The Stephen Dobbie Fan Club

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What good did that do?
It makes your point redundant somewhat.

FWIW I highly doubt Dobbie would get a call up now anyway but it's more to do with his age rather than the division he's playing in. Especially considering that he could still easily do a job in our top flight.

It makes your point redundant somewhat.

FWIW I highly doubt Dobbie would get a call up now anyway but it's more to do with his age rather than the division he's playing in. Especially considering that he could still easily do a job in our top flight.

It really doesn’t.

It probably comes down to this question - do you think Dobbie is currently a better player than Stevie Naismith?

Why has everyone convinced themselves that pkayers getting picked from Hearts (Romped it in their one season), Hibs and Rangers* is the same as picking someone from Queens and Ayr United?

Its not. And if anyone wants to argue that point, just have a good think about whether Ian Black was ever good enough in the first place. 

7 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

It’s higher than the Championship mate.

Shouldn't selection be determined by a number of factors including form. Players might be playing at a higher level but if there not on form then shouldn't that go against them to a point. Yes Dobbie and Shankland are in the second tier of Scottish football, but they are both at professional outfits and they are the form strikers in the country. Dobbie has played at the top level of domestic football in the UK, has played in a fair few Premiership Play-off games down south and is currently "the most lethal striker in Europe". His age and the level he plays at certainly plays against him however he is a natural goal scorer, left or right footed. He will have a higher calibre of player behind him in a Scotland set up which should, in theory, offer better service than at domestic level. If he not the right player then fine but I, and many others it seems, think he at least deserves a call up to the Scotland set up. 

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why has everyone convinced themselves that pkayers getting picked from Hearts (Romped it in their one season), Hibs and Rangers* is the same as picking someone from Queens and Ayr United?

Its not. And if anyone wants to argue that point, just have a good think about whether Ian Black was ever good enough in the first place. 

You stated that players from the Championship getting picked was “fantasy land stuff”. Clearly it isn’t what with 6 players in the last few seasons being picked.

I’m not advocating Dobbie or Shankland getting called up, just pointing out that - as usual - you’re talking fucking shite.

You stated that players from the Championship getting picked was “fantasy land stuff”. Clearly it isn’t what with 6 players in the last few seasons being picked.
I’m not advocating Dobbie or Shankland getting called up, just pointing out that - as usual - you’re talking fucking shite.
Dear me. Sorry I didnt add the caveat that if you play for one of the "big teams" you will get preferential treatment. Thought that would have been assumed by most.

I see you are upset though. As you were.

It really doesn’t.

It probably comes down to this question - do you think Dobbie is currently a better player than Stevie Naismith?
Better at what? I haven't seen Naismith play for a very long time but I expect he still does his fair share of running when not in possession? On that front he will be comfortably better. One on one with a 'keeper/making a goal from nothing - I think I'd have them pretty level tbh.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Hey, steady now... your team is bottom of the league and we're top you cheeky scamp. 

3gsM.gif

Hey, steady now... your team is bottom of the league and we're top you cheeky scamp. 

3gsM.gif.27c1fc2cda934791e2e002674478d3f3.gif
Lol. Dece gif tbf. I am doing my best here. I havent said anything disrespectful about either player. Just pointing out that the Scotland stuff is nonsense and arguing about it cheapens what they are acheiving at their level IMO.

Better at what? I haven't seen Naismith play for a very long time but I expect he still does his fair share of running when not in possession? On that front he will be comfortably better. One on one with a 'keeper/making a goal from nothing - I think I'd have them pretty level tbh.

Ok.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Dear me. Sorry I didnt add the caveat that if you play for one of the "big teams" you will get preferential treatment. Thought that would have been assumed by most.

I see you are upset though. As you were.

So you were okay with those players being picked while they were in the lower leagues? But it’s “fantasy land stuff” for it to happen now?

If you play in Championship then you’re being tested against the exact same standard of opposition every week regardless of how big your club is.

14 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

It really doesn’t.

Heart absolutely - Head . . . maybe, maybe not. 

In the Scotland squad as far as I'm aware the options are 

Stevie Naismith

Oli McBurnie

Jonny Russel

I think Dobbie could mix it with them, despite his age. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Would a friendly with Shankland and Dobbie up front really be such a bad idea? Our national team is utter horseshit and when you get our supposed best players refusing to travel because they "want to work on their fitness" I would be more than happy giving different players a shot.

We've been dreadful for years so it's not as if we would be any worse off giving alternative players a game.

Wait - you're not at the wind up are you? This is a serious suggestion? 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Lol. Dece gif tbf. I am doing my best here. I havent said anything disrespectful about either player. Just pointing out that the Scotland stuff is nonsense and arguing about it cheapens what they are acheiving at their level IMO.

Thanks, I don't necessarily disagree but there is past precedent for Championship players as you say though it's probably the "bigger team" bias.

Anyway back to the topic... can anyone join this fan club and can I pay by direct debit?

So you were okay with those players being picked while they were in the lower leagues? But it’s “fantasy land stuff” for it to happen now?
If you play in Championship then you’re being tested against the exact same standard of opposition every week regardless of how big your club is.
No I wasnt ok with it as it only happened because of who they were and who they played for. Look, I have said in this thread I like Dobbie. If you really want my opinion on him in international football, I think he would be kept pretty quiet. But tbh I dont think its fair to him to paint that as a negative in any way. Dobbie has proven himself at a higher level, but as a younger man. He is now in the role of old stager in a fairly poor team and thats been his level for what? 3 years now?

On Shankland, he needs to prove he has it at a higher level. He has had more abuse from Championship fans for being shite over the years than this relatively small window of praise.

I dont think the level is high enough. I think Shankland will move soon and we will see then if he is of the standard.

I think Dobbie is fully aware of the limitations of the level he is at and signed a new deal anyway. That tells me he is happy despite daft Scotland talk, because if he craved a callup, all he has to do is lift the phone to at least 6 of the 12 Premier clubs and perform there. He didnt though. He is enjoying the tail end of his career for what it is. Everyone else shpuld do the same.

Wait - you're not at the wind up are you? This is a serious suggestion? 
I expect you'd argue Dobbie's place in the Championship team of the year given your strange hatred of him. It appears you have a partner as this Mediocre Hat Stand chap appears to be fairly rattled as well [emoji38]

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

No I wasnt ok with it as it only happened because of who they were and who they played for. Look, I have said in this thread I like Dobbie. If you really want my opinion on him in international football, I think he would be kept pretty quiet. But tbh I dont think its fair to him to paint that as a negative in any way. Dobbie has proven himself at a higher level, but as a younger man. He is now in the role of old stager in a fairly poor team and thats been his level for what? 3 years now?

On Shankland, he needs to prove he has it at a higher level. He has had more abuse from Championship fans for being shite over the years than this relatively small window of praise.

I dont think the level is high enough. I think Shankland will move soon and we will see then if he is of the standard.

I think Dobbie is fully aware of the limitations of the level he is at and signed a new deal anyway. That tells me he is happy despite daft Scotland talk, because if he craved a callup, all he has to do is lift the phone to at least 6 of the 12 Premier clubs and perform there. He didnt though. He is enjoying the tail end of his career for what it is. Everyone else shpuld do the same.

Thank you.

I’m not advocating a call up for either, apart from exceptional cases the jump in standard is too much, but there is a precedent for lower league players being called up if the manager deems them fit for purpose or thinks they have the potential to be.

Archived