Little Racist House on the Prairie

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/06/2018 at 20:44, ICTJohnboy said:

Nothing wrong with the Waltons, mate.

:(

You can't really tell from the daytime repeats because they've cut out all the sex and violence and swearing.

On 27/06/2018 at 09:45, Ned Nederlander said:

The Italian half of my household claims to have never been called a Tally, Wop or any version of 'Eyetie' in her puff - says the only derogatory thing anyone's ever said to her was when I claimed I woke up next to a horses head every single morning.

Whereas she wakes up next to a horse's arse? :)

On 01/07/2018 at 12:22, cowdenbeath said:

As i said never heard of that one maybe it had died out by the age I noticed such things.

It’s an American term, supposedly stands for “without papers” and refers to Italian immigrants. If someone uses it in this country they’ve probably watched too many gangster films.

12 minutes ago, The OP said:

It’s an American term, supposedly stands for “without papers” and refers to Italian immigrants. If someone uses it in this country they’ve probably watched too many gangster films.

Didn't know the origin of the word so that's today's lesson. 

As a kid my granny gave me some of my dad's old 'war books', they would have been written in the 40's and sometimes referred to Italians as 'dagos'.  Especially if they were being underhand like attacking the plucky Brits. :lol:

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Didn't know the origin of the word so that's today's lesson. 

As a kid my granny gave me some of my dad's old 'war books', they would have been written in the 40's and sometimes referred to Italians as 'dagos'.  Especially if they were being underhand like attacking the plucky Brits. :lol:

According to wiki that origin is actually  made up, like ned standing for non-educated delinquent. Apparently it actually comes from guappo which basically seems to be southern Italian slang for wide-o. Pretty much all the Italian immigrants to Scotland were from the North or middle of Italy rather than the south which maybe explains why it’s just really an American term.

Always thought of dago meaning Spanish (maybe from Fawlty Towers), never knew it referred to Italians too.

7 minutes ago, The OP said:

According to wiki that origin is actually  made up, like ned standing for non-educated delinquent. Apparently it actually comes from guappo which basically seems to be southern Italian slang for wide-o. Pretty much all the Italian immigrants to Scotland were from the North or middle of Italy rather than the south which maybe explains why it’s just really an American term.

Always thought of dago meaning Spanish (maybe from Fawlty Towers), never knew it referred to Italians too.

Our racists are a bit thick. Dago comes from Diego, a Spanish name. Italians also used to be called "Spics", short for Hispanic. :1eye

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Our racists are a bit thick. Dago comes from Diego, a Spanish name. Italians also used to be called "Spics", short for Hispanic. :1eye

Spose it’s the same blanketing which makes all east asians chinese and south asians pakistanis.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

You can't really tell from the daytime repeats because they've cut out all the sex and violence and swearing.

52 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I may be imagining this but I'm sure I remember an episode where one of the Waltons sucked off a horse. 

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I do recall that Mary Ellen enjoyed having fifteen hands between her legs.

How dare you post such scurrilous comments on my decent,  clean living , god fearing family.

:angry:

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Hispanic refers to Spain, not Italy. So (as 'spic' is an American term) more likely to be used about Mexicans.

"Can I go to the Tally for a pokey hat" is right and that 'Eye-tie' was never used to describe an ice cream van around the Glasgow/Lanarkshire area.
I am also certain that most jokes about me and 'Scotch' have been done to death.  Think of a new one and I may laugh [emoji6]
When double nugget was a black man off the Tally.

55 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Hispanic refers to Spain, not Italy. So (as 'spic' is an American term) more likely to be used about Mexicans.

That was my point about how thick our racists are. I've heard Brits use "spics" to refer to Italians.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That was my point about how thick our racists are. I've heard Brits use "spics" to refer to Italians.

Ah, whooshed. Sorry.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Also heard a *** stand outside a chippy with an Italy flag on the front and say fucking ****** flag. :lol:

The latter stars are what kinky et al mean when they refer to green yins.

7 hours ago, The OP said:

I know a guy of Italian descent who told me that a surprising amount of fourth or fifth generation Italian Scots  - descendants of the Italians who came here around the turn of the last century - originate from only two or three distinct locations.

His great-grandfather or whatever came from a wee village somewhere near Naples and when he visited it it turned out he was either related to or knew somebody from home who was related to virtually everybody he met there.

3 hours ago, mjw said:

When double nugget was a black man off the Tally.

Not a term we ever used.  However, I mentioned a double nugget the other day.  Possibly the best ice cream delight on the planet.

52 minutes ago, The OP said:

The latter stars are what kinky et al mean when they refer to green yins.

Eh?  We absolutely don't.  Your paranoia is astonishing.

9 hours ago, The OP said:

Since I'm responsible for this I'd like to say I got it from this man's autobiography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Esposito

Although I'm pretty certain it was also used in the Sopranos episode I'm currently watching, so, yeah.

Archived