Champions League 2018-2019 Thread

GNU_Linux

Guest DAVIDB69
I’d like to see Atletico Madrid win the CL. Likeable manager and club.

I would too also Sevilla the Europa , as I do this double every year , I have close to it a few times

Absolutely buzzing for that Atletico performance and win. Delighted for Gimenez, he's fantastic week in, week out and has got a bit of stick recently from some bellends. Still not totally confident about the tie being done, been some horrendous performances away from home this season. I don't know if any player will hate VAR more than Morata though, two stonewall penalties denied so far, a goal wrongly chopped off then that tonight. 

14 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

I’d like to see Atletico Madrid win the CL. Likeable manager and club.

I would too, and I'm a Juve fan :(. Was actually in Turin two weekends ago last year with my son for the 7-0 game against Sassuolo, loved the city, loved the new stadium. Thought Allegri thought he had it sussed at ht, but really didn't defend well second half. Disappointing and can't see Juve coming back from that, but would love to see Atleti win it.

Went to Hill of Beath Hawthorn so just catching up. Sensible discussion and no sniping this is more like it :)

City all but through to the last 8 and Juventus with a mountain to climb ! 

Edited by Rab B Nesbit

3 hours ago, The Master said:

I love how Peter Walton could give two f**ks about the opinion of Rio Ferdinand and Owen Hargreaves on the first penalty.

No arguing...just reiterating that it was a correct decision whenever he spoke.

This has happened a few times on that BT Sport Score show they do on a Saturday. 

The referee has actually been quoting the rules to them stating that the correct decision was given, and you have guys like Jenas, Savage etc. just point blank disagreeing with them. 

The use of VAR just hurts my soul. I can't properly articulate my feelings on it right now (I'll take some time and probably write my thoughts down) but I just want the game to have its imperfections and contentious moments without having to replay every debatable goal. The arguments for it seem to be more about the amount of money riding on games rather than the most important thing (to us fans) which is the spectacle, the drama and the emotion. 

The use of VAR just hurts my soul. I can't properly articulate my feelings on it right now (I'll take some time and probably write my thoughts down) but I just want the game to have its imperfections and contentious moments without having to replay every debatable goal. The arguments for it seem to be more about the amount of money riding on games rather than the most important thing (to us fans) which is the spectacle, the drama and the emotion. 

It feeds into the overriding truth that football at the upper echelons is no longer about the fans.

Scenes sucked right out of goals whilst two teams argue over whether it should be referred to VAR or not as soon as it hits the net then chase the ref over to his wee screen.

There is a place for technology in football but I dont like this. Two examples tonight that I didnt like. Diego Costa correctly losing a penalty (fair enough) but the replay clearly showed that there was absolutely no foul on him. Still got the free kick.

And the Morata goal. We are now going to see the completion of contact in the box being totally outlawed. Centre halfs will be diving almost as much as strikers. VAR has amplified some of the more unsaovury behaviours of players IMO

I'll always support VAR. Couldn't give a f**k what life it sucks out. It'll lead to more correct decisions and give referees help they need, because we know they get f**k all help from media, players and managers.

As for Man City beating German relegation candidates, bit of a non-story. Going behind to them kinda shows them up to be incompetent.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

It feeds into the overriding truth that football at the upper echelons is no longer about the fans.

Scenes sucked right out of goals whilst two teams argue over whether it should be referred to VAR or not as soon as it hits the net then chase the ref over to his wee screen.

There is a place for technology in football but I dont like this. Two examples tonight that I didnt like. Diego Costa correctly losing a penalty (fair enough) but the replay clearly showed that there was absolutely no foul on him. Still got the free kick.

And the Morata goal. We are now going to see the completion of contact in the box being totally outlawed. Centre halfs will be diving almost as much as strikers. VAR has amplified some of the more unsaovury behaviours of players IMO

Hmmm. The atmospheres in Champions League games are the best I’ve seen and the fans seem to be doing alright. Unfortunately it seems we could do with VAR up here more than anywhere as the life is getting sucked out of our game :(

38 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I'll always support VAR. Couldn't give a f**k what life it sucks out. It'll lead to more correct decisions and give referees help they need, because we know they get f**k all help from media, players and managers.

As for Man City beating German relegation candidates, bit of a non-story. Going behind to them kinda shows them up to be incompetent.

Sounds promising :)