Europa League 2018-2019

GNU_Linux

28 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

All the diddy teams seem to be qualifying this evening.

Nah Burnley got knocked out champ.

Giving a stack of automatic entries to clubs from the top countries has drawn criticism but on this season's evidence the revamp really does not stop the European diddies from making it: if they are champions, they now in fact get a reasonable path both in the early stages of the CL and deep into the EL qualifiers - which gives most of them a fighting chance of playing European football until Christmas. Spartak Trnava will play in the group stages of a European competition for the first time after being edged out of the CL by Red Star after extra time in the last round. They now stand to make several million Euros from their cup run - at least their annual budget - regardless of who they get in the group stage draw. Two teams from Cyprus and the Luxembourg permadiddies also show that it's not going to be a closed shop tournament, but the weight of bigger names is probably enough to generate more commercial interest in the tournament than before. 

When Celtic drew Red Bull Salzburg I had hoped there was a clause that kept the two Red Bull franchises apart but alas it was not to be.  Rosenborg are definitely the devil we know so I hope Celtic can get 6 points there and after that at least 1 win in one of the games against the Red Bull sides could very well be sufficient to qualify.  Will be tough but I think Celtic can do it

When Celtic drew Red Bull Salzburg I had hoped there was a clause that kept the two Red Bull franchises apart but alas it was not to be.  Rosenborg are definitely the devil we know so I hope Celtic can get 6 points there and after that at least 1 win in one of the games against the Red Bull sides could very well be sufficient to qualify.  Will be tough but I think Celtic can do it
"Just on that Red Bull derby: you might be wondering how this is allowed. And you’d probably be right to wonder that, given the influence of the sickly energy drink company on both clubs.

The simple, if rather unsatisfying answer is that according to Uefa “no individual or legal entity had a decisive influence over more than one club”. That’s because technically speaking Red Bull no longer own Salzburg, they merely sponsor them (and their stadium). So that’s all above board, then. Uefa checked the small print last year on this and ruled it OK."

3 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

"Just on that Red Bull derby: you might be wondering how this is allowed. And you’d probably be right to wonder that, given the influence of the sickly energy drink company on both clubs.

The simple, if rather unsatisfying answer is that according to Uefa “no individual or legal entity had a decisive influence over more than one club”. That’s because technically speaking Red Bull no longer own Salzburg, they merely sponsor them (and their stadium). So that’s all above board, then. Uefa checked the small print last year on this and ruled it OK."

Ah OK, I wasn't aware that Red Bull had sold their shares (officially) in Red Bull Salzburg.

9 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Just like MPs employee their spouses as PAs on £35k a year and you find many spouses own the family homes and cars before a business goes tits up. Looks like just another example of easily got round legislation put in place to show the right thing is being done when there is absolutely no intention of that actually happening. Money will always rule.

2 hours ago, Slenderman said:

Some cracking away days for Sevco. Shame they'll probably fucking run amok in the cities.

Given the only place this season that they haven't been found fighting in the streets was Russia, I reckon they will probably shite it again when they go to Moscow.

30 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Given the only place this season that they haven't been found fighting in the streets was Russia, I reckon they will probably shite it again when they go to Moscow.

Just think it's a shame. Must be amazing to watch your club play in a great city, yet OF fans start rattling c***s with bar stools & plastic garden chairs.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to this getting started again, 

Not making it out to Rome tomorrow to see Lazio play Limassol, but off to Germany week after next for the fixture against Frankfurt. Looking at Marseille as well but they have had a ban on fans, so takes away the atmosphere a bit. 

Some very fair pricing from Lazio for it, all three home games for €30. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mkhitaryan hasn't travelled to Azerbaijan so it would seem, due to political tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan.  Can't recall this happening before, or that being the sole reason for a player not travelling to play a game of football.