Pyramid 2019/2020

7 hours ago, Spyro said:

I agree that the SoS is only there because of history, but it DOES still serve a purpose. Also it creates another option when dealing this West region fiasco as Dev says... who’s to say it won’t be the backbone/starting point for any west region teams to progress into the pyramid of nothing else is forthcoming?

Although I can see the current SoS teams struggling, or not accepting an influx of Glasgow/Lanarkshire teams coming in as it would involve a lot more travelling. But I would never be dismissive of it as it still serves a purpose for the teams who are currently in it and has not be any trouble over the years, it’s just a bit poor in quality but that’s not the league’s fault at all

Maybe if there were separate South and North Conferences in order to cut out the long distance travelling? The winners of both Conferences to play off for the Championship title and so a place in the Lowland League play-off with the EoS winners?

This would also give somewhere for west clubs to go down to if relegated from the Lowland League.

Could something like this be up and running for 2020/21? I don't see any reason why not? It may also be the pressure that the West Region SJFA needs to move to the Pyramid or not. If it was a NO then clubs would have somewhere to go in order to join the Pyramid.

5 minutes ago, Dev said:

Maybe if there were separate South and North Conferences in order to cut out the long distance travelling? The winners of both Conferences to play off for the Championship title and so a place in the Lowland League play-off with the EoS winners?

This would also give somewhere for west clubs to go down to if relegated from the Lowland League.

Could something like this be up and running for 2020/21? I don't see any reason why not? It may also be the pressure that the West Region SJFA needs to move to the Pyramid or not. If it was a NO then clubs would have somewhere to go in order to join the Pyramid.

Sounds ok but your asking for more play offs. Isn't there enough play offs as it is and how would it fit into the calendar with extra games ?

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Sounds ok but your asking for more play offs. Isn't there enough play offs as it is and how would it fit into the calendar with extra games ?

Would be no extra games if the LL went to two relegation spots - with one automatic EoS promotion and another for the SoS North/South play-off winner (aka West).

On 27/06/2019 at 09:51, Dev said:

Perfect solution to the West 'problem'.

Bonnyton being allowed into the South creates the precedent.

Edited by Doonhamer1969

13 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

No it doesn't its already established any west club could go there. As thats what Auchinleck were told to do.

Why don’t they? What’s the worst that could happen? One season of humping everyone, then a playoff against the EoS champions for a place in the LL...

Edited by Spyro

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

Why don’t they? What’s the worst that could happen? One season of humping everyone, then a playoff against the EoS champions for a place in the LL...

Not a single SoS club managed a league average attendance over 100 last year. Any club with the ability to "hump everyone" face potentially losing their current squad capable of doing so. Either through being asked for a pay cut, the extra travel and junior rivals targeting players.

The worst that could happen is that the club loses its squad, some fans, money, the Lowland League play-off with the West Premiership entering Tier 6 for 2020-21. That's the kind of considerations they would of had at the end of the 2018-19 season.

37 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

No it doesn't its already established any west club could go there. As thats what Auchinleck were told to do.

'Established' by whom , and who 'told' Auchinleck to apply to SoS?

Edited by Doonhamer1969

Just now, Doonhamer1969 said:

'Established' by whom ?

By precedent: East Kilbride being accepted there for the 2013/14 season, only for the Lowland League to be created to prevent their participation. Edusport Academy being accepted while playing in Hamilton. Bonnyton Thistle out of Ayrshire with Girvan also providing the another historical example. And now Edusport Academy reserves being accepted playing out Lanarkshire.

You've also got the story, backed up by the experience Kelty Hearts went through trying to get licensed, of Auchinleck Talbot being told joing the SoS to meet the pyramid league requirement.

Somehow get the feeling if Talbot go first, Kilwinning, Clydebank, Cumnock et all will no doubt follow rather than being left behind... 

What Talbot does is of absolutely no influence to Clydebank fans. With the greatest respect to Talbot for the great set up they have and their history, however we wouldnt need to have any one ‘lead the way’ in terms of our ambition, probably in the same way that Talbot wouldn’t care what Clydebank did.

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What Talbot does is of absolutely no influence to Clydebank fans. With the greatest respect to Talbot for the great set up they have and their history, however we wouldnt need to have any one ‘lead the way’ in terms of our ambition, probably in the same way that Talbot wouldn’t care what Clydebank did.

Nothing to do with leading the way...and I only use Talbot as an example. No one thought Kelty and Dalkeith were trailblazers until the rest of the East juniors followed their lead...

In fact, Kelty got absolute dogs-abuse!!!

Edited by Spyro

29 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Somehow get the feeling if Talbot go first, Kilwinning, Clydebank, Cumnock et all will no doubt follow rather than being left behind... 

After the 2018 moves to the EoS, Auchinleck Talbot were one of the clubs regularly quoted in articles around the pyramid. They standard line was that they would join if others did, but they are happy with being a junior club.

You can contrast and compare them to Kelty. Both pursued licensing, both were told to join Tier 6 pyramid leagues (SoS and EoS). Auchinleck decided against pursuing licensing at that point.

Maybe if Clydebank reaffirm their decision to move senior at the AGM next month they can attract other interest and see some momentum build around it.

6 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What's going on with Clydebank ICR? I think in this forum we have always looked at them as a potential Kelty of the west or at least as a club who would push things forward since they stated their aim is to join the pyramid. Given all the changes in the last 18 months, any reason why there seems to be no developments from Clydebank? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I notice ww are now in the Scottish Cup prelims obviously due to relegation,are the HFL clubs safeguarded regarding the Scottish Cup then given they have no relegation  ?

If so this is major anomaly for the pyramid system surely  :blink:

Screenshot_20190629-054134_Drive.jpg

Edited by newcastle broon

What's going on with Clydebank ICR? I think in this forum we have always looked at them as a potential Kelty of the west or at least as a club who would push things forward since they stated their aim is to join the pyramid. Given all the changes in the last 18 months, any reason why there seems to be no developments from Clydebank? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ive got absolutely no clue. I think the board believed the west entering the pyramid would happen at the end of the season and went along with it. Im not on the board so have no idea about the thought process or internal discussions and with the greatest respect probably wouldnt discuss it openly if I had been.
There is an agm coming up and it may become clearer what the next steps are going to be. On one hand the compulsive in me would have preferred we just went to the east and on the other I worry that financially we may have struggled. Regardless Holm Park should be able to achieve licensing in the coming season and that should make things more positive.

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

I notice ww are now in the Scottish Cup prelims obviously due to relegation,are the HFL clubs safeguarded regarding the Scottish Cup then given they have no relegation  ?

If so this is major anomaly for the pyramid system surely  :blink:

Screenshot_20190629-054134_Drive.jpg

The Highland League and Lowland League are both at the same tier. It can hardly be a surprise that they enter at the same stage?

The only difference I would see is that the top 16 in each enter at the First Round. Since the Highland has usually had extra teams while the Lowland is fixed at 16. That'd be under the current format of course. Who knows how the SFA might reformat the early rounds of the competition with more clubs getting licensed.