St Mirren v Killie

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St. Mirren fucked up by sitting back in the second half.  Don't know if that was because Ferdinand went off, but we took advantage and were clearly better second half, without actually creating that many clear cut chances.  Has any other SPL/SPFL team ever given their opponents a goal of a start for four games in a row only to win every single one of them?  #juggernaut

Didn't think St. Mirren played that badly, certainly seemed better than dross like Dundee.

FT 1-2

Think we deserved to lose that over the piece. It was an even first half separated by a freak goal and Killie were much better second half.

Wasn’t sure if their second was over the line, but we can’t be giving free headers 6 yards out and expecting not to concede.

Our main problem is we aren’t any good going forward, at the back or tactically. We also don’t look interested.

We weren’t any good under Stubbs, but remarkably we have managed to get worse since he left. Stubbs drew at Rugby Park in our first competitive game of the season, and he actually won a league game, oh for those halycon days. He returned more points from his 4 league games than Oran has from his 5.

Now we have lost 4 on the spin under Kearney, the only time we he didn’t lose was against a team who had 10 men for an hour, where we managed to scrape a 0-0.

Barring a miracle and/or Dundee somehow managing to continue to be worse than us, we will be relegated.

Utter pish

First half was fine. Wasn't fantastic from either side but we played well. The problem for us at the start of the second half was Killie were really fired up and we'd lost Ferdinand. Putting McGinn in at centre-half worked against Celtic but it didn't work against Hamilton or today. I'm not criticising how he or MacPherson performed, I just think the reshuffling is causing us huge problems. Put Jones in there - if he's not prepared to play him in defence then don't put him on the bench because we have enough midfielders there. We'd be as well giving Heaton or Kpweka a chance there rather than moving folk about and upsetting the team as while Kearney may not rate them a like-for-like change would surely have less of a detrimental impact.

Anyway. Regardless of that, it was ridiculous getting caught out by two short corners. No idea if the winner was over the line but it wasn't one of those that I initially thought "Ooh, that was close". Likewise, no idea if our "goal" that followed was offside or not but my instinct was to look straight at the linesman as I thought Jackson might be off.

And WTF was that nonsense about with restarting play in the first half?

As churlish as this sounds, given we're amazing and probably going to be top of the league before long, but we've really got to stop giving teams a goal start.

It's a tiny bit concerning that we seem to start slowly on every single game, but it doesn't really matter when we consistently finish games so well. Ever since the Betfred at the start of the season we've been a second half team - Clarke and Dyer have done wonders with the fitness levels.

Thought we played very well in the first half but completely lost our way in the second half.

We needed to come out strong in the second half & push for another goal but it just didn’t materialise. Fair play to Killie, played a lot better in the second half and done enough to win the game.

It’s going to be a long season!

In a way, that would have felt like a missed opportunity even if we'd got a point. We played well first half but pretty much chucked it away in the second.

I'm not criticising Kearney for struggling with Stubbs' squad but he keeps making poor decisions and our tactics are a bit suspect. As a few have already said, Paul McGinn at centre half doesn't work and we could have brought Jones on rather than unsettling the team. We also played far too many high balls to Mullen and Jackson, especially early in the second half which let Killie have all the possession. I also can't understand why McShane didn't come instead of Edwards, he is absolutely woeful. Subbing Willock was strange too as he looked threatening on the ball.

I like the look of Jackson but he really should have scored that first chance, and from W1 he did look offside for the disallowed goal. I thought Flynn played well today with some great passes and Hammill looks a great signing already. Stephen McGinn badly needs dropped, he's so far off the pace and I think he's the main reason we're leaving so much space at the edge of the box. 

Killie produced yet another second-half comeback to record their fourth successive Premiership victory in a 2-1 triumph over St Mirren.

Alan Power and Aaron Tshibola were on target to cancel out Adam Hammill's opener as Steve Clarke's men celebrated three precious away points in Paisley.

Bright Enobakhare was handed his first Killie start with Jordan Jones suspended while Kirk Broadfoot returned in place of Scott Boyd at the heart of the defence.

Once again though Killie started slowly with a disputed free kick on the corner of the box giving St Mirren an opportunity to shoot at goal.

And they took their chance as Hammill whipped a fantastic delivery past the onrushing attackers and past Jamie MacDonald and into the corner of the net.

Matty Willock was impressing at the heart of the Saints midfield as Killie struggled to get a foothold in the match with Broadfoot booked for bringing down the lively Simeon Jackson.

Eamonn Brophy was unlucky as his curled effort narrowly missed the top corner but in truth Clarke's men had failed to match their own high standards.

Anton Ferdinand was forced off at the interval and now shooting towards the 1,600 strong Killie crowd, the team sensed this was their opportunity to show their true quality. Five minutes into the second period and the change in tempo and attitude was already evident as Enobakhare, Brophy and Stewart started to find space.

But it was through Alan Power that Killie found a breakthrough as the Irish midfielder produced a stunning rising strike past the helpless Craig Samson.

The tide had turned and it was little surprise when Killie went ahead with the home side claiming controversy.

Stewart lifted a ball to the back post with Aaron Tshibola rising highest to direct his header towards goal. Samson tried desperately to claw it out of the goal but linesman Douglas Ross and the Killie players were convinced and a goal was awarded.

Jackson thought he had produced an equaliser minutes later but the flag was raised for offside after Jamie MacDonald had pulled off a fine reflex save earlier in the move.

As they have done in recent weeks, Clarke's men were able to show their professionalism to see the match out and to rise even higher in the Premiership table.

Kilmarnock: MacDonald; O'Donnell, Broadfoot, Findlay, Taylor; Power, Tshibola, Burke (K.Boyd), Enobakhare, Stewart (McKenzie), Brophy (Dicker)

Really frustrating and hard to take but I'm staying positive. I saw a lot of good things today; good partnership up front, a bit of fight, Willock actually showing something and another good performance from McPherson.

There are still negatives, of course there are, but I'm focussing on the positives. It's coming.

Killie are a great side, but losing Anton rocked us. Add in their questionable goal (from my angle!) and ours being incorrectly chalked off I feel there's stuff to work with.

f**k the negativity. 

Thought we played far better than I've seen us play this season. 

Hamill is a good addition as is Jackson, indeed Kearney signed better after the window than Stubbs managed all summer which speaks volumes. 

The changes though from Kearney were awful. McGinn into the middle and MacPherson to RB arguably was our downfall as we did not look comfortable and disrupted the defence. Why not use Alfie Jones. If you aren't going to play him send him back to Southampton. 

That said Killies first was a belter. Not sure if the second was over the line or Jackson was offside for our disallowed goal but both looked close. 

We were off it first half due to high press and wind. Second half we were outstanding. Power and Tish ran riot. What a strike from Power,  minute that went in our fans upped it and was a formality. 

St Mirren will survive but need to weed out some deadwood.

Killie fans especially second half were sensational.

St Mirren looked far better than Dundee and Motherwell although the first half was probably our worst performance of the season. I actually said at half time that having to stop and then start again could be the worst thing for them because of the energy they played with in the first half.

It’s easy to say this after the game and with our recent run of comebacks but I think most of us would have expected us to win the game if we got an equalizer and so it proved.

Not seen many comments about Collum yet but I thought he was shocking for both clubs, it’ll be interesting to see whether they got the big decisions right. If they did then fair play I suppose. Think there was nearly 10 bookings and I just didn’t think it was that kind of game.

Our support was superb again and the best bit of the day was the St Mirren fans in the corners reaction to their “equalizer”. SCENES!!!

I thought St Mirren probably deserved to go in at half time one up, we were very poor. After 5-10 minutes of the second half I was confident that there was no way we were losing the game.

Powers strike was superb and I'm not convinced the second was over the line but I think we deserved to win the game anyway.

St Mirren are far from the worst team we have faced and I really hope they don't go down. I enjoy the games against them.

Special mention to the young fatty who whipped his top off at the disallowed goal and the lassie at the end who had a massive heads gone.

Yet another injury causing us problems didn’t look anywhere near as comfortable without Ferdinand in the 2nd.

Think we were a bit hard done to with the defeat a draw would of been fair imo we were better 1st and killie better 2nd Jackson missing a sitter and a goal chopped off looked very close from the replays I seen although hard to tell from the angle.

Just disappointed in the poor substitutions imo willock was wrong one to take off and jones should of came on rather than play players out of position no point him being here if we aren’t going to play him when needed.

I’m afraid we just don’t have enough quality in the squad to survive this season. Stubbs has left behind the mother of all shambles in terms of the squad.

Kearney must be given the chance to rebuild for next season and get rid of all Stubbs deadwood. 

I’m afraid we just don’t have enough quality in the squad to survive this season. Stubbs has left behind the mother of all shambles in terms of the squad.
Kearney must be given the chance to rebuild for next season and get rid of all Stubbs deadwood. 

If we do good business in January you never know A few other clubs really struggling for wins.

I think the majority of Stubbs signings will be offski in January

We didn’t get much luck today don’t think we deserved to lose

Archived