Spain v Russia

throbber

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, bairney said:

Uruguay also won it as hosts in the first world cup in 1930.

So did Italy. (Not the same year, obviously, but in 1934 :lol:.)

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

So did Italy. (Not the same year, obviously, but in 1934 :lol:.)

I am sure sure  I read a while back that Italy had brought a number of South Americans into there squad for the 1934 world cup as they were deemed eligible because of national service for Italy.  I am sure that technically that was wrong and they were all ineligible to be fielded but FIFA took no action against Italy.

Pretty dire match - Spain just so negative and Russia looking for penalties as soon as they equalised.

The handball for the penalty - can someone clarify why it was given? Looked to me like he knew f**k all about it - a classic ball to hand at close quarters.

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Pretty dire match - Spain just so negative and Russia looking for penalties as soon as they equalised.

The handball for the penalty - can someone clarify why it was given? Looked to me like he knew f**k all about it - a classic ball to hand at close quarters.

He'd already jumped up when he stuck his hand up mid air, after he knew he'd missed the defensive header.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He'd already jumped up when he stuck his hand up mid air, after he knew he'd missed the defensive header.

Basically this.  Pique knew what he was doing, he basically knew he had missed the ball and was feart that they might get a header in so decided to stick his hand up, which was sheer stupidity.

Glad Spain are out to be honest.  While the short passing and possession football can at times look great, if there's no end product or any kind of tempo, then you won't get anywhere.  As much as Russia towards the end were obviously playing for penalties, towards the end of the second half/throughout extra time, there was absolutely no sign of Spain playing with any kind of tempo needed to win rthe match.  It was all tippy tappy passes around the middle of the park.

Needs more hoofball....

2 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Basically this.  Pique knew what he was doing, he basically knew he had missed the ball and was feart that they might get a header in so decided to stick his hand up, which was sheer stupidity.

Glad Spain are out to be honest.  While the short passing and possession football can at times look great, if there's no end product or any kind of tempo, then you won't get anywhere.  As much as Russia towards the end were obviously playing for penalties, towards the end of the second half/throughout extra time, there was absolutely no sign of Spain playing with any kind of tempo needed to win rthe match.  It was all tippy tappy passes around the middle of the park.

Needs more hoofball....

They looked much better against Portugal, entertaining even. Don't understand why they didn't change the strategy of patiently grinding out a result by keeping possession and waiting for the Russians to f**k up when it clearly wasn't happening. The beautiful game my arse. 

30 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Seeing Ramos greeting has been the highlight of the tournament so far for me. Feel sorry for the rest of them though, especially Iniesta.

I hope the Spanish public blame Real Madrid for their demise.

No doubt Real Madrid will be given no blame for this.  If it was Barcelona no doubt the pitchforks would be out against them along with accusations of sabotage and treason.

4 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

I am sure sure  I read a while back that Italy had brought a number of South Americans into there squad for the 1934 world cup as they were deemed eligible because of national service for Italy.  I am sure that technically that was wrong and they were all ineligible to be fielded but FIFA took no action against Italy.

Nationality rules were fairly flexible back-in-the-day. Presumably just having a passport.

Puskas and Kubala both played for Hungary and Spain... remarkably Di Stefano played for Argentina, Colombia and Spain. Several players turned-out for both the Irelands.

Famously the United States team that beat England in 1950 were all home-based but the 19-man squad included 2 Scots, 1 Englishman, 1 Pole, 1 Belgian, 1 Haitian and 1 Fiumese (by birth - part of Yugoslavia come tournament).

37 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Nationality rules were fairly flexible back-in-the-day. Presumably just having a passport.

Puskas and Kubala both played for Hungary and Spain... remarkably Di Stefano played for Argentina, Colombia and Spain. Several players turned-out for both the Irelands.

Famously the United States team that beat England in 1950 were all home-based but the 19-man squad included 2 Scots, 1 Englishman, 1 Pole, 1 Belgian, 1 Haitian and 1 Fiumese (by birth - part of Yugoslavia come tournament).

It still feels like cheating, I am sure some of the South Americans played for Argentina and Uruguay in 1930 amongst other nations from that continent.

On Sunday, July 01, 2018 at 19:00, CaspianChris said:

It still feels like cheating, I am sure some of the South Americans played for Argentina and Uruguay in 1930 amongst other nations from that continent.

The USA team that reached the semis in 1930 had 5 Scotsmen in it. So they made it further in the tournament than any of us since...

Archived