41 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Has anyone seen some of the comments in relation to Forbes' signing on Facebook?

Colin Gray "One of the laziest midfielders I've seen in my opinion"

Katrina Watson "Never sure if returning is a good idea"

Honestly, we could sign Stephen 'Too Old' Dobbie and Lionel 'Too Small' Messi and some people would still not be happy.

Katrina always says that when a player comes back. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Smokie_Bacon_crisps said:

Has anyone ever seen this before?

The Crowd looks way more than 44,000.

I wonder if there are any Lichties still around who were at this game?

Scottish Cup 1st Round 24.1.1953

4-0

Attendance 44,000

Rangers Goalscorers, Hubbard, Prentice, McCulloch, W Simpson.

Rangers v Arbroath

Over in The Arbroath Thread, someone posted this which might be of some minor passing interest to Sons fans. At approximately  2' 16" in, you can see some nice skill from our all-time record goalscorer Hughie Gallacher wearing the number nine shirt. Only other footage I've ever seen of him is in the 1957 Scottish Cup QF which you can find in the British Movietone archive.

If he's a right back that may well be a shout.

Any good?

I think he came to us as a right back but only ever played there a couple of times. In this league he had far too much technical ability to be wasted at right back, and in reality looked far more accomplished in the middle of the park.

He was quite inconsistent - one week he was MOM and looked out of place in League One - the next he would shank balls out the park left, right and centre.

In my opinion, he was a contender for POTY for us last season and would be a decent option for anyone at the top end of this league and even the bottom half of the Championship.

The last I heard he was holding out to see if there was any full time offers on the table for him. I certainly think they’d be an offer from Airdrie if he was willing to go part time.

I think he came to us as a right back but only ever played there a couple of times. In this league he had far too much technical ability to be wasted at right back, and in reality looked far more accomplished in the middle of the park.

He was quite inconsistent - one week he was MOM and looked out of place in League One - the next he would shank balls out the park left, right and centre.

In my opinion, he was a contender for POTY for us last season and would be a decent option for anyone at the top end of this league and even the bottom half of the Championship.

I heard he was holding out to see if there was any full time offers on the table for him.
Hmm, can't see us signing anymore central midfielders if Carswell signs on again, unless of course he's signing as backup for that position.

I reckon if it is him he'll be deployed at right back.

Hmm, can't see us signing anymore central midfielders if Carswell signs on again, unless of course he's signing as backup for that position.

I reckon if it is him he'll be deployed at right back.

I think one of his right back appearances was away to Arbroath last season when we shipped 7 goals and I’m not sure we seen him there again.

It’s difficult to say how he’d do in that position over the course of a season with such a small sample size.

In one of the papers about a Motherwell player we’re being linked with, but not seen it myself.

If anyone has the relevant rag.....

It’s apparently George Newell...

Dumbarton want Motherwell forward

Dumbarton are interested in signing Motherwell’s George Newell on loan. Manager Stevie Aitken will approach the Steelmen for the forward. (Daily Record)

I think one of his right back appearances was away to Arbroath last season when we shipped 7 goals and I’m not sure we seen him there again.

It’s difficult to say how he’d do in that position over the course of a season with such a small sample size.

Ah well, looks like we wont need to find out!

Not sure what went wrong with Handling for you but during our farce of a run in under Hughes he was one of probably less than a handful of players who looked like he had even seen a football before. I thought he'd do well last season.

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Any good?

Difficult to say one way or another. Fitness seems to have been his main problem. He missed a fair chunk of the season with a largely undefined injury. He made a few appearances off the bench early in the season but honestly looked knackered after 5 minutes and after he came back from whatever the injury was his season was finished in the SC Semi Final after Kari Arnason broke his face.

It's damning him with faint praise but the general consensus amongst a section of our fan base is that "he's got something about him". Which is fair comment I suppose. He looked quite bright when he got on the park and showed a bit of urgency but never really did much but then again as a striker going from Bolton u23s to our first team is a fair step.

He was originally announced as signing for us on a 1 year deal but it seems to have been low-key extended to the end of 2019. IMO a loan would work for pretty much everyone, especially if he's eligible for a development loan. He needs game time and it's likely to be limited with us.

27 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

He seems to be an actual striker, so he's already won me over to be honest.

He is indeed. As I said above he didn't really get much by way of game time but he did score for our 'Colt' team with a tidy finish against Crusaders (the game below probably gives you a fairly decent idea of what he's about tbh).

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Not sure what went wrong with Handling for you but during our farce of a run in under Hughes he was one of probably less than a handful of players who looked like he had even seen a football before. I thought he'd do well last season.

2 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I’d take Handling back without a doubt.

He played about 5 minutes for us before walking off early in the season, a knee injury that Aitken wasn't too happy with, bemoaned that Handling would need to get it fixed, sounded like he perhaps wasn't up front about it prior to joining us. He went for a knee operation and came back to the team showing not very much in the way of technical ability and even less in determination to win the ball back. He scored a peach against TNS and we hoped that would kick him on but he was very disappointing, especially when we had a talent like Froxylias sitting on the bench. 

I don't think you'll find a Sons who would be bothered if he left, with most hoping he does move on.

The boy Newell sounds like he might do a job if he's getting a preseason under his belt. Seems a big lad, with someone like Seagal playing off him it might work. 

Archived