Dunfermline v Queens

Going by Naysmiths interview, it seems it was a deliberate tactic to defend and hit on the break.
Fair play, it wasnt pretty to watch, but it worked

The result is the most important aspect and every supporter’s weekend is much more enjoyable with 3 points in the bag. The tactics employed yesterday were horrible to watch. Defenders lumping the ball in the general direction of Dobbie, creative players marginalised, our holding midfielders giving the ball away repeatedly and us only managing one shot at goal in 90 minutes. We are very pleased at the outcome but had he lost that match (and we deserved to lose it) the fans reaction would have been very very different.

If you sit deep and play horrible ugly football and somehow get results the fans will tolerate it because that is the most important aspect for all of us but once the inevitable defeats come along with this approach then the mood changes pretty quickly.

My eternal hope is that GN marks that game down as a fluke and realises that we can’t ride our luck in that fashion too often and we get back to delivering the sort of great football that we are more than capable of.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not sure anyone is saying it’s a good finish by Todd are they? He even says himself in his interview he slipped as he hit it.

What is being speculated is that even in such fortuitous circumstances Dykes would likely find a way of missing.

On a different topic, we’ve probably stolen 3 points in our last 2 league games. Picking up an undeserved point against Alloa, and snatching all three yesterday. I doubt we’d have done that last season.

I’m not sure what that proves exactly. Are we better? Got a better mentality? Or are we just getting some of the infamous luck that evens itself out over the season?

12 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The result is the most important aspect and every supporter’s weekend is much more enjoyable with 3 points in the bag. The tactics employed yesterday were horrible to watch. Defenders lumping the ball in the general direction of Dobbie, creative players marginalised, our holding midfielders giving the ball away repeatedly and us only managing one shot at goal in 90 minutes. We are very pleased at the outcome but had he lost that match (and we deserved to lose it) the fans reaction would have been very very different.

If you sit deep and play horrible ugly football and somehow get results the fans will tolerate it because that is the most important aspect for all of us but once the inevitable defeats come along with this approach then the mood changes pretty quickly.

My eternal hope is that GN marks that game down as a fluke and realises that we can’t ride our luck in that fashion too often and we get back to delivering the sort of great football that we are more than capable of.

I think its far more likely a case of "horses for courses". Naysmith will set the team up in whatever way he thinks is most likely to get a result.

I think its far more likely a case of "horses for courses". Naysmith will set the team up in whatever way he thinks is most likely to get a result.
I expect so. I find it strange/worrying that he thought the only way we would get anything yesterday was on the counter attack. It obviously worked yesterday as we took our chance but I'm of the opinion had we been more positive in our approach we'd have created more chances. We've shown we can cut teams open quite easily on our day and I hope that positive approach is deployed more often than not this season as there aren't any sides in the division I'd fear would give us a hiding if we opened up a bit more.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I expect so. I find it strange/worrying that he thought the only way we would get anything yesterday was on the counter attack. It obviously worked yesterday as we took our chance but I'm of the opinion had we been more positive in our approach we'd have created more chances. We've shown we can cut teams open quite easily on our day and I hope that positive approach is deployed more often than not this season as there aren't any sides in the division I'd fear would give us a hiding if we opened up a bit more.

We were 3-0 down to Alloa only two weeks ago and lost two goals to a team from the league below us last week. Before that we shipped 3 to Partick and Crusaders. I dont think the idea that our best chance of winning is to make the games open really stands up to much scrutiny.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If we are more positive say like at Partick then we may score more goals but we will concede more .

I would rather win one nil in a poor game than lose 3-2  in a good game to watch .

Winning is all that matters 

We were 3-0 down to Alloa only two weeks ago and lost two goals to a team from the league below us last week. Before that we shipped 3 to Partick and Crusaders. I dont think the idea that our best chance of winning is to make the games open really stands up to much scrutiny.
I don't think our approach was the issue against Alloa. The players looked like they couldn't be bothered. Had we had a more defensive approach I expect the outcome would have been similar.
If we are more positive say like at Partick then we may score more goals but we will concede more .
I would rather win one nil in a poor game than lose 3-2  in a good game to watch .
Winning is all that matters 
I didn't think we were particularly positive against Partick which is kind of my point.

We’d conceded 8 goals in the last 3 games. Tightening it up seems like a perfectly rational decision.

No surprise to see the usual suspects Naysmith-bashing even after a victory.
Who's Naysmith bashing? I was defending the guy last week and had a go at the players for their awful showing. I literally said the same thing in my last post.

I'm not sure why it's unacceptable to be concerned about our lack of creativity against a side very similar in quality to ourselves just because we took our one chance.

Who's Naysmith bashing? I was defending the guy last week and had a go at the players for their awful showing. I literally said the same thing in my last post.

I'm not sure why it's unacceptable to be concerned about our lack of creativity against a side very similar in quality to ourselves just because we took our one chance.

Well I was mainly referring to RJC’s waffle but if the shoe fits! You were fizzing about the utterly ridiculous lineup!

Claiming that the tactics are to blame when we lose, but it is down to luck when we win is definitely Naysmith bashing!

Well I was mainly referring to RJC’s waffle but if the shoe fits! You were fizzing about the utterly ridiculous lineup!

Claiming that the tactics are to blame when we lose, but it is down to luck when we win is definitely Naysmith bashing!
Yes I was fizzing he swapped Fordyce for Semple, along with the majority of the support. Semple is a better defender than Fordyce so I'd say it was fair for myself and others to feel that way.

Again, when we drew against Alloa I put the blame entirely on the players. There were even posts calling for GN's head due to his demeanor in the interview in which I responded that you couldn't blame the guy for feeling down as his players let him down. I wasn't at the game yesterday but I think even looking at the stats it's pretty clear we were lucky to get the win. I don't think I claim our excellent performances against Falkirk, Ayr and County were lucky and I can't really think of any time this season where I've 'laid into' Naysmith this season. I've probably been leaning the other way tbqh.

Naysmith got his tactics right yesterday and the team really grafted to deliver a really important 3 points. That said I don`t consider it Naysmith bashing to be cocerned that used week to week these tactics would significantly decrease the impact our best player.  It was awful to watch yesterday but I still left the ground smiling. That`s football.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, a couple of posters explicitly do just that.

Yes I posted after the match that I thought it was a composed finish, The folk near me at the match were really all of that view. Seeing it again and hearing what he says makes it clear that he slipped.

At least my waffle is actually based on having been at the game.

6 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Our highlights make yesterday look like one of the worst games ever. 

I'm not saying this is an inaccurate portrayal of events but I'm very glad I didn't go.

I`ve been at worse games but it was dire stuff.

I`m presuming Stirling Albion v Queens Park was like el classico in comparison ;)

Let's not kid ourselves, we won the game more through Dunfermline's ineptitude rather than any shrewd tactical set-up by Naysmith.  Even taking into account his plan to stifle Dunfermline and hit them on the break, creating about two genuine scoring chances during 90 minutes shows just how poor this approach was.  Pre-match the Manager was bemoaning the number of drawn games saying he wanted to turn draws into wins yet his set up was more to not get beat rather than win. We have the best striker in the division yet he was starved of service and spent more time dropping into midfield to stop Dunfermline. We had two central midfielders who, when they did win the ball, promptly gifted it back to the opposition. Norman Jnr. was like a thinner, younger version of John Rankin, plenty of effort but sadly little genuine input.  Dunfermline are no great shakes at the minute, their fans admit this, and they've lost some of their better players from the team we scudded there last season and rather than have a go our Manager decides to let them take the initiative and hope for chances on the break. Obviously he can say the result backs up his tactics but as I said it was more down to luck and a poor end product by Dunfermline, and a couple of MoM saves from Martin. We have a gem in Stephen Dobbie, he's not going to score every game, but we should be set up to at least try and make sure he gets chances. Don't get me wrong I was delighted to steal 3 points but that doesn't mean I have to  accept a piss poor performance to get them. I wonder how many people on here who say the result is  the main thing also wonder why fans are drifting away from football,  performances like yesterday's probably go a long way to answering that. 

While I'm on a rant, if the Dunfermline PA announcer reads this site, or someone could point it out to him.  Queen of the South's nickname is THE DOONHAMERS not THE DOONHAMMERS. I'm sure he wouldn't like other clubs to address his team as THE PEARS. 

Let's not kid ourselves, we won the game more through Dunfermline's ineptitude rather than any shrewd tactical set-up by Naysmith.  Even taking into account his plan to stifle Dunfermline and hit them on the break, creating about two genuine scoring chances during 90 minutes shows just how poor this approach was.  Pre-match the Manager was bemoaning the number of drawn games saying he wanted to turn draws into wins yet his set up was more to not get beat rather than win. We have the best striker in the division yet he was starved of service and spent more time dropping into midfield to stop Dunfermline. We had two central midfielders who, when they did win the ball, promptly gifted it back to the opposition. Norman Jnr. was like a thinner, younger version of John Rankin, plenty of effort but sadly little genuine input.  Dunfermline are no great shakes at the minute, their fans admit this, and they've lost some of their better players from the team we scudded there last season and rather than have a go our Manager decides to let them take the initiative and hope for chances on the break. Obviously he can say the result backs up his tactics but as I said it was more down to luck and a poor end product by Dunfermline, and a couple of MoM saves from Martin. We have a gem in Stephen Dobbie, he's not going to score every game, but we should be set up to at least try and make sure he gets chances. Don't get me wrong I was delighted to steal 3 points but that doesn't mean I have to  accept a piss poor performance to get them. I wonder how many people on here who say the result is  the main thing also wonder why fans are drifting away from football,  performances like yesterday's probably go a long way to answering that. 
While I'm on a rant, if the Dunfermline PA announcer reads this site, or someone could point it out to him.  Queen of the South's nickname is THE DOONHAMERS not THE DOONHAMMERS. I'm sure he wouldn't like other clubs to address his team as THE PEARS. 

You have a shite nickname,
Deal with it.

Archived