Spain v Russia

throbber

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

A ball slams into a player's arm and one team is screaming for a penalty, while the others are claiming it was an accident. ... In Fifa's Laws of the Game 2005, Law 12 says a free-kick or penalty will be awarded if a player "handles the ball deliberately(except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)".

Only slammed into his arm because he put it up there after it dropped down.  

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JamieStevenson said:

Still 0 Spain shots

Bar the usual dressage passing around midfield, they've been dreadful again. Iran and Morocco would've made better games than this mob and Portugal.

1 minute ago, AyrshireTon said:

Don’t think it was deliberate but it’s more of a penalty than some of the soft VAR ones (Iran springs to mind).

I've always thought that the rule should be rewritten to say it's a penalty if an arm/hand blocks a goal bound shot, which was the case here.

He intentionally raised his arm above his head to try to prevent the Russian player scoring - he might have meant to just put him off, but he deserved all he got there.

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Now we'll get the definitive answer from Gary and his panel of experts failed or never were managers.

Just my opinion, mind you.

1 minute ago, banana said:

Bar the usual dressage passing around midfield, they've been dreadful again. Iran and Morocco would've made better games than this mob and Portugal.

Spain are all about passing and trying to create space, but they used to do it with slow, slow, then quick passing, and knew when to inject some pace and attack teams. Now its just slow all the time. It's not just that teams are sitting back and being defensive against them, and making it difficult, Spain seem to have lost the ability to be incisive and to know when to up the tempo. Instead of just retaining possession and waiting for someone to make a mistake, they need to try and make it happen, but only Isco looks like being interested in doing this. Makes them very frustrating to watch.

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've always thought that the rule should be rewritten to say it's a penalty if an arm/hand blocks a goal bound shot, which was the case here.

He intentionally raised his arm above his head to try to prevent the Russian player scoring - he might have meant to just put him off, but he deserved all he got there.

I was also under the opinion that deliberate handball to deny a goal scoring opportunity was an automatic red card.

Did that rule change?

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

I was also under the opinion that deliberate handball to deny a goal scoring opportunity was an automatic red card.

Did that rule change?

I don't think that one would come under that rule with the shot having been taken and the keeper still in the way.

It tends to be more for punching it off the line.

Archived