Competing with English Football

7 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Didn't know that but it does not surprise me that there's a lower limit for the ugly sisters.  The only surprise is that it isn't a maximum of 2

Yes, the point is that it's framed differently for them in order for the arrangement to favour them.

Of course, before Rangers' liquidation and the resultant demise of the SPL, BT weren't a factor in this in the same way.  

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/07/2018 at 11:09, EdTheDuck said:

The fecker stole that from my comments on the Aberdeen European thread on Friday,cut and paste plagiarist feckwit.

I think there has been a bit of a change in attitude towards EPL in the last couple of years. I usually go to the pub on a Sunday and you will always have ‘Super Sunday’ on the TV’s, but the amount of games that the Sky propaganda machine hype up as being the biggest game ever, then turn out to be an absolute borefest is pretty high. 

Two of the best games I watched last season were the Aberdeen V Rangers game after the split and the Edinburgh derby which may have been after the split too. Not the greatest quality compared to the EPL but the excitement and atmosphere blew them out the water. Infact I would say the Edinburgh derby has consistently been the best game to watch on TV in Britain. 

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

English football however, even though it’s clearly fcuked in the head in regard to finances... I enjoy sitting down to watch, oh, let’s say Newcastle v Liverpool or Spurs v Man City. There’s more strength in depth.

Is there though? City walked the league by 19 points last season and are now odds-on to win it again (can't remember the last time a team was so short). With Pep as manager and the wealth they have, they could dominate for a few seasons.

Six clubs can genuinely claim to have title aspirations.

In the last decade 4 teams have won the league and one of those is widely accepted as being a freak. Arsenal have only come within 10 points of the winner once in that time, Liverpool have probably had 2 genuine challenges and Spurs put the pressure on a couple of times. In any given season there's, at a push, 4 realistic contenders.

Beyond those big six, going to places like Everton, West Ham or suchlike is no cakewalk to get the points.

Burnley finished best of the rest and they took 1 point from a possible 18 at home to the top 6. The gulf between the big sides and the rest is the biggest I can remember.

If you enjoy watching it then crack on, but you don't need to come on here and parrot all the hype that Sky ram down your throat; 'most competitive league in the world', 'anyone can beat anyone' etc

I hate the notion by giving sky my dosh it helps create the monster that we have down south,the Spanish football and the golf keeps me paying the subscription.
As far as the rest of it is concerned i see English football as a second hand car sales man selling bangers at inflatable prices.
The biggest problem Scottish football has is having this abomination next door it causes so much damage to our game.

I hate the notion by giving sky my dosh it helps create the monster that we have down south,the Spanish football and the golf keeps me paying the subscription.
As far as the rest of it is concerned i see English football as a second hand car sales man selling bangers at inflatable prices.
The biggest problem Scottish football has is having this abomination next door it causes so much damage to our game.

Well Sky have lost the Spanish football and there are rumours they don't have all 4 golf majors any more, so get that subscription binned...

They have definitely lost the PGA but I think they still have the other 3 majors. 

I agree with what he’s saying though I’m funding the EPL hype machine by paying my monthly subscription but I wouldn’t want to go without the boxing and golf that they have the rights too. I very rarely watch English football on Sky and they have hardly any SPFL matches apart from the old firm (and I know my team on here says Celtic but I have little interest in that game either).

Sky sports news is nothing but a propaganda machine for everything Sky show, and I don’t really have a problem with them hyping up the stuff they have the rights too, but it annoys me when a supposed sports news channel won’t even mention major sporting events just because they are shown on a different channel. The Usyk Gassiev fight was shown on ITV box office and there wasn’t a mention of it even though it was between two world class fighters and was being talked about as a potential fight of the year contender. They never mention Josh Taylor who is probably one the biggest up and coming young boxers in the sport (except when he fought a matchroom fighter in Ohara Davies). They rarely mention any boxer that isn’t promoted by Matchroom unless Sky have the rights. If Formula 1 was ever to leave Sky you wouldn’t hear another word about it on any of their channels. Plus now that they have lost La Liga rights you won’t hear anything about that either. 

On 7/29/2018 at 12:48, EdTheDuck said:

You overestimate the Celtic/Rangers worth. The bigotfest has managed a SKY audience of about 800,000 at best afaik and that was some years ago. It is about the same as a top end English Championship game, but comes nowhere near what the EPL routinely gets. For run of the mill games the ugly sisters get 200,000 - 250,000. You can;t use the Glasgow clubs to sell to the big English audiences because the English largely couldn't give a f**k about them beyond the curiosity of the head-to-heads.

Furthermore, if we did managed to rustle up a deal worth £50M I predict that 2 clubs would share about £40M of it with, sadly, the agreement of The Rest.

You can see the viewing figures if you download the excel sheet from an excellent blog done by a Celtic fan:

http://www.thefootballlife.co.uk/post/167136335136/spfl-viewing-figures-201718

English Premiership has 819,000 on average for the 2016-17 season while Scottish Premier League had about 150,000 so about 5.4 times more viewers.  

54 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

They have definitely lost the PGA but I think they still have the other 3 majors. 

I agree with what he’s saying though I’m funding the EPL hype machine by paying my monthly subscription but I wouldn’t want to go without the boxing and golf that they have the rights too. I very rarely watch English football on Sky and they have hardly any SPFL matches apart from the old firm (and I know my team on here says Celtic but I have little interest in that game either).

Sky sports news is nothing but a propaganda machine for everything Sky show, and I don’t really have a problem with them hyping up the stuff they have the rights too, but it annoys me when a supposed sports news channel won’t even mention major sporting events just because they are shown on a different channel. The Usyk Gassiev fight was shown on ITV box office and there wasn’t a mention of it even though it was between two world class fighters and was being talked about as a potential fight of the year contender. They never mention Josh Taylor who is probably one the biggest up and coming young boxers in the sport (except when he fought a matchroom fighter in Ohara Davies). They rarely mention any boxer that isn’t promoted by Matchroom unless Sky have the rights. If Formula 1 was ever to leave Sky you wouldn’t hear another word about it on any of their channels. Plus now that they have lost La Liga rights you won’t hear anything about that either. 

Aye your right about Sky Sports News another one is the Speedway once it moved to BT Sports it hasn't been mentioned again on SSN.

4 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Is there though? City walked the league by 19 points last season and are now odds-on to win it again (can't remember the last time a team was so short). With Pep as manager and the wealth they have, they could dominate for a few seasons.

In the last decade 4 teams have won the league and one of those is widely accepted as being a freak. Arsenal have only come within 10 points of the winner once in that time, Liverpool have probably had 2 genuine challenges and Spurs put the pressure on a couple of times. In any given season there's, at a push, 4 realistic contenders.

Burnley finished best of the rest and they took 1 point from a possible 18 at home to the top 6. The gulf between the big sides and the rest is the biggest I can remember.

If you enjoy watching it then crack on, but you don't need to come on here and parrot all the hype that Sky ram down your throat; 'most competitive league in the world', 'anyone can beat anyone' etc

Reel yer’ neck in. How many clubs have won the Scottish top flight in a quarter of a century? How many clubs have went to Celtic Park and won in recent seasons? How did Aberdeen get on against the big two Glasgow clubs last season?

I explained why I watch English football and not Spanish, German or Italian football. I understand the history, the cities, and I like the people, especially the Geordies and Scousers. I have watched it since the mid 1970s and can enjoy a good game between Liverpool and someone as much as Everton v someone.

Why so argumentative?

14 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Reel yer’ neck in. How many clubs have won the Scottish top flight in a quarter of a century? How many clubs have went to Celtic Park and won in recent seasons? How did Aberdeen get on against the big two Glasgow clubs last season?

I explained why I watch English football and not Spanish, German or Italian football. I understand the history, the cities, and I like the people, especially the Geordies and Scousers. I have watched it since the mid 1970s and can enjoy a good game between Liverpool and someone as much as Everton v someone.

Why so argumentative?

I think we're all aware that our game has been dominated by two sides for far too long, but your post seemed to suggest that the Premier League is much more of a level playing field when, based on the evidence of the last decade, that's a bit of a fallacy.

A total of 18 clubs from the 87 to play in the (English) Football League between 2007-08 and 2011-12 faced either a winding-up petition (12) or went into administration (12). Five faced both

7 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

I think we're all aware that our game has been dominated by two sides for far too long, but your post seemed to suggest that the Premier League is much more of a level playing field when, based on the evidence of the last decade, that's a bit of a fallacy.

Well, it is more level in some ways. Clubs like Newcastle and Everton, West Ham and so on get huge crowds in huge stadiums. Go down the leagues and there’s a big club with a big support in Leeds, Aston Villa... and those big attendances are based on nothing to do with which school you went to, which isn’t the case up here. I happen to support Newcastle , due to their kit being the same as St Mirren’s and I have always enjoyed the city of Newcastle, and its ‘one city one team’ atmosphere.

As I said, my sole interest in Scottish football is St Mirren. I have no interest in watching Hamilton v Motherwell played in a two-sided stadium, nor do I have any interest in Kilmarnock v Dundee, played on an absolutely shite plastic pitch, in front of 4,500 fans. I would however expect Killie and Dundee fans to be very interested in it, as they should be.

If that annoys you, so be it. Roll on the EPL and NFL seasons, and of course, the darling Buddies of Dismay...

17 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

As I said, my sole interest in Scottish football is St Mirren. I have no interest in watching Hamilton v Motherwell played in a two-sided stadium, nor do I have any interest in Kilmarnock v Dundee, played on an absolutely shite plastic pitch, in front of 4,500 fans. I would however expect Killie and Dundee fans to be very interested in it, as they should be.

Fair points and obviously you can watch whatever football takes your fancy. I am the exact opposite though. I would rather watch Hamilton V Motherwell on a shitey plastic pitch in a 2 sided stadium over Arsenal v Chelsea or Man Utd v Liverpool. 

Watching 21 year old football players that make more in a week than most football supporters earn in 2 or 3 years isn’t for me. Add in the sanitised atmosphere with almost every corner or throw in having the crowd sitting videoing the players for some reason,  tourists taking over most of the big English clubs stadiums also. 

I would rather watch a bunch of Hamilton Accies hatchet men making thigh high tackles, scraps all over the pitch and the odd bit of football breaking out. As I said earlier the Edinburgh derby is a proper game of football with more excitement in 10 minutes than you get in a weekend of Sky’s EPL output. 

This.

The EPL is not the best league in the world just the one that's fooled people into thinking it is.

Well, it is more level in some ways. Clubs like Newcastle and Everton, West Ham and so on get huge crowds in huge stadiums. Go down the leagues and there’s a big club with a big support in Leeds, Aston Villa... and those big attendances are based on nothing to do with which school you went to, which isn’t the case up here. I happen to support Newcastle , due to their kit being the same as St Mirren’s and I have always enjoyed the city of Newcastle, and its ‘one city one team’ atmosphere.

If that annoys you, so be it. Roll on the EPL and NFL seasons, and of course, the darling Buddies of Dismay...

“I support Newcastle as their kit is like st mirren”

And with that, I am out.

Archived