Will anyone else win the World Cup?

Shotgun

There have now been 19 World Cup competitions producing 8 different winners, Brazil (5), Italy & Germany (4), Uruguay (2) and England, Argentina, France & Spain with 1 each.

7 of those teams will be competing this time around and 5 of them, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, France and Spain should be considered potential winners. In fact, the winners will most likely come from that group of 5. And probably next time and the time after that.

The question is, will anyone from outside this group ever win the World Cup and if so, who will it be? Scotland is the obvious choice but who else?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it myself but China is the only nation with potential I think. Look at what they did when they wanted to be the best at the Olympics. Threw money at it and now top the medal table every time. It would take years but with their determination they could upset the apple cart.

To make matters even more predictable, the last (possibly only) first-time winners that were considered to be a surprise were West Germany in 1954. The World Cup is a remarkably closed tournament, considering the similarly-formatted (and younger) European Championships boasts winners like Czechoslovakia, Denmark, and Greece, none of whom were seriously considered as contenders before the tournament.

FWIW, I reckon it'll open up eventually...but, then again, I've been thinking that for twenty years or more. Can't see anyone winning it for the first time this year. Portugal would probably be the best bet for that, and I don't see then managing to shitfest their way through two tournaments in a row.

Argentina have won it twice. 1978 and 1986..

cant see any teams winning other than the usual suspects in the near future. Belgium have the squad for it but I really doubt they can go all the way.. think their golden generation will fade away like others have.

Just now, Cerberus said:

Nah. The last 4 have been won by European countries.
 I don't even see that changing soon.

It's been a long time since Brazil were good.

Brazil last won it in 2002, so 4 out of the last 5 have been European teams. But your point still stands.

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

There have now been 19 World Cup competitions producing 8 different winners, Brazil (5), Italy & Germany (4), Uruguay (2) and England, Argentina, France & Spain with 1 each.

7 of those teams will be competing this time around and 5 of them, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, France and Spain should be considered potential winners. In fact, the winners will most likely come from that group of 5. And probably next time and the time after that.

The question is, will anyone from outside this group ever win the World Cup and if so, who will it be? Scotland is the obvious choice but who else?

The last two single time winners in the list are of course relatively recent.  That group used to be even tighter.  

I think the winner this time is very likely to come from that group.

Outside it, I'd go for Mexico, Belgium or Russia.  

England are of course part of the group, but look like an outlier.  They have a better chance though, than anyone who's yet to win.

I doubt anyone else will this tournament. 

• Belgium obviously have some excellent players, but I reckon their manager and wing-backs will let them down. 
  • Portugal have some great attacking talent in Ronaldo, Andre Silva, and Bernardo Silva, but their centre-backs are fucking ancient.
  • While the likes of Colombia, Croatia and Senegal (and others, I'm sure) have enough good players that one of them could wind up as a surprise quarter/semi-finalist, their overall squad isn't anywhere near close to winning it. 

It's also extremely unlikely we'll have a Portugal 2016 scenario, where a team can win the tournament despite only winning one game in normal time. 

43 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The last two single time winners in the list are of course relatively recent.  That group used to be even tighter.  

I think the winner this time is very likely to come from that group.

Outside it, I'd go for Mexico, Belgium or Russia.  

England are of course part of the group, but look like an outlier.  They have a better chance though, than anyone who's yet to win.

Wouldn't say they've got a better chance than Belgium.  Belgium have a far superior squad.

West Germany, 1954, were the only real outsiders I can think of. And they were only outsiders because Hungary were so much better than anyone else at that time.

Long term I think the US, Mexico, China, Japan, Nigeria, Russia and DRC could win it. There is bound to be the odd long shot every fifty to a hundred years. I wouldn't rule out Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Morocco, Iran, Turkey, Poland, Netherlands, Portugal, South Korea or Colombia.

If pish like Greece and Portugal can win the Euros then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a diddyish nation could eventually win the World Cup.

I think it will be a favourites, competition this year, though. I'll be surprised if we have a single team who hasn't won it before make the semis.

9 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

West Germany, 1954, were the only real outsiders I can think of. And they were only outsiders because Hungary were so much better than anyone else at that time.

Long term I think the US, Mexico, China, Japan, Nigeria, Russia and DRC could win it. There is bound to be the odd long shot every fifty to a hundred years. I wouldn't rule out Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Egypt, Morocco, Iran, Turkey, Poland, Netherlands, Portugal, South Korea or Colombia.

If pish like Greece and Portugal can win the Euros then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a diddyish nation could eventually win the World Cup.

I think it will be a favourites, competition this year, though. I'll be surprised if we have a single team who hasn't won it before make the semis.

Democratic Republic of Congo?

Archived