The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

I just watched the Reform Party's party election broadcast on STV.

It was quite possibly the shittest thing ever.

It was silent, just a black screen with "Britian is Broken. Britain needs Reform." 

This went on for at least five minutes.

Nothing about what is broken or what can be reformed.

Absolute dog shit. Is that seriously the best that they can do?

19 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It was silent, just a black screen with "Britian is Broken. Britain needs Reform." 

Is it the best they can do ?  Doesn't matter if it is or isn't.  Reform will split the Tory vote and the Tories will take an absolute battering.  #HappyDays

34 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I can see the thinking behind it, people are sick to death of politicians coming on, promising the earth, and doing nothing, every political broadcast is the same, so they've gone in the opposite direction, original if nothing else. IMO.

37 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I can see the thinking behind it, people are sick to death of politicians coming on, promising the earth, and doing nothing, every political broadcast is the same, so they've gone in the opposite direction, original if nothing else. IMO.

He does promise the earth though.

Everything that is wrong is the fault of foreigners - it's simplistic pish.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

'Britain is Broken - Britain needs Reform'

Even the thickest person will understand that, and remember it. Oh, and there's no mention of their hatred of foreigners, blaming and scapegoating of immigrants etc. Why mention them, real as they are, when all your after, is for people to vote for you? No, it doesn't go into their diagnosis or policies or any explanations. People would switch off, wouldn't remember them.

Of course, misleading sharp, memorable slogans is a long-standing far-right tactic.

17 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It’s the sort of message that will appeal to morons.  The sort of folk who don’t want to take any time to think about politics as it might interfere with Coronation Street or Love Island.  The sort of folk who can’t distinguish between opinion and fact.  The British equivalent of Trump supporters.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s the sort of message that will appeal to morons.  

Perhaps - but the most insidious aspect is that, without the party specifics, it's true. Do you think Britain is broken? Yup, me too. Do you think it needs reform? Me also as well.

Of course, our analysis of how and why Britain is broken would be diametrically different from Froggy Fromage's; and perhaps that would be even more true for our assessment of what reforms are needed.

It's evil. But it's clever

17 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Yes it is. They spent all their money on some Tory spiv's dodgy vetting scam and can't afford lighting or sound engineers. 

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

Even the thickest person will understand that, and remember it. Oh, and there's no mention of their hatred of foreigners, blaming and scapegoating of immigrants etc. Why mention them, real as they are, when all your after, is for people to vote for you? No, it doesn't go into their diagnosis or policies or any explanations. People would switch off, wouldn't remember them.

Of course, misleading sharp, memorable slogans is a long-standing far-right tactic.

England Prevails!

32 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Perhaps - but the most insidious aspect is that, without the party specifics, it's true. Do you think Britain is broken? Yup, me too. Do you think it needs reform? Me also as well.

Of course, our analysis of how and why Britain is broken would be diametrically different from Froggy Fromage's; and perhaps that would be even more true for our assessment of what reforms are needed.

Not saying it’s not clever.  After all morons get to vote too.

6 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

22 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Are you one of these sick people and who are the politicians who are doing nothing? 

21 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He does promise the earth though.

Everything that is wrong is the fault of foreigners - it's simplistic pish.

That was pre-campaign. Scare the ones afraid of the smelly people in boats…

6 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Exactly, that’s for the campaign…remove specific references and use phrases that people can associate with how they feel without specifics as to why

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s the sort of message that will appeal to morons.  The sort of folk who don’t want to take any time to think about politics as it might interfere with Coronation Street or Love Island.  The sort of folk who can’t distinguish between opinion and fact.  The British equivalent of Trump supporters.

5 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

The Trump backers aren’t stupid, they’re rich and powerful because they know how to play the simps (note that the simps include Trump, MTG, Gaetz, etc). Trump pitches massive deportations without specifying who and how (lets people choose in their own minds who gets rounded up)…Trump says crime is up (it’s not, but people worried about crime will relate regardless of the facts)…Trump will punish the Chinese with tariffs (ignoring the fact it’s an effective 25% tax increase for the poorest 20%, but people hear punish the Chinese and ignore facts).

Someone behind Reform is reading the polls/results, and is trying to avoid the errors that where made in the U.S. where MAGA is “relatively” weak because they were too specific in the 2016-2022 timeframe to engulf the Republican Party. They missed the first chance to takeover the Republican Party, and as they tried again recently they were turning more voters away with their specific policies, hence the messaging change.

I think Reform learnt from this, and is using big-picture scare tactics and targeting votes now…actual MPs are not as important…as a path to making the Conservatives believe they have to make a deal with Reform going forward.

33 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Can't be bothered with you, a right pompous fart. IMO.

Thank you.

That's a great shame as I'm sure the great p&b public is very interested in allowing you the opportunity to expand on what has hitherto been a view that can at best be regarded as equivocal. This forum is best when a range of views are expressed and I don't think anyone should be fearful of reasonable expression. 

28 minutes ago, sophia said:

That's a great shame as I'm sure the great p&b public is very interested in allowing you the opportunity to expand on what has hitherto been a view that can at best be regarded as equivocal. This forum is best when a range of views are expressed and I don't think anyone should be fearful of reasonable expression. 

I rest my case your honour.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I rest my case your honour.

Thank you.

You haven't made a case, your thoughts such as you have been willing to share, would fit inside a clutch bag. 

Raphael Glucksmann ended up as the most significant figure within the NFP. He was the least ideologically compatible with the broader coalition so gaining his agreement required the most concessions. Glucksmann used to work as advisor to Georgian president Saakashvili, who he later followed to Ukraine and became a minister in Poroshenko's government there. The politics of both Saakashvili and Poroshenko have far more in common with Le Pen than they do with the NFP. Yet since returning to France, Glucksmann has stood on a left-leaning liberal platform.  Anyway, he's now fully committed to the NFP, as he confirms here:

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/opinion/article/2024/06/20/raphael-glucksmann-only-the-left-can-be-the-dam-that-french-democracy-so-badly-needs_6675246_23.html

That's all the pieces assembled. They're polling behind Le Pen's party but not far behind. What will swing it is which side Macron's voters go to in the run-off.