England v. Belgium

Figured I'd start the thread early; I imagine this might be one of the few times P&B will want England to win, considering how the knockout stages are shaping up. Finishing second in in Group G will stick tonight's losing team in the right half of the tournament, which seems like a free pass to the semi-final at this rate;

drrr2.thumb.jpg.653d8008f7c49f22d0599f7262d88c1e.jpg

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Can't see anything but a nil nil borefest. Could be interesting if fringe players on each side are told to get carded.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what we'll get. Might even be worth betting on it at around 7-1.

I reckon potential for goals here. Both teams are excellent going forward but are questionable at the back without having really been tested so far by Tunisia or an absolutely honking Panama side. Belgium with Boyata who's got a clanger in him, and England have Maguire and Walker in a back 3. Maguire looks ropey at times, and Walker can be a complete idiot.

Now I have said that it's nailed on for 0-0.

Belgium to rest 10 players; England to rest a couple; England to win 2-0 then get beat by Colombia in the next round; Belgium to make at least a semi v Croatia; English media to savage Southgate for being a snowflake, too nice, not devious enough, more interested in gaining recognition from the PC brigade than winning matches, if only Alex Ferguson were here...

Hoping for a comfortable Belgium win there is no situation in which I would want England to win.  I was thinking of watching this but will probably decide not to and go with Tunisia instead and record this instead to watch if the result is favourable.  I just think the commentators and people in the studio will be unbearable if England are heading for victory.

16 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Hoping for a comfortable Belgium win there is no situation in which I would want England to win.  I was thinking of watching this but will probably decide not to and go with Tunisia instead and record this instead to watch if the result is favourable.  I just think the commentators and people in the studio will be unbearable if England are heading for victory.

I can't watch the 3pm games live so I'm thinking of recording them and watching at 7. Ordinarily Belgium v England should be a good watch, but a combination of them doubtless rotating their squads and the most insufferable commentary known to any species in our supercluster means it not worth it. 

Or I might watch Tunisia v Panama.

2 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

The idea that England would finish second and  just breeze past Colombia is laughable imo.

This. If I were English, I'd want to win tonight. Keep the momentum going and have a far easier opponent in the last 16. If they win the next round, I don't think Sweden (who I'd expect to beat Switzerland) would be much easier than Brazil anyway, with the latter hardly having impressed so far.

Archived