Hibs vs Aberdeen

Another team claiming to dominate us but not beating us? Quelle fuckin suprise.

Shite to lose a late equaliser, but a draw away to Hibs not the worst result in the world. Sounds like we're still finding our feet with the new team, the return match will be more telling imo.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very poor second half from us in particular but for all the possession and domination they had Hibs created very little. We’re so lacking in creativity it could be a real problem for us in the long term for the season if we don’t get at least one signing in. Too much just hoofing the ball up and hoping for the best.

Said before the game that a draw wouldn’t be the worst result for us and as annoying as the late goal was it’s still true.  Any more than that would have been very undeserved.

Decent result to get a draw away from home when you play as poorly as we did yesterday. As someone said above we desperately need someone in the middle of the park to create. Hopefully  we get that player in this week as we did not look like scoring until Bogdan decided to give us a helping hand. Impressed with number 7 (Horgan?) and Mallon for Hibs.  Both look like they could be great signings form them.

8 hours ago, Green Day said:

Our respective assessments are oddly reminiscent of Lennon and McInnes interviews.

Hide contents

i.e. one realistic and even handed, the other seeing it through rose (red) tinted glasses.

Strange that, eh?

Hmm not sure what to make of that yesterday.

We weren’t great, we allowed hibs to come at us far too much. For me, hibs weaknesses are at the back so it makes more sense to attack them rather than sit in and let them attack us. Particularly in the second half I thought we made it very difficult for ourselves to hold out for the win.

Saying that, for all of hibs attacking intent I thought we did defend well for the most part. They rarely cut us open and the one time they did they scored.

I’m confused as to why Logan didn’t start. If he was fit then stick him in. I’m not a fan of changing the back 4 during a game unless it’s enforced (or it’s clearly not working). Also shay didn’t look entire comfortable playing a left back role for much of that second half.

Decision making in the final third was also poor, we did have opportunities second half to extend the lead if we’d had a bit more composure but frustratingly we passed up those opportunities.

Not a bad point, hibs are a decent side although a little lacking in quality for me in the final third. I suspect they’ll get better though. Horgan in particular was a real threat. The type of player my stomach tightened every time he picked up the ball.

A no. 10 type player this week would be very welcome derek.

7 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

Shite to lose a late equaliser, but a draw away to Hibs not the worst result in the world. Sounds like we're still finding our feet with the new team, the return match will be more telling imo.

Presumably the BBC made up these stats where we have more possession, shots, corners?

Screenshot_2018-08-26-08-40-08.png

Presumably the BBC made up these stats where we have more possession, shots, corners?

Screenshot_2018-08-26-08-40-08.thumb.png.ab6c6fafeacec27e2a1232034da93e6e.png

Doesn't really tell the whole story though, Hibs had a fair few shots from outside the box which never looked like troubling Lewis and Aberdeen weren't trying to attack for the first 40 minutes of the second half. The second half we were inviting the pressure and Hibs didn't really look like they had many ideas until the goal. When you've set out to defend and hold on to a 1-0 win for half the game that's the sort of situation you would expect. I actually thought Aberdeen looked fairly comfortable in that second half until the goal, which was an uncharacteristically poor one for this dons side to concede.

3 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Doesn't really tell the whole story though, Hibs had a fair few shots from outside the box which never looked like troubling Lewis and Aberdeen weren't trying to attack for the first 40 minutes of the second half. The second half we were inviting the pressure and Hibs didn't really look like they had many ideas until the goal. When you've set out to defend and hold on to a 1-0 win for half the game that's the sort of situation you would expect. I actually thought Aberdeen looked fairly comfortable in that second half until the goal, which was an uncharacteristically poor one for this dons side to concede.

I agree with that assessment, however the other lad was saying we "claimed" to dominate the match, as if Hibs fans or Lennon made it up.

As you say, we didn't translate it to goals, but those BBC stats plus overwhelming territorial advantage in 2nd half suggest we did dominate.

Screenshot_2018-08-26-08-40-08.thumb.png.ab6c6fafeacec27e2a1232034da93e6e.png

It seems important to you that Hibs are labelled as dominant yesterday. That says more about you than the dons mate. We shared a point each, that’s all.

8 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It seems important to you that Hibs are labelled as dominant yesterday. That says more about you than the dons mate. We shared a point each, that’s all.

Trump.png.e8cf21e1a99147f4dc29c23baaf0e194.png

Its not important to me in the slightest, was simply responding to RA above - although I guess you knew that already?

Keep up chappy

I'm guessing Hibs were the better team and Aberdeen were anti-football.

Amarite?

Almost.

Hibs wanted to play total football that would’ve delighted home and away fans alike. They would’ve won best show at the fringe had it not been for the fact that another nasty team showed up and prevented them from doing it.

A moral victory for Hibs as usual though.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Almost.

Hibs wanted to play total football that would’ve delighted home and away fans alike. They would’ve won best show at the fringe had it not been for the fact that another nasty team showed up and prevented them from doing it.

A moral victory for Hibs as usual though.

Who won the singing though?

I thought the game was a few weeks too early for both teams. The midfields still looked as though they were learning how to play with each other and lacked threat in the final third. I think the league cup game will be a much better indication of who the better team is, particularly when some key players are back.

Thought Horgan looked really good for us, looking forward to him playing in a balanced midfield with Kamberi up top to get crosses into.

Shaw was good for the first hour then faded slightly. His hold up play is improving every week, he needs to play with another striker but he did well enough yesterday. 

When the teams were announced I’d have  taken a draw so can’t complain. Happy with the point.

I'm guessing Hibs were the better team and Aberdeen were anti-football.

Amarite?

I've noticed a lot of Hibs fans claiming they 'dominated' the game, but I didn't see that at all. They dominated it in the same way as we did in the 2-0 loss at Tynecastle last season. A lot of possession in the opposite half but with very little creativity against a team happy to invite pressure. The one point they did something good they scored.

The Hibs number 10 seemed to fall over at the slightest touch as well which didn't help (not sure if it was diving or if he just didn't have any strength). If I were a Hibs fan I would have been screaming at him to stay on his feet as it stilted the flow of Hibs attacking play.

I think a draw was probably a fair result but from an Aberdeen perspective doing everything right defensively in the second half then switching off with five minutes to go is a frustrating way to drop two points. Particularly as if McInnes had been more intent on attacking I think the game could have been put to bed. Would have enjoyed seeing Wright running at that Hibs defence, pity he was injured.

3 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I've noticed a lot of Hibs fans claiming they 'dominated' the game, but I didn't see that at all. They dominated it in the same way as we did in the 2-0 loss at Tynecastle last season. A lot of possession in the opposite half but with very little creativity against a team happy to invite pressure. The one point they did something good they scored.

The Hibs number 10 seemed to fall over at the slightest touch as well which didn't help (not sure if it was diving or if he just didn't have any strength). If I were a Hibs fan I would have been screaming at him to stay on his feet as it stilted the flow of Hibs attacking play.

I think a draw was probably a fair result but from an Aberdeen perspective doing everything right defensively in the second half then switching off with five minutes to go is a frustrating way to drop two points. Particularly as if McInnes had been more intent on attacking I think the game could have been put to bed. Would have enjoyed seeing Wright running at that Hibs defence, pity he was injured.

Boyle?

Was running your defenders ragged most of the match.

In the second half he had one 30 yard run in which Logan and  then Hoban (or Shinnie) tried to scythe him down, and Dallas booked them both at the subsequent stoppage. 

However, if you see that as "stilting the flow of Hibs attacking play" then you carry on chief.

Boyle?
Was running your defenders ragged most of the match.
In the second half he had one 30 yard run in which Logan and  then Hoban (or Shinnie) tried to scythe him down, and Dallas booked them both at the subsequent stoppage. 
However, if you see that as "stilting the flow of Hibs attacking play" then you carry on chief.

Not bothered at all

Archived