Next Month face Albiana and Isarel

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Is there a current squad list anywhere?

I’d far rather have Paterson playing up front somewhere, the position where he has had success of late for his club at the top level.

In contrast, here’s what his manager said of his defensive abilities earlier this year:

IMG_1542384856.967196.jpg

Goalkeepers: Scott Bain (Celtic), Jamie MacDonald (Kilmarnock), Allan McGregor (Rangers).

Defenders: Scott McKenna (Aberdeen), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen), David Bates (Hamburg), Jack Hendry (Celtic).

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Ryan Christie (Celtic), John Fleck (Sheffield United)*, James Forrest (Celtic), Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth), Gary Mackay-Steven (Aberdeen), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Callum Paterson (Cardiff City), Scott McTominay (Manchester United).

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday), Oliver McBurnie (Swansea City), Matt Phillips (West Bromwich Albion), Johnny Russell (Sporting Kansas City

17 minutes ago, Highloon said:

All getting a bit farcical, but I am sure the management team have it covered....;-)

Aye, who knows what the dream team of Big Eck and Grantie have up their sleeves?

As for feeling sorry for McLeish, well he turned his back on the national team when it suited him so why should he expect the players to act any differently?

I almost feel sorry for McLeish, players hanging him out to dry here.
Yip. He is a bit unlucky with the genuine injuries too.
I also can't think of many Scotland managers in my lifetime who (rightly or wrongly) have been given as little time by the fans as him.

8 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Yip. He is a bit unlucky with the genuine injuries too.
I also can't think of many Scotland managers in my lifetime who (rightly or wrongly) have been given as little time by the fans as him.

As has been said, he's brought it on himself. Walking away from the country, and then being exposed as someone who helped cheat the majority of clubs in the country, has seriously eroded any goodwill he had. Add in some dreadful tactical decisions/public moments, and the insipid performances, and you've no wiggle room 

9 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I can't think of many who had previously walked out, then got appointed in such shabby circumstances.

The fact that there's no reservoir of goodwill for him is not unrelated to his back story.

As has been said, he's brought it on himself. Walking away from the country, and then being exposed as someone who helped cheat the majority of clubs in the country, has seriously eroded any goodwill he had. Add in some dreadful tactical decisions/public moments, and the insipid performances, and you've no wiggle room 
I'd agree with most of that. I just found that he was in a more unusual position than most recent managers: he'd been the manager before (and then walked away), was seen as a 'jobs for the boys' appointment, and could barely string a sentence together as a pundit. He wasn't going to get time that he might've needed.
We've pretty much seen over the past week that time with him is the issue though.

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'd agree with most of that. I just found that he was in a more unusual position than most recent managers: he'd been the manager before (and then walked away), was seen as a 'jobs for the boys' appointment, and could barely string a sentence together as a pundit. He wasn't going to get time that he might've needed.
We've pretty much seen over the past week that time with him is the issue though.

What do you mean with the bit about time being the issue with him?

Doesn't his club record point to bright starts, followed by deterioration?  Latterly of course, he tended to skip the first part of that.

What do you mean with the bit about time being the issue with him?
Doesn't his club record point to bright starts, followed by deterioration?  Latterly of course, he tended to skip the first part of that.
The more time the players have spent with him, the more we're seeing call-offs.
There are definitely genuine injuries in there, but the extend of this exodus is bizarre.

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

The more time the players have spent with him, the more we're seeing call-offs.
There are definitely genuine injuries in there, but the extend of this exodus is bizarre.

Ah right, I see what you mean.  Call offs do seem to be on an unprecedented scale, but I've no idea if that is due to misfortune or a deep seated unease about the regime.

Either way, as said already, McLeish won't get the benefit of any doubt. 

To be honest, I don't blame him for walking before, given that he was apparently quadrupling his wages.  It should however have prevented him from later making noises about not being able to say no when "his country came calling".   And it should certainly have prevented such bleating from being successful in bagging the job.  

EBTs, jibbering incoherently, losing lots of matches and surrounding himself with cretinous assistants, have not been helpful either.

24 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Asked earlier on but got overlooked like Ritchie Foster

Are these call offs for tmrw or both games...

For both games.

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ah right, I see what you mean.  Call offs do seem to be on an unprecedented scale, but I've no idea if that is due to misfortune or a deep seated unease about the regime.

To be honest, I don't blame him for walking before, given that he was apparently quadrupling his wages.  It should however have prevented him from later making noises about not being able to say no when "his country came calling".   And it should certainly have prevented such bleating from being successful in bagging the job.  

EBTs, jibbering incoherently, losing lots of matches and surrounding himself with cretinous assistants, have not been helpful either.

Agreed. There is also a real dislike of the SFA, I think the backash against McLeish right from the start was mainly for the reasons you state, but also because his appointment typified everything that has been wrong with the SFA over the last 20 years (and more). His appointment almost became a symbol of that which has meant fans have rejected it even more.

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All right, you'd need to be daft to risk injury playing for McLeish or his inept employers.

If he ever had "a time" in football it was a long time ago. Everyone on this site knew that, but the people running football in this country didn’t.

Archived