St Johnstone players overlooked by Scotland

ExiledSaint

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Has anyone ever suggested those players would've improved the national team?

Well they've asked for them to be called up. What's the point in calling any player up unless it improves the national team? Wee day out for Frazer Wright to Moldova because he's been such a good boi?

7 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Who asked for Simon Lappin to be called up and when?

I think you know the answer already to that but there are a few on that list that at one point saints fans were pipping for a call up at one point. None of whom were good enough really.

Edited by gannonball

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Who asked for Simon Lappin to be called up and when?

St. Mirren fans did years ago.

The point, that you are either wilfully ignoring or just unable to grasp, is this entire thread is about St. Johnstone players being overlooked for international football with Scotland. On the face of it, with the recent "success" (subjectively) of St. Johnstone there is an argument to be had as to why St. Johnstone players have been overlooked over players playing in England's third tier or even our own 2nd tier.

On further examination, however, it's clearly because the majority of the players St. Johnstone have based this good period in their history on have been average players who do not warrant a place in the Scotland squad.  Although some players such as Foster, for instance, would do an adequate job filling in for a game or two if injuries and suspension hit us hard in certain areas, none of them would improve the squad and few have ever looked like they had the potential to do so either.

41 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

In those five years the following players have made 30+ appearances for St. Johnstone in a season:
Brian Easton
Stevie May
David Wotherspoon
Gary McDonald
Chris Miller
Steven Anderson
Frazer Wright
Dave Mackay
Simon Lappin
Michael O'Halloran
Blair Alston
Danny Swanson
Richard Foster
Chris Kane
Liam Craig

Which of those players would have improved the national team?

Hide contents

The correct answer is f**k all.

Is it at all possible that St. Johnstone are a team that works on having workmanlike, but not exceptional, players who do well as a cohesive unit headed by good coaching and management that makes them difficult to beat rather than a club that produces players able to step up to international standard?

Foster, Mackay, O'Halloran and May all would've been capped if they'd played as well for Aberdeen as they did for us.

That's the point I'm making.

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

What about Gary McDonald? You're purposefully missing the point and I am failing to understand why. Can you explain?

Sure. You claimed that Saints fans called for Simon Lappin to be capped by Scotland. We've now agreed that you are a liar. I'm merely trying to establish how much of a liar you are. Clear enough?

Edited by Tibbermoresaint
Punctuation

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Foster, Mackay, O'Halloran and May all would've been capped if they'd played as well for Aberdeen as they did for us.

That's the point I'm making.

Possibly. But can give you examples of Aberdeen players of similar quality who have been capped in those five years?

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Sure. You claimed that Saints fans called for Simon Lappin to be capped by Scotland.

I never. The only thing we're agreed on is that your reading comprehension is terrible

8 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Which ones? And when?

40 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Stevie May
Dave Mackay

Michael O'Halloran

Danny Swanson
Richard Foster

Which of those players would have improved the national team?

Reveal hidden contents

The correct answer is f**k all.

Off the top of my head there the ones that I can remember being touted at some point. Some more isolated shouts than others, the most recent example being that (Foster) where  hilariously it seems to be more him and his bird.

The only one I would have said had some merit at the time was May. Like the rest of them though the shouts for them have been proven wrong as none have gone on to bigger or better things, however his would have to be put down to injury as the player I see now is an absolute shadow of what he was despite being in only his mid 20’s.

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Possibly. But can give you examples of Aberdeen players of similar quality who have been capped in those five years?

Michael Devlin, GMS and Kenny McLean all spring to mind. May scored over 20 goals and O'Halloran tore the league apart for six months.

I'm not saying they should've been starting. I'm not claiming Mackay/Foster would be a better option than Hutton.

I'm saying that players in form at St Johnstone won't be called up, but players in form at "bigger clubs", at the same level, will be.

1 minute ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

"They've asked for them to be called up" is fairly unequivocal.

Any more lies you want to share with us?

"Them" as in the collective. As in "St. Johnstone players." specifically aimed at RandomGuy's salient point at St. Johnstone's league position in the last half decade.

If you want to nitpick go ahead. You know you specifically took what I said out of context and I can't fathom why.

3 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

"Them" as in the collective. As in "St. Johnstone players." specifically aimed at RandomGuy's salient point at St. Johnstone's league position in the last half decade.

That was to point out that St Johnstone players in form aren't doing it at a lower level or anything than an Aberdeen player.

To combat the "aye but saints are bottom half dross" type comments.

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

May’s been found out at Aberdeen.

He obliterated all three ligaments in his knee, and that was in his favoured right leg.

I'm surprised he's still playing at all.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No I've not.

You were using the fact that sides like Dunfermline claim bigger crowds than St Johnstone, as evidence of why St Johnstone players shouldn't get capped.  Otherwise, why mention it on this thread?

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not making a case for calling up particular St Johnstone players at all, so I don't know why you're telling me all of the above.

What I am doing Is challenging the view that how many people watch home matches of given clubs, should be some sort of selection criterion.

I don't think you've read the thread properly tbh, absolutely no one is advocating that players should be called up based on crowd sizes. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Michael Devlin, GMS and Kenny McLean all spring to mind. May scored over 20 goals and O'Halloran tore the league apart for six months.

I'm not saying they should've been starting. I'm not claiming Mackay/Foster would be a better option than Hutton.

I'm saying that players in form at St Johnstone won't be called up, but players in form at "bigger clubs", at the same level, will be.

Hmmm... not too sure about this now I've looked at it a bit deeper.

Using the same criteria (30+ games in the last five seasons) here's Aberdeen potential caps...

Graeme Shinnie  
Scott McKenna  
Kenny McLean 
Andrew Considine
Mark Reynolds  
Ryan Jack  
Peter Pawlett  
David Goodwillie 
Jamie Langfield
Russell Anderson

Now Goodwillie and Anderson had been previously capped but weren't in this time period. Of the rest only Shinnie, McKenna and McLean got capped while at Aberdeen. Shinnie and McKenna only got capped this year (Shinnie, especially, has only been capped when there's been a large number of call offs)

Basically the only Aberdeen player to be capped by Scotland you could argue against as would be Kenny McLean who is still streets ahead of any St. Johnstone midfielder in the same period.