Dumbarton v Arbroath.

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Absolutely. We have chucked 2 points away. The subs were awful, we tried to walk the ball into the net just before Dumbarton scored and let’s not forget the stonewall penalty we had turned down that would have seen the boy sent off.

I thought we were as good as Arbroath... Which evidently wasn't that great. Lot is hopeless and Paton wasn't very good either.

What stonewall penalty? Genuinely don't remember anything...

Good to grind that out in the end.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Barr's injury is serious we are humped. Dyer is awful. May as well cut his right leg off.

Football is all about opinions and that's what makes it interesting but I think Willie Dyer has been pretty solid. Yeah he's very one-footed, but he's a League One full-back, most will be. I don't think we can expect much more.

1 minute ago, sonsism said:

Arbroath will be gutted because we did not deserve that.

If Barr's injury is serious we are humped. Dyer is awful. May as well cut his right leg off.

Another substandard performance that was only redeemed by the goal. Could be an extremely valuable point come May but that is still nowhere near good enough if we're supposed to be challenging for promotion.

Got to agree with you.We need to improve our game and TBH under SA i have lost that hope.It won't happen i know but a change in the dugout is needed.

Just now, lorenzo71 said:

Got to agree with you.We need to improve our game and TBH under SA i have lost that hope.It won't happen i know but a change in the dugout is needed.

What can Aitken do differently today? We started well enough in the first 10 mins and then the players seemed to forget how to pass the ball or move off the ball. We played the same formation and virtually the same team as Tuesday. I don't think Aitken can do much else. I would have taken Loy off as opposed to Russell in our 1st change but otherwise he done everything he could today.

Football is all about opinions and that's what makes it interesting but I think Willie Dyer has been pretty solid. Yeah he's very one-footed, but he's a League One full-back, most will be. I don't think we can expect much more.
I don't know how you can watch him today and think that but as you said, all about opinions.

Don't want to seem like a buzzkill because we did get a point but what I saw - apart from the first 20 minutes where we actually looked threatening - was essentially last week's game except Arbroath didn't have someone as clinical as Baird.

Just now, squeezeboxson said:

What can Aitken do differently today? We started well enough in the first 10 mins and then the players seemed to forget how to pass the ball or move off the ball. We played the same formation and virtually the same team as Tuesday. I don't think Aitken can do much else. I would have taken Loy off as opposed to Russell in our 1st change but otherwise he done everything he could today.

Its not just tactics but its the vibe the players get from the manager.TBH i dont think the players are getting confidence from the manager (who still seems to be traumatised by last season)as he likes to shitefest his way to victory instead of winning well.It is only my opinion and may be well off the mark, i accept that, but its the feeling i get.Go a goal up and try not to concede.Its smash and grab stuff.Today  it was Arbroath's turn to do that.We chased the match and got a goal at the end .The man at the helm just does not fill me with confidence thats all.

2 minutes ago, sonsism said:

I don't know how you can watch him today and think that but as you said, all about opinions.

Don't want to seem like a buzzkill because we did get a point but what I saw - apart from the first 20 minutes where we actually looked threatening - was essentially last week's game except Arbroath didn't have someone as clinical as Baird.

That was nowhere near as bad as last week.

1 minute ago, lorenzo71 said:

Its not just tactics but its the vibe the players get from the manager.TBH i dont think the players are getting confidence from the manager (who still seems to be traumatised by last season)as he likes to shitefest his way to victory instead of winning well.It is only my opinion and may be well off the mark, i accept that, but its the feeling i get.Go a goal up and try not to concede.Its smash and grab stuff.Today  it was Arbroath's turn to do that.We chased the match and got a goal at the end .The man at the helm just does not fill me with confidence thats all.

Again, we played very well in the beginning and it seemed like we just forgot how to pass or move off the ball. That isn't down to the management. How we can produce the performance we did on Tuesday but then not do the basics anywhere near well enough today...

7 minutes ago, Big lichtie said:

sorry lads but dicks game management today was utterly baffling cost us the game

No need to apologise. But we all know by now that game management is not a strong aspect of Campbells. Missed out on creating a little gap early doors.

4 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

That was nowhere near as bad as last week.

I disagree.  If Arbroath knew how to shoot they'd have put the game to bed well before our goal.

5 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Again, we played very well in the beginning and it seemed like we just forgot how to pass or move off the ball. That isn't down to the management. How we can produce the performance we did on Tuesday but then not do the basics anywhere near well enough today...

If there's a problem with the players not performing it's up to the manager to fix it.  He doesn't just pick the team then sit and wait to see what happens. Well.. he shouldn't.

28 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Absolutely. We have chucked 2 points away. The subs were awful, we tried to walk the ball into the net just before Dumbarton scored and let’s not forget the stonewall penalty we had turned down that would have seen the boy sent off.

When was the penalty shout? I sit right in line with the box and can't remember ever thinking that we got away with one?

23 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I thought we were as good as Arbroath... Which evidently wasn't that great. Lot is hopeless and Paton wasn't very good either.

What stonewall penalty? Genuinely don't remember anything...

Good to grind that out in the end.

I disagree on Paton. His final ball might not be the best, but he's a busy wee guy who doesn't hide and is capable of flashes of quality. Sure he overplays it, and sure his crossing can be hit or miss, but he was one of our better performers today imo. The fact he looked interested put him ahead of quite a few. Until Forbes came on he looked like our only player capable of creating something

Hutton and Carsy were miles off it. You can normally rely on Hutton to ping a few excellent crossfielders, and Carsy to hammer about getting stuck in. Today neither of them did that. Dyer's distribution was God awful too, and you could tell Bobby Barr hasn't played for Arbroath.

Big ups to Ryan Thomson though. Probably deserved his MOTM anyway, but his block and then tackle on Hester when he was about four yards out lead to us breaking and equalising. 

Just now, sonsism said:

I disagree.  If Arbroath knew how to shoot they'd have put the game to bed well before our goal.

If there's a problem with the players not performing it's up to the manager to fix it.  He doesn't just pick the team then sit and wait to see what happens. Well.. he shouldn't.

Exactly.

1 minute ago, sonsism said:

Yeah if Arbroath had scored another goal the game would have been finished. But more so, they should have been professional and run down the clock by putting the ball in the corner as opposed to pushing and failing for a 2nd goal.

Once the players go out onto the park he can't do much more. They started well so it isn't like they just lacked motivation from the off. 

The penalty shout I presume was the tussle between Adam and the No. 7, which, and I know I'll be in the minority but I thought Adam got away with one there.

Aye the No. 7 has play acted and made a meal of minimal contact but Adam's raised his hands and it'd have surprised me not a jot if that bumbling amateur in the middle had made something of it.

1 minute ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

The penalty shout I presume was the tussle between Adam and the No. 7, which, and I know I'll be in the minority but I thought Adam got away with one there.

Aye the No. 7 has play acted and made a meal of minimal contact but Adam's raised his hands and it'd have surprised me not a jot if that bumbling amateur in the middle had made something of it.

Handbags. There was nothing in it whatsoever - but I agree with your point that the ref was hopeless today.

I don't really think you can be too harsh on either Aitken or the team after that result. As I said before the game, this was the toughest fixture we could've had today; Arbroath's away record is phenomenal. They also have a much more settled side than us, that have been together quite a while and had been firing on all cylinders coming into the game. We got pretty much the starting 11 we wanted (albeit a few strange subs again from Aitken, which, to be fair, paid off).  You just need to look at other results today, particularly Raith's, to see how tough this league will be.

A decent enough result, with a much nicer feeling to equalise in injury time to draw, than be leading and concede. Hopefully that boosts the confidence and morale, as we go to Brechin next week.

(Only real concern for me is the size of the squad, which we were already well aware of before the game.)

Archived