What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

7 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The whole thread is worth a read on how UK Labour view Scotland but that tweet encapsulates it. Jackie Baillie is the key to their Scottish comeback.

They probably look at Ian Murray's success in Morningside and think that can be replicated across the country.

I mean, I get that there is no obvious solution to their ongoing implosion, but I struggle to see how anybody remotely attuned to Scottish politics since 2014 could conclude that Scottish Labour's route back to relevance lies in essentially trying to out-Unionist the Tories and getting Stephen Daisley to say nice things about them in his Daily Mail column. 

The internal report on the last election has basically said that the route back for Labour is by picking up disaffected voters who allegedly left Labour for the Tories. Apparently the main factor in that is Corbyn's personal unpopularity which the party believes means people that voted for Boris Johnson's Conservative Party will back the same policies under a different leader. Good luck to them.

I honestly hope they do draft in Ian Murray. His smug puss is long overdue a public humilation the same way Jim Murphy did when he thought he'd be cock of the walk in Scotland.

The whole thread is worth a read on how UK Labour view Scotland but that tweet encapsulates it. Jackie Baillie is the key to their Scottish comeback.
It is incredible just how tone deaf Labour are these days. There is absolutely no way back while they continue to try to out staunch the Tories.

They have lost too much of their voter base to the SNP and rather than try to win them back by being more sensitive to the constitutional question, they continue to lose these voters by their intransigence.

I'd probably class myself as a natural Labour voter in terms of the party's general left wing stances under Corbyn but their tone deafness on the constitution means I won't vote for them.

The one size fits all approach might have worked back in the 90s when Scotland was still quite an obedient, meekly Unionist electorate. Not now, those days have gone.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

What is it she posted that was offensive?

Retweeted this article.

1969221180_Screenshot_20200625-152130_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dfec047217bd2e9f8389ae469eea377f.jpg

It is an established fact that the Minneapolis police department receives training by Israeli forces. While Peake may be factually incorrect about them training that technique, the notion that this constitutes 'an antisemitic conspiracy theory' which can somehow be construed as evoking blood libel or blaming Israel for racism in the US is insane nonsense which no one approaching this in good faith will agree with.

59 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Retweeted this article.

1969221180_Screenshot_20200625-152130_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dfec047217bd2e9f8389ae469eea377f.jpg

It is an established fact that the Minneapolis police department receives training by Israeli forces. While Peake may be factually incorrect about them training that technique, the notion that this constitutes 'an antisemitic conspiracy theory' which can somehow be construed as evoking blood libel or blaming Israel for racism in the US is insane nonsense which no one approaching this in good faith will agree with.

Thanks. Seems a very harsh sacking from a leader who was desperate to make himself look a tough guy.

14 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1276167864328880131?s=12

Everything about the Starmer leadership just gives me intrusive thoughts about all the awful Blairite Labour Students types I knew at university. I've said it before and I'll say it again - these people seem to act as though the last decade in politics simply hasn't happened. 

The type of people who's main motivation in politics is to fulfill their craving to bully people in the most cowardly way possible. 

Starmer is showing exactly who he is. The main goal now for the Blairites is to ensure that the left can't gain power again. If that sees them down at 9 million votes at the next election they will still have directorships to fall into. 

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The type of people who's main motivation in politics is to fulfill their craving to bully people in the most cowardly way possible. 

Starmer is showing exactly who he is. The main goal now for the Blairites is to ensure that the left can't gain power again. If that sees them down at 9 million votes at the next election they will still have directorships to fall into. 

I'm willing to bet actual money that Labour don't finish down on the historic low Corbyn took them to at the next election.

Just now, NewBornBairn said:

I'm willing to bet actual money that Labour don't finish down on the historic low Corbyn took them to at the next election.

Correct, the move back to Blairite light policies will see them comfortably increase their appeal.