St Johnstone players overlooked by Scotland

ExiledSaint

The chip on the shoulder St Johnstone fans have because nobody gives a toss about them shitfesting a few high league positions in the last few years is hilarious.

Imagine being so no-mark that you have to try and fabricate a rivalry with such “perennially shite” clubs.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Not managed as well on and off the pitch, still a bigger club though by having far more fans for me. I appreciate its not the only indication though but the main one imo.

So that's the basis on which people should be awarded caps?  On how many fans watch their club?

Clearly a mistake to cap Ryan Fraser then.

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

The chip on the shoulder St Johnstone fans have because nobody gives a toss about them shitfesting a few high league positions in the last few years is hilarious.

Imagine being so no-mark that you have to try and fabricate a rivalry with such “perennially shite” clubs.

"Rather lose playing like Partick than win like St Johnstone", IMO.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So that's the basis on which people should be awarded caps?  On how many fans watch their club?

Clearly a mistake to cap Ryan Fraser then.

No but I think what level you are playing at and the pressure you play under weekly are significant factors. Kenny Mclean for instance was one of the better players in our top league recent years but when he got picked for Scotland he looked like he won a competition to play. I can understand why Mcleish has chosen the likes of Bain and Hendry for replacements instead of other players who haven’t really ever played at this level. They may have gotten a chance if it was a friendly but calling up more  proven players who are familiar with the team for must win games is understandable.

Edited by gannonball

30 minutes ago, gannonball said:

No but I think what level you are playing at and the pressure you play under weekly are significant factors. Kenny Mclean for instance was one of the better players in our top league recent years but when he got picked for Scotland he looked like he won a competition to play. I can understand why Mcleish has chosen the likes of Bain and Hendry for replacements instead of other players who haven’t really ever played at this level. They may have gotten a chance if it was a friendly but calling up more  proven players who are familiar with the team for must win games is understandable.

So you're argument is basically that players shouldn't be picked for big games if they've not been picked before.

The crowd wanking subtext to what you're struggling to articulate, is most unbecoming.

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

To be rival you'd need to play us m8.

If that’s your logic, then why are you posting about other clubs in here, and why are St Johnstone fans all over other clubs’ match threads?

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

"Rather lose playing like Partick than win like St Johnstone", IMO.

Yeah, a quote from one random weapon on a club forum is an entirely reasonable thing to still be beeling about four years later.

On 16/11/2018 at 23:25, RandomGuy. said:

Neither did I. Was making that point that once hes inevitably moved to the Championship, due to the amount of scouts and his performances, he'll be called up straight away.

As they should. Once they start getting tested at a higher level and continue the same form then they can be considered. It’s basically how football works, better club in better league->more difficult opponents->consistently tested at higher level, call-ups follow.

On 16/11/2018 at 20:51, RandomGuy. said:

If you "don't give a f**k", why not just ignore the thread, instead of quoting me all over the shop and red dotting every post to try and get my attention.

Bizarre behaviour, which just extends this whole discussion. 

He’s a very strange guy. Absolutely rattled by the success of our great behemoth. Quite pleasing to witness the demise of his pishy wee club if I’m honest. 

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We could I suppose. 

I'd rather do it on how good they are at football though tbh. I can fully understand why Mccleish had called Bain up instead of Clark, he played well previously in the friendly so Mccleish, in a must win game will feel safer if he has to call upon him, maybe he felt McDonald with more experience would be a good player to have around the squad? Maybe he's an absolute #bantermerchant? Who knows but it's such a minor decision that who really cares. 

St Johnstone fans have said multiple times that Clark wasn't at fault for their drubbing by Celtic and that it was more the fault of the defence infront of him parting like the red sea, in which case why would the backroom staff want to call up two of the four defenders from that game? If they watched that game then there's no chance they'd fancy giving Kerr or Foster a call up, which brings us onto to...

St Johnstone have received a bit of a pumping from both sides of the old firm over the past couple of months and it's that standard of player that they're more likely to face at international level, any St Johnstone player not excelling in those games is going to struggle to get into the side. 

You could argue that there's a few Livingston players who are more deserving of call ups. Either way with the result last night McCleish will feel vindicated in his decision. 

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

We could I suppose. 

I'd rather do it on how good they are at football though tbh. I can fully understand why Mccleish had called Bain up instead of Clark, he played well previously in the friendly so Mccleish, in a must win game will feel safer if he has to call upon him, maybe he felt McDonald with more experience would be a good player to have around the squad? Maybe he's an absolute #bantermerchant? Who knows but it's such a minor decision that who really cares. 

St Johnstone fans have said multiple times that Clark wasn't at fault for their drubbing by Celtic and that it was more the fault of the defence infront of him parting like the red sea, in which case why would the backroom staff want to call up two of the four defenders from that game? If they watched that game then there's no chance they'd fancy giving Kerr or Foster a call up, which brings us onto to...

St Johnstone have received a bit of a pumping from both sides of the old firm over the past couple of months and it's that standard of player that they're more likely to face at international level, any St Johnstone player not excelling in those games is going to struggle to get into the side. 

You could argue that there's a few Livingston players who are more deserving of call ups. Either way with the result last night McCleish will feel vindicated in his decision. 

I'm not making a case for calling up particular St Johnstone players at all, so I don't know why you're telling me all of the above.

What I am doing Is challenging the view that how many people watch home matches of given clubs, should be some sort of selection criterion.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So you're argument is basically that players shouldn't be picked for big games if they've not been picked before.

The crowd wanking subtext to what you're struggling to articulate, is most unbecoming.

It was you that somehow related crowd sizes to whether players are called up ffs :lol:

I was simply saying Dunfermline are a bigger club than Saint Johnstone and you have misread the thread and made a c*nt of it.

Unbecoming indeed.

Edited by gannonball

28 minutes ago, gannonball said:

It was you that somehow related crowd sizes to whether players are called up ffs :lol:

I was simply saying Dunfermline are a bigger club than Saint Johnstone and you have misread the thread and made a c*nt of it.

Unbecoming indeed.

No I've not.

You were using the fact that sides like Dunfermline claim bigger crowds than St Johnstone, as evidence of why St Johnstone players shouldn't get capped.  Otherwise, why mention it on this thread?

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No I've not.

You were using the fact that sides like Dunfermline claim bigger crowds than St Johnstone, as evidence of why St Johnstone players shouldn't get capped.  Otherwise, why mention it on this thread?

Except thats not what happened:

19 hours ago, tree house tam said:

He's a Dunfermline fan, what the f**k would he know about football?

16 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Dunfermline are a bigger and better club than St Johnstone and it's not even close. 

15 hours ago, gannonball said:

Do Dunfermline not get like nearly double the amount of fans for home games than St. Johnstone despite being in a league below?

Thats how dunfermline came in to conversation. You are literally trying to start an argument thats not even there.

Although I am in favour of calling up Ryan Williamson instead of Jason Kerr just for the bantz.

Edited by gannonball

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:27, RandomGuy. said:

It's worth mentioning that in the past five years only Aberdeen and Celtic have more top flight points than St Johnstone, and 4th placed isn't even close. 

This isn't me moaning about some relegation threatened/yo-yo team getting no call ups, this is a team who've, easily, been the third best in the country for half a decade, with a predominantly Scottish team, and only have one minute of International football to show for it.

In those five years the following players have made 30+ appearances for St. Johnstone in a season:
Brian Easton
Stevie May
David Wotherspoon
Gary McDonald
Chris Miller
Steven Anderson
Frazer Wright
Dave Mackay
Simon Lappin
Michael O'Halloran
Blair Alston
Danny Swanson
Richard Foster
Chris Kane
Liam Craig

Which of those players would have improved the national team?

The correct answer is f**k all.

Is it at all possible that St. Johnstone are a team that works on having workmanlike, but not exceptional, players who do well as a cohesive unit headed by good coaching and management that makes them difficult to beat rather than a club that produces players able to step up to international standard?

18 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

In those five years the following players have made 30+ appearances for St. Johnstone in a season:
Brian Easton
Stevie May
David Wotherspoon
Gary McDonald
Chris Miller
Steven Anderson
Frazer Wright
Dave Mackay
Simon Lappin
Michael O'Halloran
Blair Alston
Danny Swanson
Richard Foster
Chris Kane
Liam Craig

Which of those players would have improved the national team?

Reveal hidden contents

The correct answer is f**k all.

Has anyone ever suggested those players would've improved the national team?