Calling Cards of Morons

You could equally argue that it's rude for the waiter or waitress to come across and interrupt your conversation and expect your attention when you're busy. It's not all about them.

Or you could accept that making hard and fast rules about behaviour in restaurants is weird. As long as everyone involved is polite I don't see the issue.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

"Can you just give us a couple of more minutes to decide please?" is hardly equivalent to snapping your fingers or whistling them over 

Fine if you are actually trying to decide, not so much if you are detailing the mundane details of your day 

I went out for a meal with my ex girlfriend and her family and her and her mum ended up in a shouting match with a waitress. The waitress had to get dragged away by her manager as we were leaving. I can’t recall what it was about, very odd behaviour.

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Fine if you are actually trying to decide, not so much if you are detailing the mundane details of your day 

What difference does it make to the staff? Just be polite to them regardless of the reasons why you haven't made your mind up and it's a non-issue

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Seriously, what is the issue with politely saying I need a bit more time?

Nothing at all.  But, we've wandered a good bit off of the original point which is that it's rude to ask the server to come back to take your order because you want to finish your discussion. 

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Nothing at all.  But, we've wandered a good bit off of the original point which is that it's rude to ask the server to come back to take your order because you want to finish your discussion. 

Why is that rude? It would surely depend on how you phrase it?

Just now, hk blues said:

Because you are suggesting finishing your discussion is more important than letting them  do their job.  That is the inference.  

Just say you need a bit more time to decide, thanks. Then they come back 5 minutes later. No one has been inconvenienced in this situation. 

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Because you are suggesting finishing your discussion is more important than letting them  do their job.  That is the inference.  

I was a waiter in my younger years, this never bothered me in the slightest (unless it was after 10pm and I just wanted to get home).