The 2018 Autumn Conservative and Unionist Party Conference

John Lambies Doos

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I see an interview from the Tory conference I hate them a bit more. Why do ordinary people vote for them?

Why do people rattle between Tories and Labour? Shite state of affairs.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Every time I see an interview from the Tory conference I hate them a bit more. Why do ordinary people vote for them?

Because they don't want to be "ordinary". The party promises them that they can get ahead of the pack if they work hard enough. So they choose to believe that.

Whoever convinced May to do that entrance is a Johnson or Rees Mogg supporter; it will be used to parody her up to and following her removal from office.
The next SNP political broadcast could be that entrance on a loop.*

* Though we do devote ours to policy.

No chance. Tories will lap that up. She’s already had the piss ripped out her by others for her dance moves. She’ll get good headlines for showing she doesn’t take herself too seriously. Probably a wise move from her team.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

No chance. Tories will lap that up. She’s already had the piss ripped out her by others for her dance moves. She’ll get good headlines for showing she doesn’t take herself too seriously. Probably a wise move from her team.

Sadly, this is what modern politics has become. It's a competition to see who can be the most outrageous. Because sensible politicians with a sensible plan and a sensible set of policies is boring.

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Maybe also a pisstake of Boris's supposed showman crowdpulling reputation.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

That's how I took it as well. Opponents are predictably going on about how much of a disaster it was but I don't buy that at all.

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Mainly house prices.

Lots of people in England have became extremely wealthy due to the housing crisis. And there are just as many people waiting for them to kick the bucket so they can inherit that wealth tax free.

The money released from those house is then invested into BTL properties which create an income stream and increase in price themselves.

Sadly, this is what modern politics has become. It's a competition to see who can be the most outrageous. Because sensible politicians with a sensible plan and a sensible set of policies is boring.

Sensible isn’t in any sense a neutral term though. I would view what Labour were proposing last year as sensible policies but you would’ve thought the gulags were coming with the Great Leap Forward if you read most of the media.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Sensible isn’t in any sense a neutral term though. I would view what Labour were proposing last year as sensible policies but you would’ve thought the gulags were coming with the Great Leap Forward if you read most of the media.

I read the Labour manifesto. As nice as many of these policies came across, I was constantly asking myself how on earth they would actually implement them. Asking Labour politicians and supporters what they thought, didn't provide any credible answers.

The best thing about being the opposition party is that you can pretty much promise anything you want when you know you're not going to be back in government again for quite some time.

17 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

It's been a genius move by May. All folk are talking about is that she danced like a clown, barely any mention of her policies or other announcements.

18 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

The really sad thing is that there's teams of analysts, psychologists and advisers who cynically create an image which their research shows will achieve the best ratings. Forget policies or pledges, it's all about marketing..............

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The really sad thing is that there's teams of analysts, psychologists and advisers who cynically create an image which their research shows will achieve the best ratings. Forget policies or pledges, it's all about marketing..............

That's why we have a considerable increase in political slogans and the overuse of them. Psychologists have found that if something is repeated enough times over and over again, eventually people will echo it, without considering whether what they're saying is actually credible or not.

Archived