson isn’t the right manager or write off signings as shite after one game is daft and overly rash is what I’m saying.
There were ayr fans saying McCall should go and that we’d beat you with a cricket score lest we forget.

1 minute ago, dregs 83 said:

The same could be said for us, when we were on our winning run we played some great football and turned over teams.
Overall since Neilson came in we’ve made up ground on both you and county to the point where we are still only 3 points behind and that’s despite having to endure a start of the season under I believe the worst manager in our recent history.
To say Neilson isn’t the right manager or write off signings as shite after one game is daft and overly rash is what I’m saying.
There were ayr fans saying McCall should go and that we’d beat you with a cricket score lest we forget.

Yes but they were obviously forgetting how far in front we were in both previous meetings, your team now is only a bit better than it was, it will be far harder for your lot at their best to win 6 or 7 on the bounce than it will for County or ourselves at our best.

Just my opinion, last season we were 10 or 15 points better than Raith and struggled to convert that onto the league table, this season I think County and ourselves are 8 to 10 points better than Dundee United, we'll see how that transpires over the remainder of the season, FTR I'm not treating last night as a return to form for ourselves, it will take 3 or 4 more performances to do that.

I don’t think any Ayr fans suggested McCall should be sacked.

The only thing I can really say is there was no signs of improvement from Dundee Utd last night compared to the 5-0 game.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think any Ayr fans suggested McCall should be sacked.

The only thing I can really say is there was no signs of improvement from Dundee Utd last night compared to the 5-0 game.

I thought they were more competitive.

I thought they were more competitive.

In terms of creating chances or defending they didn’t look any better. That number 19 that plays for them has been hopeless every time I’ve seen him play. How he continues to get a game is beyond me.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

In terms of creating chances or defending they didn’t look any better. That number 19 that plays for them has been hopeless every time I’ve seen him play. How he continues to get a game is beyond me.

I'm not saying they're good but they're the worst side I've watched in the other 2 encounters.

I maybe get shot down for this after what I said last night. But in the cold light of day United weren't objectively worse than Ayr. 

What Ayr done well last night was having a better psychology than United. More desire, more fight and more heart. 

United weren't especially woeful just seemed bereft of all the above and lacking in the edge that would have seen them compete. To me Bouhenna and Frans especially looked shell shocked and a bit unsure of what they were doing. Fyvie and Gomis were just not quite cutting it last night and I actually don't think Stanton looked comfortable at all in what's meant to be his better position. 

The spine of the team was a yard off of everything last night and that lacking bled through the rest of the team. 

IMO there's needs to be a lot more fight and heart in the team for it to go any where. What some of the players may lack in quality could at least be made up for if they pressed harder and looked like they wanted to win. 4 seasons and multiple different players but still remains a soft mentality at United. 

7 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I maybe get shot down for this after what I said last night. But in the cold light of day United weren't objectively worse than Ayr. 

What Ayr done well last night was having a better psychology than United. More desire, more fight and more heart. 

United weren't especially woeful just seemed bereft of all the above and lacking in the edge that would have seen them compete. To me Bouhenna and Frans especially looked shell shocked and a bit unsure of what they were doing. Fyvie and Gomis were just not quite cutting it last night and I actually don't think Stanton looked comfortable at all in what's meant to be his better position. 

The spine of the team was a yard off of everything last night and that lacking bled through the rest of the team. 

IMO there's needs to be a lot more fight and heart in the team for it to go any where. What some of the players may lack in quality could at least be made up for if they pressed harder and looked like they wanted to win. 4 seasons and multiple different players but still remains a soft mentality at United. 

My opinion on last night was your lot looking to get to half time no worse than a goal down, then you'd come out and show us what you're made of with the breeze at your back, a reasonable plan given our County match, fortunately we came out the blocks and created chances against the breeze immediately and that dented your confidence and you never really recovered it.

28 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

My opinion on last night was your lot looking to get to half time no worse than a goal down, then you'd come out and show us what you're made of with the breeze at your back, a reasonable plan given our County match, fortunately we came out the blocks and created chances against the breeze immediately and that dented your confidence and you never really recovered it.

That's what I'm talking about though, there's no firm mentality in the squad. Accepting defeat at one nil down with an advantage like we could have had in the second half is just mind blowing. 

Should have pressed from the start. 

United teams of the last 4 seasons just don't seem to press the ball very well and if they do try to do it they just end up like headless chickens