Serbia vs. Switzerland

senorsoupe

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Pfft, clearly doesn’t give a f**k about Kosovo then, eh? Just at the wind up....

The Swiss have a good laugh about it all anyway!

Like most things, they get foreigners in to do the jobs they don’t really want to.(Only works when you consider Football is viewed as something the poor folk do here, though that’s fast changing...)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Like most things, they get foreigners in to do the jobs they don’t really want to.

Which toilets are you in charge of Ross?

30 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Which toilets are you in charge of Ross?

I’ve been told more than a few times over here that I’m the “right kind of foreigner”. Make of that what you will. At least one of the guys who has said that to me is in Russia right now celebrating a couple of wrong uns keeping their World Cup hopes alive.

And it’s the 3rd floor left. Always keep the best of aftershave in stock too.

Had over 3.5 cards on, and considering the game, I thought I'd be quids in by half-time. Made to sweat it until the 87th minute and Mitrovic's gobby mouth getting him a yellow. 

Also, how the feck weren't commentators in the loop about this match being a bit of a 'derby' considering the number of Kosovan/Albanians in the Swiss side and it being against Serbia! Sure after Xhaka's leveler, one said ''Ah, he's overjoyed at being at the World Cup'' or something!

22 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Had over 3.5 cards on, and considering the game, I thought I'd be quids in by half-time. Made to sweat it until the 87th minute and Mitrovic's gobby mouth getting him a yellow. 

Also, how the feck weren't commentators in the loop about this match being a bit of a 'derby' considering the number of Kosovan/Albanians in the Swiss side and it being against Serbia! Sure after Xhaka's leveler, one said ''Ah, he's overjoyed at being at the World Cup'' or something!

Because their research on, and interest in, each team extends to which players play for English teams 

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Mitrovic asked: “If he loves Kosovo so much and decides to flaunt the flag, why did he refuse a chance to play for their team?”

Good to see Mitrovic isn’t bothered in the slightest.

On 22/06/2018 at 22:11, Ross. said:

I’ve been told more than a few times over here that I’m the “right kind of foreigner”. Make of that what you will. At least one of the guys who has said that to me is in Russia right now celebrating a couple of wrong uns keeping their World Cup hopes alive.

And it’s the 3rd floor left. Always keep the best of aftershave in stock too.

Switzerland only really made a rightward turn on immigration in the noughties - that's why half their football team is from Kosovo or are also refugees of the Balkans' wars since they were more willing to take in those refugees in the nineties.

10 hours ago, Forest of Dean said:

Switzerland only really made a rightward turn on immigration in the noughties - that's why half their football team is from Kosovo or are also refugees of the Balkans' wars since they were more willing to take in those refugees in the nineties.

The immigration policy seemed largely forced on them as part of their interactions with the EU. Pretty much demanded freedom of movement or the banks wouldn’t get the passport and the engineering firms would pay huge tariffs. Poppy lagoon has gone from 5m to around 8m in about 30 years as a result. Aside from the obvious German/French/Italian immigration there  is a relatively large Portuguese element too, the town I live in and quite a few in the area have Portuguese as the 4th most spoken language behind the 3 native ones.

I think Switzerland took in a relatively large number of refugees from the Balkans as a form of gesture politics, given they had previously been criticized for turning people away left ,right and centre. There are a lot of folk here, particularly older folk, who blame everything negative in Switzerland on the “Yugo’s” but I don’t see any real problems here and as a football fan who goes to games here, I tend to find them like everyone else in this country, just generally a little louder. No doubt they have played a huge role in the last decade of success the Swiss National side(and Basel) have had. 

Archived