Dundee United 2018/2019

Pretty staggered by the number of central midfielders we have taken on. Tbh it suggests fyvie or Stanton’s cards might be marked. Totally agree with PMS about Aird, surely he is a better option than McMullan, even off the bench to ping balls in from corners or free kicks to Pav when we are chasing the game. He also seemed to be a confident penalty taker as well. I’d be pretty disappointed if we didn’t get another centre half and out and out goal scorer in given the midfield situation.

Like others I am disappointed about Aird, there must be a high percentage of our goals this season that have come from his balls in.

I can only assume that there are issues, whether it’s his obvious laziness or something else, that has caused Neilson to put him out on loan.

There’s been a greater turnover than I had expected with the possibility of one or two to come.  Despite that we are still short of a dominant centre half and a back up for Safranko.

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I still get a shiver thinking of the studs-up tackle on Butcher's debut.  Genuinely astonished it wasn't a red card.

In the opening game of the season at Firhill in 13/14? If so then you're not alone. I remember that too, bloody dreadful tackle. I'm pretty sure he made another tackle easily worth of a red card shortly after it as well. It was in our own box towards the end of the game but luckily for us the referee bizarrely let it go. 

Also, if memory serves correctly it was his part in the stramash during the first cup game against Celtic in 14/15 that Paton was amusingly sent off for by mistake.

That said, while he was a bit of a bomb scare in defence, I quite liked Butcher once he was moved into midfield. He brought a good fighting spirit, a bit of dig to the team and wasn't too bad on the ball either. We badly needed him or a player of his ilk in midfield the following year when we got relegated.

As for King, can't say I'm sorry to see him go. He's definitely got some talent, but he uses it so sporadically and just can't be relied on to perform consistently. Better just cutting our losses with him now.

On the other hand, Aird might have been worth holding onto given the sheer number of assists he's racked up in half a season alone. Although Neilson's clearly never fully trusted him. Even in Neilson's first games in charge Aird was frequently subbed off in the middle of a match.

Edited by captainkev

7 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

How many have left this month then? So far I make it nine - Allardice, King, Edjenguele, Aird, Toshney, Appere, Rakovan, Thomas, Glass. Another four still to go perhaps - Barton, Loemba, Wardrop, Scobbie. Anyone I've missed? That's a decent clearout.

We've managed to shift Curran off that 3 year contract Lazslo handed out and punted him across the road too. 

I'd guess Rabitsch has probably been told to find a new club as well given the number of midfielders we have now.

17 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

How many have left this month then? So far I make it nine - Allardice, King, Edjenguele, Aird, Toshney, Appere, Rakovan, Thomas, Glass. Another four still to go perhaps - Barton, Loemba, Wardrop, Scobbie. Anyone I've missed? That's a decent clearout.

Problem is only 4 of those could be classed as first team players. The other 5 will be on buttons. We still need to shift a shitload of high earning wasters out!

Edited by Ralphies_Chip

10 minutes ago, captainkev said:

We've managed to shift Curran off that 3 year contract Lazslo handed out and punted him across the road too. 

I'd guess Rabitsch has probably been told to find a new club as well given the number of midfielders we have now.

Yes Curran. Oooft. How could I forget. And Rubbish! Yeah, he's surely on his way somewhere bleak (er).

A good clearout as long as we arent replacing it with similar dross

46 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Has Aird left? 

19 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

How many of them are out of contract in the summer though? 

Is there not a few with another year left on their deals... 

Aird's got another year and some of the young laddies are away getting match experience rather than being punted, I think.