Little Racist House on the Prairie

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Question remains:  Is 'Tally' an acceptable term for ice cream vans or is it racist?

I have no idea. Probably.

Was there much anti Italian sentiment after the war ? If you can imagine the words dirty or greasy being prefixed then it most certainly would be racist.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You've got Reagan  mixed up with Bush Snr. He was slagging off the Simpsons by saying America should be more like the Waltons.

No.  I did not get mixed up here.  Reagan loved "Little House on the Prairie" and ordinary folk going about their ordinary lives in a god fearing kind of way - even if they kind of sometimes forgot to use the correct words for people who were sort of different.  Ah shucks - you know what I mean.

The issue with the Waltons was that the actor Will Geer who played Grandpa Walton had very different politics to Ronald Reagan - and was blacklisted during the McCarthy era. 

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Was there much anti Italian sentiment after the war ? If you can imagine the words dirty or greasy being prefixed then it most certainly would be racist.

I don't recall any at all and would say the Italian Scots community are admired more than anything else. I reckon most of us could list a good couple of dozen of well-loved Italian Scots - including the owners of my favourite deli in Elm Row when we stayed in Carlton Terrace.

I don't see 'tally' as pejorative but am happy to be corrected.

7 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

No.  I did not get mixed up here.  Reagan loved "Little House on the Prairie" and ordinary folk going about their ordinary lives in a god fearing kind of way - even if they kind of sometimes forgot to use the correct words for people who were sort of different.  Ah shucks - you know what I mean.

The issue with the Waltons was that the actor Will Geer who played Grandpa Walton had very different politics to Ronald Reagan - and was blacklisted during the McCarthy era. 

Apologies. God I was innocent as a child, never realised I was watching mind bending and world changing propaganda.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/little-house-on-the-prairie-conservatism-214237

3 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Because of its outdated views and because it’s utter shit, we should stop children reading...

NotThePars

3 hours ago, NotThePars said:

...Little House on the Prairie 

iShBfc6.gif&key=856ad35b2451d056535fb4e3

2 hours ago, steve55 said:

Just like your outdated Avatar...which is very offensive to the millions killed under that flag... 

MAIN-Hitlers-interest-in-the-Wild-West.jpg

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Vastarien_01.jpg

Deal with it.

Wow, just wow.

Seriously though, I am not sure how sensible it is to teach children a sanitised version of history where nothing bad ever happened.

Teach them what happened, why it was bad or good, and what was done to change the bad stuff.

The Italian half of my household claims to have never been called a Tally, Wop or any version of 'Eyetie' in her puff - says the only derogatory thing anyone's ever said to her was when I claimed I woke up next to a horses head every single morning.

When pressed she says the only thing she can remember happening during her childhood was The Sun triggering her dad by printing something about Italians surrendering to which he phoned them up to shout at them for a bit then hasn't bought the paper since.

They have never owned a chippy or an ice cream van though.

18 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

I get called 'Jock' by loads of punters at work. Should I be offended?

Do I qualify for BBC Question Time audience tickets to express my disgust?

I got called Jock maybe once or twice in the Forces, I didn't answer and it wasn't repeated.

26 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

I get called 'Jock' by loads of punters at work. Should I be offended?

Do I qualify for BBC Question Time audience tickets to express my disgust?

Jock, Sweaty Sock,FRISP (fecking repulsive ignorant Scottish p***k) and my favourite as it is doubly offensive, porridge wog. 

I'm still in councilling. ^_^

In no way did I verbally abuse our morris dancing neighbours.... Honest.

8 hours ago, banana said:

Wow, just wow.

Whilst I'm sure you have plenty of pictures of ya boy Adolf next to all your Pepe memes, you've chosen the wrong one here. Captain America was an Antifa supersoldier, so this doesn't work.

Better luck next time m9.

On 6/27/2018 at 09:45, Ned Nederlander said:

The Italian half of my household claims to have never been called a Tally, Wop or any version of 'Eyetie' in her puff - says the only derogatory thing anyone's ever said to her was when I claimed I woke up next to a horses head every single morning.

When pressed she says the only thing she can remember happening during her childhood was The Sun triggering her dad by printing something about Italians surrendering to which he phoned them up to shout at them for a bit then hasn't bought the paper since.

They have never owned a chippy or an ice cream van though.

Knew quite a few folk of .Italian origin when I was a youngster two of my mates mum was Italian, and she did own a chip shop, never heard of any racist stuff towards them. What's a wop never ever heard that one?

On 6/26/2018 at 22:16, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

It's 'Eye-tie' rather than 'Tally' shirley ?

There's also a joke somewhere in here about you, input and Scotch.

That's how they used to describe Italians in commando comics back in the day, apart from that I've never heard it used.

On 6/26/2018 at 22:38, The_Kincardine said:

40 miles but different terms?  Motherwell chip shops in the 60s/70s included Gino's, Suave's and Onesti's - the latter still operating.  We only used the 'Tally' term for ice cream vans, though.

Question remains:  Is 'Tally' an acceptable term for ice cream vans or is it racist?

That's how chippys and ice cream vans were described in 80s killie, haven't heard it used in years.

13 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Knew quite a few folk of .Italian origin when I was a youngster two of my mates mum was Italian, and she did own a chip shop, never heard of any racist stuff towards them. What's a wop never ever heard that one?

A derogatory term for an Italian and other swarthy Mediterranean types.

Archived