Ayr Utd vs Dundee Utd

Good game, Shankland and McDaid could have had hat-tricks within 20min of their respective starts.  

Dundee United looked dreadful in defence, McMullen looks a decent player, Fyvie played the midfield nuisance roll well but couldn't do anything creative  and despite a 20min spell after half time offered very going forward. 

Kerr, Adams and Bell were outstanding, we made plenty of mistakes that could have cost us against other teams on other days.  A draw or win away to Ross County would be a phenomenal result and an end to a great first quarter. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 1nickydevlin said:

No chance Dundee Utd brought 700

Is this the best ayr team in 30 years ?I definitely think so.love it

The 98/99 team still shades it or me.  Hurst, Teale and Walker.  Back in the days of 10 team SPL, so unbelievably, the Championship was even more cut throat than it is now.  Hibs spent crazy money that year.  Sauzee and Latapy must have been on at least 5k a week.

I’d have said out four best players were Kerr, Adams, Bell and ... wait for it ... Andy Geggan. Funny that considering all 4 were written off as past it by other fans.

Think McDaid has probably done enough to warrant a starting spot now so I’d maybe have him in for the trip to Dingwall but apart from that I’d be happy with the same line up.

Noticed a Dundee United fan getting put out by about five stewards, kind of bizarre to see, not as bizarre as the steward landing a flying jab on an Airdrie fan a few years ago though. 
Any idea what it was for?

The punch? I’d guess it’s cause it was an Airdrie fan.

5 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Was that the bloke in the high viz jacket that kept getting in the way?!?

Well... yes, but they get priority and his camera would naturally lend him to standing in my way.  It was a difficult day due to the bright sunlight/shadow so I missed McDaid's shot hitting the crossbar (I assume?) and very nearly his goal. Flat overcast skies make it easier for me, but would we be getting 2500+ crowds? I'll take the crowds!

13 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Most of it's been covered but I thought Kerr was a level above today.

He certainly was. After the 2nd goal I thought we were going for the killer pass a bit quick, but that's what has been doing it for us this season - some fairly staid centre halfs are getting turned around.

There was hardly many large gaps in terracing i noticed.   Behind goal was packed and so was along edge of pitch, previously its either one or the other.
Are clubs taxed on official attendances...

There are 1,500 seats there, and we filled out our corner too.

Agree definitely felt and looked a good bit more. Something not quite right IMO

The 98/99 team still shades it or me.  Hurst, Teale and Walker.  Back in the days of 10 team SPL, so unbelievably, the Championship was even more cut throat than it is now.  Hibs spent crazy money that year.  Sauzee and Latapy must have been on at least 5k a week.

That team shades the quality for me but this team is my favourite given its put together on a fraction of the late 90s

My word Dundee United are Jobby

We weren't particularly good today to be fair and still strolled it. Dundee United could've played for a week and not score.

Mark Kerr was simply exceptional. Ran the show in the middle of the park. Pleasing Steven Bell got the sponsors man of the match. I was worried pre season having to rely on him but he's proved me wrong.

Wee Ayr United eh, team playing with midfielders in centre defense and top of the league. Pleasing

Totally agree re Kerr, guy strolled it today

2 hours ago, wuffster said:

He certainly was. After the 2nd goal I thought we were going for the killer pass a bit quick, but that's what has been doing it for us this season - some fairly staid centre halfs are getting turned around.

A bit more composure and we would have been out of sight, I didn't think we were at our best but we cruised to a 2 nil victory against a side with a budget we can only dream of.

We have played better but we were comfortable enough. Mark Kerr was magnificent, completely strolled the midfield. Should have scored a couple more but can't be too picky.
Also agree that there seemed around 3 thousand at the game, was surprised at official attendance

6 hours ago, Thumper said:

Definite handball at any rate.

Fifteen points off the danger zone eight games in. Eight points of buffer in the playoffs. Fucking magnificent.

Yeah, was a handball for sure. Having watched it back a few times, I think Aitken got it right. Harvies reaction gives it away, I missed that at the time.

As you say, 15 points clear of the bottom two and comfortably in the top 4. Its unreal actually. Long may it continue...

Archived