Windfarms - majestic necessities or inefficient monstrosities?

banana

Windfarms - majestic necessities or inefficient monstrosities?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:
2 hours ago, Bandstand said:
Nuclear power plants pump steam into the environment 

Im sure the residents of the Fukushima area of Japan agree with you

An earthquake could potentially see a windfarm cause mass deaths too

It doesnt alter the fact that a properly functioning nuclear power plant emits nothing but steam

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, banana said:

Quite.

A fair bit of virtue-signalling so far, but noone yet answered whether they are willing to cap their power usage to windfarm output, nor have them lining their street or their favourite beauty spots / holiday destinations.

windraeder-rotorsteppen.jpg

Regularly drive through fields of them on my way to Padstow or Fowey on holidays and can see a couple from my house. Don’t mind them at all and think that some designs look quite striking.

I can also see Nuclear and coal stations regularly round where I live.  Neither are too bad. The least scenic bits are the pylons that all types need, and the massive holes in the ground to get coal out.

That’s before considering the potential impact of an unlikely nuclear accident or the impacts of increasing  greenhouse effects.

I am willing to put up with them all to be able to boil the kettle on a windless night, but think that it would be better if policy continues to encourage the less harmful alternatives.

So in answer to your questions, no and yes. 

What do you prefer? Increased use of tar sands and brown coal? 

33 minutes ago, Bandstand said:

It doesnt alter the fact that a properly functioning nuclear power plant emits nothing but steam

I agree with the idea that nuclear power is better than coal for countries who depend on it. Scotland however could easily be zero CO2 producing for energy within 10 years, a goal worth pursuing. The current target I believe is 2020, in 2015 it was 60%, so we're on our way. Doubt any windfarm could more damage than shear a few sheep in an earthquake.

What about nuclear waste? That doesn't just dissappear and leaves a lasting affect on the environment.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, Bandstand said:

What about nuclear waste? That doesn't just dissappear and leaves a lasting affect on the environment.

Funnily enough, it started out in the environment.

5 hours ago, doulikefish said:
5 hours ago, Bandstand said:
Nuclear power plants pump steam into the environment 

Im sure the residents of the Fukushima area of Japan agree with you

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

That’ll explain the ghost town of Pripyat.

FWIW, every nuclear plant in the world combined, all their accidents, meltdowns and radiation leaks, haven't killed as many people as a single coal-fired power station working perfectly throughout its lifetime.

The cost of new nuclear makes it debatable whether we should build more in the UK, but the existing reactors have helped us massively reduce GHG emissions and air pollution.

36 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Get 4 of them in every fitba ground and stick some lights on them. 

North Caledonian League  grounds are windy as f**k and could do with a bit of light after 3pm in the winter. Cracking idea.

8 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

WTF is virtue-signalling? 

I believe that picture is German. And take away the wind farms, it's not a place anyone would want to visit anyway.  We've got a lot more room, mountains ... and most importantly, wind. 

Why not paint them brown and green and make them look like pretty trees? This could be my Dragon's Den moment. 

Good plan. That would make banana even more upset about them. 

In all fairness i dont mind the windfarms it's the electricity pylons i hate think they are more an eyesore than the windfarms.

The other thing yes they might be great for renewable energy but to say they reduce the carbon footprint is in a way nonsense as look at the resources used to make one of them,  I would say it is more cancelling out the other.

Archived