Strikers coming through

Just now, Marshmallo said:

I'm old enough to remember when Hornby was the new Batistuta because he was on the bench twice for a mediocre French outfit. 

Anyone know how the young lad Harper is doing?

Aye well he also wrote that "about a boy" book, they made it into a film with Hugh Grant.

So I don't think he's bothered about your sneering.

14 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Hornby is a good player, big future if managed wisely

He turns 22 this year, time running out for him to learn the senior game.

Think hes only just over 900 senior mins played in his whole career.

I did an all Scottish team on Pro Evo and he got to 83, basically couldn't miss when you put a cross in the box, so I think he is well worth persevering with.

His record at 21's is pretty good too, Aberdeen would be a good chance for him.  Maybe even for 18 months, he needs more than ten games on loan, 50 would give him a better grounding.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

PANIIIC!!!

Not yet, but I've always felt players need a certain amount of senior experience by a certain age or they'll forever be playing catch up with their peers and risk their development a bit.

I don't think hes played enough to understand the game yet, and how many 23/24yo players are going to be allowed a season of inconsistency and poor decisions as they adapt?

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not yet, but I've always felt players need a certain amount of senior experience by a certain age or they'll forever be playing catch up with their peers and risk their development a bit.

I don't think hes played enough to understand the game yet, and how many 23/24yo players are going to be allowed a season of inconsistency and poor decisions as they adapt?

Would agree with this. You have plenty players at big clubs that would rather play development football than actual senior games. There have been players to leave Celtic at 21/22 with no senior football experience. I think many just like to be seen to at a big club, there almost afraid to drop down several divisions as they fear they will be found out rather than take it it as a steep learning curve. 
ETA- this isn't really a dig at Hornby just a general observation of some ‘development’ players.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I did an all Scottish team on Pro Evo and he got to 83, basically couldn't miss when you put a cross in the box, so I think he is well worth persevering with.

I cannot tell if you're being serious.   One of the problems with textual posts.  

18 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Would agree with this. You have plenty players at big clubs that would rather play development football than actual senior games. There have been players to leave Celtic at 21/22 with no senior football experience. I think many just like to be seen to at a big club, there almost afraid to drop down several divisions as they fear they will be found out rather than take it it as a steep learning curve. 
ETA- this isn't really a dig at Hornby just a general observation of some ‘development’ players.

True. Reminds me of a guy Accies got from Manchester United a couple of seasons ago. Think he was about 21. Made zero impression. 

Yeah being serious I do sort of agree.

It seems like 5 minutes ago he was 19 and touted to break into the Everton first team squad. Now, he's at the 21 landmark and still hasn't really cracked it anywhere. He was retrained into a different position (MF -> FW) at 18/19, so perhaps that is a factor, but still.

I suspect he might need to drop a level or simply go somewhere where they'll commit to using him as first choice for a reasonable spell. Aberdeen would probably fit that spec well.

Frustrating as he's really looked the part when I've watched him for the u21s and also in his early games in Belgium.

7 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah being serious I do sort of agree.

It seems like 5 minutes ago he was 19 and touted to break into the Everton first team squad. Now, he's at the 21 landmark and still hasn't really cracked it anywhere. He was retrained into a different position (MF -> FW) at 18/19, so perhaps that is a factor, but still.

I suspect he might need to drop a level or simply go somewhere where they'll commit to using him as first choice for a reasonable spell. Aberdeen would probably fit that spec well.

Frustrating as he's really looked the part when I've watched him for the u21s and also in his early games in Belgium.

I'm not too worried.  Players don't become pish in a few months, he was good enough six months ago for a team in one of the top five leagues in the world to give him a four year deal.  

He isn't playing for them now but that doesn't mean he's shite, just means they have a few strikers and he is lower down the pecking order than the rest of them.

He may or may not make it there but he's shown enough at u21 to indicate he has a chance. Raw but good attributes.

It might be Reims won't work out for him, it might be that level is just a touch too hard for him certainly just now, but sometimes players just need to find their level and settle down and play a bit and you will start to see the best of them.  Hendry is showing that now in Belgium, Gauld too.

Aberdeen to me on paper sounds great, losing Cosgrove so there is a vacancy and the way they play suits a player like him. The only thing is a 4 month loan where he plays 12 games won't do it, he needs a bit longer than that.  He could do quite well, go back to France then be on the bench again. So an 18 month loan might be best but Reims don't really care what's best for him only what's best for them so he'll have to wait and see how things pan out in the summer.

In the meantime I like the sound of that move and it would give us all a good look at him too including Steve Clarke so it would be no bad thing.

8 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Completely serious, he was amazing.  Scored about 300 goals.

....and being excellent on PES2020 means he'll be great for Aberdeen?   

I've seen him enough to see he's another (but a bit better) version of McBurnie.   

Edited by Erih Shtrep

I'm not too worried.  Players don't become pish in a few months, he was good enough six months ago for a team in one of the top five leagues in the world to give him a four year deal.  
He isn't playing for them now but that doesn't mean he's shite, just means they have a few strikers and he is lower down the pecking order than the rest of them.
He may or may not make it there but he's shown enough at u21 to indicate he has a chance. Raw but good attributes.
It might be Reims won't work out for him, it might be that level is just a touch too hard for him certainly just now, but sometimes players just need to find their level and settle down and play a bit and you will start to see the best of them.  Hendry is showing that now in Belgium, Gauld too.
Aberdeen to me on paper sounds great, losing Cosgrove so there is a vacancy and the way they play suits a player like him. The only thing is a 4 month loan where he plays 12 games won't do it, he needs a bit longer than that.  He could do quite well, go back to France then be on the bench again. So an 18 month loan might be best but Reims don't really care what's best for him only what's best for them so he'll have to wait and see how things pan out in the summer.
In the meantime I like the sound of that move and it would give us all a good look at him too including Steve Clarke so it would be no bad thing.
Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with any of that. Just frustrated that he has potential but isn't getting the game time at his current club to realise it.