Stomach Turning

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sentencing report from Watkins, that was posted on here, is one of the worst things I've ever read in my life.  However, human beings have an almost infinite capacity to do awful things to each other - speak to a social worker or a police officer and they'll tell you.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The sentencing report from Watkins, that was posted on here, is one of the worst things I've ever read in my life.  However, human beings have an almost infinite capacity to do awful things to each other - speak to a social worker or a police officer and they'll tell you.

It's not the rare terrifying lunatic that scares me - it's the numberless people who have known about systematic and institutionalised abuse in churches, care homes, hospitals, youth groups and elsewhere and turned a blind eye or worse, helped to keep it secret. Judging by the incredible number of these cases and how rarely offences in these places got called out quickly, it's easy to assume that a very high proportion of us would be complicit in the right circumstances.

There will always be psychos, but what I can't understand are the far more numerous people who know it's wrong, know it's happening and do absolutely nothing to prevent it.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's not the rare terrifying lunatic that scares me - it's the numberless people who have known about systematic and institutionalised abuse in churches, care homes, hospitals, youth groups and elsewhere and turned a blind eye or worse, helped to keep it secret. Judging by the incredible number of these cases and how rarely offences in these places got called out quickly, it's easy to assume that a very high proportion of us would be complicit in the right circumstances.

There will always be psychos, but what I can't understand are the far more numerous people who know it's wrong, know it's happening and do absolutely nothing to prevent it.

Because there aren't enough people screaming "he's shagging weans" type post.

The problem is the reluctance of society to probe into the depths of the mental and genetic predispositions of humans that lead to us committing abhorrent acts.

The question should be why, not how.

8 hours ago, NJ2 said:

I read the headline of that article and I don’t want to read anymore. Stomach turning sums it up JG

I just skimmed through the report myself.

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

This. I also read it after someone posted a link, and I genuinely wished I hadn’t. Utterly horrific.

I agree that peados should be locked away but also at early stages it might be better to try and see if they can be helped. If someone is thinking things like that then they should be able to speak openly to professionals. How situations like Saville happened is terrifying and there must have been hundreds involved or scared to speak out.
Just locking them up is ignoring a bigger issue.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

I agree that peados should be locked away but also at early stages it might be better to try and see if they can be helped. If someone is thinking things like that then they should be able to speak openly to professionals. How situations like Saville happened is terrifying and there must have been hundreds involved or scared to speak out.

Ian Watkins-type post imo

Ian Watkins-type post imo
If someone is attracted to kids then locking them up is doing f**k all especially when they are now surrounded with other beasts. I don't know what the answer but locking them up is better than not doing anything but its not solving the issue.
Is someone born a peado or do they become one due to circumstances like being the victim of one?
Chopping off their knob might be best?
[emoji38]

I completely disagree.

Some people are wired totally different to what is, correctly, deemed acceptable in society. When this leads to thoughts of abusing children my uneducated guess is that this would not be able to be changed regardless of whatever counseling is done. The only option, in my opinion, is to lock these people up and protect society from them.

I do believe that you can rehabilitate for a large number of offences but nothing of a sexual/torture/human abuse nature.

7 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I completely disagree.

Some people are wired totally different to what is, correctly, deemed acceptable in society. When this leads to thoughts of abusing children my uneducated guess is that this would not be able to be changed regardless of whatever counseling is done. The only option, in my opinion, is to lock these people up and protect society from them.

I do believe that you can rehabilitate for a large number of offences but nothing of a sexual/torture/human abuse nature.

The problem with this being that as a Country the believes in rehabilitation, they'll be released at some point. FWIW, I agree they should be locked up but we shouldn't neglect the required research into what the causes of their criminal depravity is and ways to rehabilitate them.

Castration isn't the answer.....there's plenty of cases of children being abused sexually without the perpetrators genitailia being used.

42 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I completely disagree.

Could you advise of your credentials in the fields of psychology and criminology?

Archived