Dunfermline v Queens

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Thought the chance that longridge(I think) had first half where he missed the target by a distance was a really glaring opportunity. He really should have scored.

Was that the one skied into the stand from the edge of the box midway through the 1st half? You are maybe right, you would have had a better perspective than me. The open goal header fresh aired though was a much better opportunity. I presume if you were behind the other goal you wouldnt be able to see what a let off that was.

Resting Semple actually shows the manager has real balls.

on the whole that was a surprise to a high number of supporters Semple not starting.

imagine the clamour for his job if we had conceded 2 or 3 today.

That said, Sheffield United will be over the moon that Semple is being looked after in the right way. Which opens the door for other players coming up North.

Today shows that 2 or 3 wins in a row pits you right in the mix.

first quarter of fixtures and I think it has gone better than most of us hoped for.

1 minute ago, SueSue said:

Resting Semple actually shows the manager has real balls.

on the whole that was a surprise to a high number of supporters Semple not starting.

imagine the clamour for his job if we had conceded 2 or 3 today.

That said, Sheffield United will be over the moon that Semple is being looked after in the right way. Which opens the door for other players coming up North.

Today shows that 2 or 3 wins in a row pits you right in the mix.

first quarter of fixtures and I think it has gone better than most of us hoped for.

Excellent post .

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Was that the one skied into the stand from the edge of the box midway through the 1st half? You are maybe right, you would have had a better perspective than me. The open goal header fresh aired though was a much better opportunity. I presume if you were behind the other goal you wouldnt be able to see what a let off that was.

Yes i was at that end and the first chance is as you describe. I don`t think he was under any real pressure and it was a bad miss. Also as you suggest I didn`t see the open goal header well but you could tell from the home fans reactions that it was a big chance.

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

Genuinely not sure how much was a deliberate tactic to hold on for a point and how much was just being really poor.

Two sides who struggled to create anything and who'll, almost certainly, end up close to each in mid-table.

Bit of a smash and grab considering how much of the ball Dunfermline had, but then they created so little they cant really have too many complaints

Going by Naysmiths interview, it seems it was a deliberate tactic to defend and hit on the break.

Fair play, it wasnt pretty to watch, but it worked

Poor result for us in the end but our defence looked competent and kept Dobbie quiet although Queens look pretty dire (apart from two good saves from your keeper), just a shame we were toothless going forward but presented QoS with the one chance they needed.

AJ choosing to play Hippo on the wing and Connelly through the middle was utterly baffling. AJ's coat is on a shoogly peg and I don't want him out yet his next 2 games look very tough indeed.

I thought your central defenders did well against him when we aimlessly thumped the ball forward but in all other aspects Dykes was excellent today. 

Maybe I'm a little confused after his peroxide accident but in the past he's looked nothing more a poor target man, rarely winning headers and when he did not finding teammates. Seems to have lost weight, using his size much more intelligently and actually capable of controlling the ball.

Unless you have in fact signed a new player with the same name this year.

13 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Maybe I'm a little confused after his peroxide accident but in the past he's looked nothing more a poor target man, rarely winning headers and when he did not finding teammates. Seems to have lost weight, using his size much more intelligently and actually capable of controlling the ball.

Unless you have in fact signed a new player with the same name this year.

:lol: Nope he`s the same guy. He`s become a really important player for us. 

8 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

Might be an even better player if he concentrated on his football more rather than his fashion :)

Dykes has improved as a player but his weakness is scoring goals.

Our goal on Sat if Dykes is through in goal then the keeper saves it would not finish it like Todd.

8 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Dykes has improved as a player but his weakness is scoring goals.

Our goal on Sat if Dykes is through in goal then the keeper saves it would not finish it like Todd.

You mean if Dykes is through on goal he hesitates and looks for Dobbie, either resulting in a goal for Dobbie or the defenders getting into position and smothering the chance.

Other than that though, aye he's like a different player this season, much improved 

Dykes does seem to have that irritating trait of struggling with easy chances, then scoring more difficult ones. Having watched the video of Todd’s goal I do tend to agree that Robinson would be favourite if it was Dykes bearing down on him.

Finishing can be worked on though, and he has one of the best in the country to learn from.

I liked him even when he was a victim of the boo boys last season, but there is no denying he has ramped up his quality in the last 6 months or so. He is now a key player for us. When he’s playing well so is the team, and when he has an off day we struggle.

The reason I’m not overly concerned about his finishing is that he has come on leaps and bounds in other areas that are much tougher to learn and rely more on instinct. His reading of the game, anticipation, and work off the ball are now major weapons for us.

As soon as he finds a bit of consistency, and the back of the net a bit more he’ll be offski.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Dykes does seem to have that irritating trait of struggling with easy chances, then scoring more difficult ones. Having watched the video of Todd’s goal I do tend to agree that Robinson would be favourite if it was Dykes bearing down on him.

Finishing can be worked on though, and he has one of the best in the country to learn from.

I liked him even when he was a victim of the boo boys last season, but there is no denying he has ramped up his quality in the last 6 months or so. He is now a key player for us. When he’s playing well so is the team, and when he has an off day we struggle.

The reason I’m not overly concerned about his finishing is that he has come on leaps and bounds in other areas that are much tougher to learn and rely more on instinct. His reading of the game, anticipation, and work off the ball are now major weapons for us.

As soon as he finds a bit of consistency, and the back of the net a bit more he’ll be offski.

Agreed re Dykes and the progress he's made.

I'm afraid however that having watched the posted clip, I don't really hold with the wisdom about Todd's finish yesterday.  He got a shot away, but I'm sure he was delightedly surprised to see Robinson getting out the way of it.  We'll definitely take it, but I think we're kidding ourselves if we see it as a great finish.

Archived