East Fife v Queen of the South - Irn Bru Cup Round 3

King Kebab

5 hours ago, Besty said:

Are you having s laugh ,take Dobbie out if that team and you have absolute cross, no belief ,no shape and Naeidea, what a combination together with the fact he's absolutely dour

'king hell Besty's back.  As if losing to East Fife wasn't enough disappointment for one weekend. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As if losing to East Fife wasn't enough disappointment for one weekend. 

Hope that wasn't meant to be as patronising as it's reading as???

I don't think it was patronising. I imagine you'd be hopeful of your first team seeing of Clyde in a cup game and would be equally disappointed if they didn't manage it.

On 12 September 2018 at 05:10, Fae_the_ said:
When Dobbie comes calling you'll be wishing Dunsmore could've done more. 

I'll get me coat. 

Post-match interview with the man himself!!!

37 minutes ago, landerson1990 said:

Match highlights

Wouldn't play on my pc at all. Got the commentary, but jumped from still photo to still photo a few seconds apart. Played fine on my phone but on a smaller screen so not as easy to see what's going on. Looked like we had a good shout for a penalty for handball and a wee bit unlucky with the goal ruled out too. I don't see that as dangerous play. Lyndon should score when he's in on goal too probably. Cracking goal from Kevin Smith, untidy second from our point of view. Dowds shouldn't beat either goalkeeper or centre half to the ball but does. Hard to tell much about the balance of play from a short video of chances though. Appears we got what we deserved overall. Very disappointing. Competition has opened right up other than County still being in it (and Bohemians if they take it seriously). Good opportunity for the likes of Alloa and East Fife to go deep into the competition.

Edited to add - Good luck to East Fife for the rest of the competition.

That was painful viewing. Embarrassing defending yet again. Why is Mercer not either booting that ball away or knocking it out for a corner? Route 1 can be infuriating but there is a time and a place to boot the ball away and that was it. No idea why he was trying to be cute with an attacking charging at him.

The second is woeful as well. Martin takes the biggest hit there, he has to be taking that. It's maybe just the angle of the camera but going by it could Semple not have claimed the ball in the middle of the park? And could Fordyce not have done a better job of blocking the player?

Either way, awful from us yet again. No wonder Naysmith looks fed up when we continually concede goals due to individual errors.

I thought that was a stonewall penalty. And I also thought the disallowed goal was harsh but I can see why it was disallowed. Dykes needs to be doing better with that chance. Either side of the 'keeper and it's a goal.

Overall, not good viewing.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That was painful viewing. Embarrassing defending yet again. Why is Mercer not either booting that ball away or knocking it out for a corner? Route 1 can be infuriating but there is a time and a place to boot the ball away and that was it. No idea why he was trying to be cute with an attacking charging at him.

The second is woeful as well. Martin takes the biggest hit there, he has to be taking that. It's maybe just the angle of the camera but going by it could Semple not have claimed the ball in the middle of the park? And could Fordyce not have done a better job of blocking the player?

Either way, awful from us yet again. No wonder Naysmith looks fed up when we continually concede goals due to individual errors.

I thought that was a stonewall penalty. And I also thought the disallowed goal was harsh but I can see why it was disallowed. Dykes needs to be doing better with that chance. Either side of the 'keeper and it's a goal.

Yep some awful defending again. When you add in Doyle making an absolute mess of things right at the corner flag in the first half you can see why Naysmith is annoyed. Martin is just awful at the 2nd goal,

We should have had a penalty and the disallowed goal as you say is harsh but TBH I thought East Fife were the better side on the day and deserved their win.

11 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Can't see what's patronising about it,  I'd have put the name of any other team that beat us in that post.  I'm disappointed after any game Queens get beat. If you're not familiar with Besty's posts you are one of the lucky ones,  he's been missing for a while,  or posting under another name,  but he's resurfaced.   I think that I and just about every other Queens fan on here have recognised the fact that there was no fluke in Saturday's result.  

Penalty was one I would have been screaming for but Meggatt knew absolutely nothing about it, however having your boot in the keepers face at 6' off the ground is dangerous play so the right call by the ref.

Think that is the first time in 5 years we have won a game with Barry Cook officiating!

58 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Whilst Mercer should have dealt with it better, that's hardly the first point of criticism in it. We get the ball back and he feeds it to Doyle. Doyle's clearance isn't good enough either and Semple should close Smith down more before he hits it. Never the less, it's a worldy of a finish, right in the top corner. Generally you'd be happy to let the opposition hit from there every time. This one he caught perfectly.

39 minutes ago, LiamA said:

Penalty was one I would have been screaming for but Meggatt knew absolutely nothing about it, however having your boot in the keepers face at 6' off the ground is dangerous play so the right call by the ref.

Meggatt clearly didn't deliberately handle it but he is waving his arm about above head height for no good reason. He's not jumping, it's not for balance. It couldn't really be in a more "unnatural position". Penalty all day long.

The high feet free kick is one of those if it's your keeper you think it's a clear foul (as you do) and if it's your attacker you think it's harsh (as we do). For me your keeper makes a backside of fumbling the original shot and gets lucky. He doesn't recover in time and Dykes, without touching him, lofts the ball back across goal for Dobbie to score (and he runs past about 6 or 7 players from both sides to get there first, very sharp to the see what's going to happen). If it had been the other way round I'd have been hoping for a free kick desperately rather than expecting one.

Meggatt clearly didn't deliberately handle it but he is waving his arm about above head height for no good reason. He's not jumping, it's not for balance. It couldn't really be in a more "unnatural position". Penalty all day long.
The high feet free kick is one of those if it's your keeper you think it's a clear foul (as you do) and if it's your attacker you think it's harsh (as we do). For me your keeper makes a backside of fumbling the original shot and gets lucky. He doesn't recover in time and Dykes, without touching him, lofts the ball back across goal for Dobbie to score (and he runs past about 6 or 7 players from both sides to get there first, very sharp to the see what's going to happen). If it had been the other way round I'd have been hoping for a free kick desperately rather than expecting one.
Doyle's clearance was indeed poor but look at it again; it's not the best of passes to him. He isn't able to get into a good enough position to hit it further as it's come at him from a very short distance. He takes some of the blame but if Mercer boots it rather than trying to be fancy then we never get to that position anyway.

All about opinions. You say the keeper fumbles the first shot I think it was a terrific save. The whistle can clearly be heard before Dobbie gets to the ball so IMO our players stopped allowing Dobbie to run past them! 

That last bit is tongue in cheek btw!

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Doyle's clearance was indeed poor but look at it again; it's not the best of passes to him. He isn't able to get into a good enough position to hit it further as it's come at him from a very short distance. He takes some of the blame but if Mercer boots it rather than trying to be fancy then we never get to that position anyway.

It's not the best of passes but he has an easy option to stick it in the stand too. You can't criticise one player for it and not the other. As I said though, it's easy to pick faults in any goal. You could also argue Semple isn't anywhere near close enough to Smith but at the end of the day it's a great strike in much the same way as Dobbie got three crackers against Alloa but I'm sure the Alloa fans would say their defenders didn't react quickly enough to loose balls or get tight enough.

1 hour ago, LiamA said:

All about opinions. You say the keeper fumbles the first shot I think it was a terrific save. The whistle can clearly be heard before Dobbie gets to the ball so IMO our players stopped allowing Dobbie to run past them! 

That last bit is tongue in cheek btw!

I watched it without sound to be fair as I was in the office! I didn't think it was a great save. It certainly wasn't right in the corner and I think he could maybe have done better than fumble it out towards Dykes. I'll watch it again later though. I couldn't make the game and you often get an entirely different perspective from camera footage. I imagine we'll have footage from a different angle and probably an in goal camera at some point. To be fair to your keeper, he doesn't especially claim for a foul either, and he doesn't pretend he's been touched when he wasn't.

Good luck in the next round. Regardless of the nit picking re penalty and disallowed goal, the word is we got what we deserved so fair play to East Fife and particularly ex-Queens players Kevin Smith and Pat Slattery, both good guys.

Can't see what's patronising about it,  I'd have put the name of any other team that beat us in that post.  I'm disappointed after any game Queens get beat. If you're not familiar with Besty's posts you are one of the lucky ones,  he's been missing for a while,  or posting under another name,  but he's resurfaced.   I think that I and just about every other Queens fan on here have recognised the fact that there was no fluke in Saturday's result.  

Fair do's!!![emoji1303]

But please remember we've had to suffer Raith fans for the last couple of years and their continual "we're a 'big' team schtick and how they shouldn't be in League One, how they are above us/it all, how they are so much better than everybody and how everybody should just give them the points as it is the least they deserve and all that shite, it wears you down eventually so apologies for jumping on that!!!

Tbh I thought it was a penalty, if you're a fan of the "these things even out" routine that could make up for the undeserved late penalty that Raith equalised against us with, only one person in the ground thought that was a pen at the time and unfortunately that was the guy with the whistle, but personally I think we got away with one there, as for the disallowed goal, definite foul imho and play had stopped well before Dobbie had even reached it!!!

Look on the bright side, at least you kept the "true" top scorer in Europe quiet and increased (nearly doubled) his minutes per goal ratio!!![emoji6]

Keep the faith with GN, he's a good manager and will get you out of this slump and if backed by your board will take you forward, no offence but he will manage at a higher level than QotS eventually, make the most of him while you have him!!!

On the whole GN thing. I never realised he was so well thought of at Bayview (or whatever the feck it's called these days). From the outside looking in, he left you around mid to bottom of the table if I recall and after he left you started shooting up the league.

He may well manage at a higher level and tbf to him he hasn't got the greatest of resources at his disposal just now. But I can't see any clubs bigger than us approaching his just now. I'm very much on the fence with him just now but he does appear to be a really nice guy if nothing else.

On the whole GN thing. I never realised he was so well thought of at Bayview (or whatever the feck it's called these days). From the outside looking in, he left you around mid to bottom of the table if I recall and after he left you started shooting up the league.

He may well manage at a higher level and tbf to him he hasn't got the greatest of resources at his disposal just now. But I can't see any clubs bigger than us approaching his just now. I'm very much on the fence with him just now but he does appear to be a really nice guy if nothing else.

It's still the "New/Nou Bayview"!!![emoji6]

We were in the bottom half when we left yes, but we were suffering from a lot of injuries to a very small playing squad (around 15/16) but once they cleared up we did start moving up the League and just missed out on the play-offs!!!

But you have to also remember he was still playing when he left, so when he went to yourselves we didn't just lose our manager we lost the best LB in the lower Leagues and that was a BIG miss for us. I would be quite confident in saying that had he stayed we would have reached them, anything after that would have been a lottery of at least a couple of "cup-tie" like games!!!

When the Euro-Millions win comes in his statue will be built outside the ground don't worry!!![emoji6]

Archived