The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

Jeez, is it so hard to have a little understanding? Try to see it from their perspective.

Your name is William. You are a human being, and a proud Glaswegian like half-a-million others. Beyond your control you were born into a shitty family with a shitty dad, who himself was born into a shitty family with a shitty dad. In fact you come from a long line of shitty dads. Your entire genetic lineage is a joke of which you, for the time being at least, are the soggy, botched punchline - until you spurt your lukewarm seed into some unwitting girl's eggsack and the joke lumbers on.

Your world seems to turn slower than everyone else's. You begin to wonder if the conversations your family have around the dinner table are the same as the ones your friends have. You watch your father slurp baked beans into his mouth like a 54 year old baby. You begin to wonder if you will grow up to be like him. You suppress this pain. You, James and Johnboy go up the park most nights to work diligently on your soon-to-be-chronic alcohol problem. This is both a coping mechanism, an informal coming-of-age ceremony, and a group bonding exercise - all it does is exacerbate your steadily blooming anger disorder. Your dad knows, and you know he knows. You want him to intervene. He says nothing.

But every summer your community pulls back the curtains and lets some light in. For you, this is Christmas. You dust off your white shirt. You pick up your drum. And for a precious few glorious hours you get to stand before the world and proclaim "I matter. I am not a joke. I have a voice and I will be heard" as the fat, diabetes-ridden, flushed-red faces of your extended family look on with manic glee. They too are afraid. Together you sing the songs of your fathers. And for this all-too-brief moment, you almost manage to believe. That you are a vital cog in the machine of humanity, and that when you die you will leave a gap in the ranks that cannot be filled. Sadly for you, that's total shite.

Let them march. It's literally all they have.

https://old.reddit.com/r/glasgow/comments/4nkxj4/fuck_the_orange_walk/d44wzuc/

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I don't find poverty that funny its not a life style choice, its a trap which is difficult to get out of that along with poor self worth and confidence and all you do is go around in circles as you get older and any possible routes out to make a better life for yourself vanish along with your health.  Very few are lucky and get an opportunity to escape usually when young but that world described in that reddit is very bleak but for many its all they will know.

Why didn't the writer choose the more well off members of the order and poke fun at them. Ironically the top boys are often from well off and supposedly respectable backgrounds aren't they not?

Any football referees?

There’s literally nothing in the entire piece that mentions economic status whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

I don't find poverty that funny its not a life style choice, its a trap which is difficult to get out of that along with poor self worth and confidence and all you do is go around in circles as you get older and any possible routes out to make a better life for yourself vanish along with your health.  Very few are lucky and get an opportunity to escape usually when young but that world described in that reddit is very bleak but for many its all they will know.

Why didn't the writer choose the more well off members of the order and poke fun at them. Ironically the top boys are often from well off and supposedly respectable backgrounds aren't they not?

Any football referees?

What’s the point in poking fun at people at all?  Doesn’t seem a great way to live, but hey ho.

That was some spot of guerilla warfare we engaged in a few weeks ago 😂

18 hours ago, Snafu said:

Does anyone know of this mysterious verse 6 of God Save The Queen/King which has the line about crushing rebellious Scots?

Others have provided the words of the mysterious verse 6.

In the Holy Bible and Hymnery presented to me when I was conscripted into Sunday school these same words were printed as verse 3 of hymn 293

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you may need to read the post properly.
I really don't. We all know exactly why bigots draped in ludicrous bowler hats wearing a sash march the streets of Scotland no matter how hard the (also bigoted) apologists attempt to dress it up.

6 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I really don't. We all know exactly why bigots draped in ludicrous bowler hats wearing a sash march the streets of Scotland no matter how hard the (also bigoted) apologists attempt to dress it up.

Enlighten me then?  Why do the parades take place?

Try to not come across as a bigot yourself when you explain it too.