Club v Country

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You’ve articulated it in quite a deranged way but there some valid points in there. It wasn’t always the case with clubs but you’re right they are far more about business these days than being a cornerstone of a local community, albeit I think that side of it is better here than down south where they have lost all of that.

I do also enjoy the romance of international football and the fact you can’t spend millions on new players if you don’t win things. There’s countless examples of seeing just how much it means to an entire country at even the smallest success at a major tournament.

I still love the dons though, sorry.

I think it would be good if the rules in eligibility also applied to managers.  So your team was truly the best that Panama could come up with themselves.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Just a wee aside.  Everybody reading this, your club, whoever they are, don't matter in the slightest.   They are completely and utterly irrelevant and pointless and unimportant.  They also don't give the slightest f**k about you, and are simply private businesses who want to get as much of your money as possible.

The only possible exception to this is Barcelona if you're Catalan.

If you think club first you're simply wrong and a bit of a weirdo.  International football actually matters.

Or Real Madrid if you're Castilian. Or most Scottish clubs who will never make a profit for their owners. The SFA blazers get nice wee perks from the Tartan Army's contributions though.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

I feel more well disposed to Scotland now that there are plenty Celtic players and no ****. I think I actually prefer them to Ireland these days.

f**k man, just read the recent squad against some CONCACAF mob and the **** are back.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Or Real Madrid if you're Castilian. Or most Scottish clubs who will never make a profit for their owners. The SFA blazers get nice wee perks from the Tartan Army's contributions though.

Nah real Madrid mean fk all.  Hardly any clubs do.  Some pretend they do as it's profitable but would pretend the opposite if it was more profitable.  Celtic a good example. Barcelona are different.  Look at what is going on there now, they genuinely are more than a club.

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

You know what to do Pep, just stick me on ignore, it might just calm you down a wee bit. Jeez are you always in such a state of distress, I can’t be good for you?

Not many people get a nickname. I think he likes you.

9 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Nah real Madrid mean fk all.  Hardly any clubs do.  Some pretend they do as it's profitable but would pretend the opposite if it was more profitable.  Celtic a good example. Barcelona are different.  Look at what is going on there now, they genuinely are more than a club.

Real Madrid like Barcelona are owned by their fans, along with City Council support. Most people in Barcelona want to stay in Spain, that and the money and players they'd lose if they left La Liga is why the club has tried to stay neutral over Catalan independence.

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

This is a blatant lie Ludo*1. Please stop talking utter nonsense. Thank you. 

Perhaps for you and your diddy club, but I'm currently in Portugal having spent £100s already to watch Dundee play a single friendly (I missed today's). I've never been to a single Scotland game in my puff. 

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Just a wee aside.  Everybody reading this, your club, whoever they are, don't matter in the slightest.   They are completely and utterly irrelevant and pointless and unimportant.  They also don't give the slightest f**k about you, and are simply private businesses who want to get as much of your money as possible.

The only possible exception to this is Barcelona if you're Catalan.

If you think club first you're simply wrong and a bit of a weirdo.  International football actually matters.

You are a fucking fruit loop.

I really hope you are as young as you appear to be, it'd give you an excuse for the way you come across.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Choice between Rovers winning the Scottish Cup / Premiership or Scotland winning the World Cup? It would have to be the World Cup. Gives the whole country a lift rather than just one town.

Which of these events would the bookies rate most likely?

Scotland winning the WC. I'd rather Clachnacuddin won the Highland League so long as they messed up the promotion play off myself. If Scotland won the WC I might have to move back to Wales to avoid the hysteria.

11 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

And do you care about the score? Imagine boasting about having to watch a friendly to see your team in Europe and having the cheek to call Taysides premier club a diddy club. 

Stop being such a walking minter and go enjoy Portugal instead of posting blatant lies on pie and bovril.

Thank you. 

Of course I do, at least more than I do about any Scotland game m8. 

I've never really took an interest in watching a squad largely comprised from the two bigot brothers compete on the international stage tbh. Of course I'd be going tonto if Scotland qualified for something but I'd much rather watch Dundee anyday. I don't see what the 'lie' is, exactly? 

If in a perfect world where fitness and conditionioning etc wasn't an issue I'd rather watch club football 12 months of the year than having the WC or Euros. 

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

You’d be going tonto if Scotland qualified but get more joy out of watching Dundee play a friendly? Don’t think I’ve ever broke in to more than a clap when St Johnstone have scored in a friendly. Friendlies are for rugby tbqh. 

Absolutely, because if Scotland qualified I'd be going out for a bevvy with a whole host of different mates as opposed to just the selection that support Dundee. 

I don't mean the game itself - of course I'd celebrate a Scotland goal more than a goal in a friendly, but I'd rather watch a friendly for the club I support more than I would a Scotland game is the point I'm getting at. 

Would I rather Dundee won the Scottish League Cup or Scotland the WC? It's not even a question for me. Doesn't need a second thought. And that's not with the intention of disrespecting Scotland or Scottish fans, For a small example, I just don't get enjoyment out of hating  (I know he's retired) on Scott Brown for 9 months then celebrating his leadership of our country.

57 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Real Madrid like Barcelona are owned by their fans, along with City Council support. Most people in Barcelona want to stay in Spain, that and the money and players they'd lose if they left La Liga is why the club has tried to stay neutral over Catalan independence.

Referendum says no champ.  Or yes obviously.  And the club actually said they would seek to stay at n la Liga but have supported independence overtly for a long time.

Scotland winning the WC. I'd rather Clachnacuddin won the Highland League so long as they messed up the promotion play off myself. If Scotland won the WC I might have to move back to Wales to avoid the hysteria.

I’d be interested to hear the odds for both. Might message Bet365.

23 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Did he cry when Leicester won the league, a much more miraculous achievement?  No he did not.

No, thats because he was pissing himself laughing at what was happening at Dens that night.

GIRFUY.

Club for me.

8 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Fair enough, but I’m sure that you can see that there are a whole host of other reasons why a swathe of Gers fans have drifted away from regularly attending Scotland games. The anti-Rangers/Unionist hostility amongst the hardcore TA being one of them. 

Good.

Archived